Datsun 240z

Associate
I'm really interested in one of these but cannot for the life of me seem to find one any where. I've eBayed, scouted though autotrader and googled, but nothing.

Any one own one, or know much about them? What sort of thing should I be looking out for if I were to buy one? The 240z is obviously getting on abit now so would reliability be a problem or are they like most other jap cars and pretty reliable?

I love the look of them and really want to get a motor with some character. I'm 24 with 3 years no claims. You think the insurance would kill me at my age?

Thanks for you help guys.

Soldato
I like them too, great looking cars and I find the interior very much 'modern' style for a 70's machine.

Not sure about reliability, but they probably wont be, as lets face it, anything that age will have its issues.

Ebay usually has one or two at any time, give it a while and see what you find.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datsun_240Z

Permabanned
More likely to find a 260 or 280 but well worth holding out for a 240 in my eyes.

Check yahoo.jp auctions regularly.

You'd need to find someone to fetch it and ship it but there are a couple of guys on the www.retro-rides.com forums that would be able to assist/give you info.

I'd kill for a 240zg:
nec963ez5.jpg

<3

*n

Associate
this one is nice too :)
Here

I have often thought about one of these as my next project so many options for engines LS1, sbc, Rb26dett,rb25det, sr20det, i think the lexus v8 lump goes in too.

looks awesome especially on halibrands as with the car above:)

the video from the poster above is quite a famous 240z its a LS1 with a charger
if you want to see more vids of it google for "darius 240z"

Last edited:
Associate
OP
that's a beauty. Nice colour. Don't think i could put up with the chrome, but I guess they don't come like that as standard.

penski said:
More likely to find a 260 or 280 but well worth holding out for a 240 in my eyes.

Check yahoo.jp auctions regularly.

You'd need to find someone to fetch it and ship it but there are a couple of guys on the www.retro-rides.com forums that would be able to assist/give you info.

I'd kill for a 240zg:
nec963ez5.jpg

<3

*n

Permabanned
dantonkin said:
that's a beauty. Nice colour. Don't think i could put up with the chrome, but I guess they don't come like that as standard.

What chrome?

The zg was an uber-special homologation edition.

Either Old English White or that burgandy shade, black wheelarches and RS Watanabes.

*n

Soldato
I was going to do a full resto on a 240Z when I was in Cali. Got the car, dragged it home (it was a fair basket case), started to pull it apart.

Then I discovered a few minor things that turned me off it. Mostly the folded and straightened body panels indicating it had been in at least one shunt of major proportions and had been (shoddily) repaired. Pulled the drivetrain and sold it on to another guy restoring one and threw the rest in a wrecking yard.

I've always loved the sound of the 240's. The 260's just couldn't compare with that single carb, and of course the 280's didn't even sound like a Z-car to me with the fuel injection. Those twin carbs on the 240 just make a completely unique GROWL that raises the hair on the back of my neck. Also the shape of the 240 is absolutely perfect. The 260's were very close, but the 280ZX's completely spoiled it in my opinion. They are still a very sexy car, but just nothing in comparison to the 240. I rank the 240 right up there with an E-type for looks.

Permabanned
240's are really hard to get hold for sensible money now, unfortunately most rusted badly,even more so than the british cars :(

Back
Top Bottom