Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 12th April 2007

Associate
Thanks as always for the news Rich. Another great week, with a 40 million team tiffy as well! :cool:

Originally Posted by Bigstan
Almost tempted to run it with a different username for a couple of weeks to knock Mr Unforgiven from his perch ;)

That Quad will definitely put us young whippersnappers in our place (us being me and everyone else in the single crunchers...)!

It will be good to see what kind of damage one of those things could do. :eek:

Soldato
Bah, finally get on the C2D bandwagon and now I find people are jumping off for the Quads :(

Anyway, mine is installed and appears to be working nicely, although I am a touch concerned about the temps. According to Intel's TAT utility my E6600 idles at around 30C and when at full load reaches around 50C. Is this normal for a C2D? I was led to believe these chips were much cooler but 50C seems a bit toastie for stock speeds on a Ninja. Oh, and why is it pretty much every piece of software for measuring temps gives me a different value :p

Dunno, not had an Intel chip for years so could just be too used to frosty AMDs.

Soldato
SiriusB said:
Bah, finally get on the C2D bandwagon and now I find people are jumping off for the Quads :(

Anyway, mine is installed and appears to be working nicely, although I am a touch concerned about the temps. According to Intel's TAT utility my E6600 idles at around 30C and when at full load reaches around 50C. Is this normal for a C2D? I was led to believe these chips were much cooler but 50C seems a bit toastie for stock speeds on a Ninja. Oh, and why is it pretty much every piece of software for measuring temps gives me a different value :p

Dunno, not had an Intel chip for years so could just be too used to frosty AMDs.
30C on idle and 50C loaded is spot on. TAT and CoreTemp should give the same results as they're reading off the chip itself. The motherboard utility will give lower temps as it's reading the motherboard sensor.

Associate
bah ive lost loads of production :( i forgot to set up power saving to not turn this machine off when i went to bed and it turned itself off as i slept - sodding thing. Ahh well hopefully my latest overclocks will help me pull some back

Associate
hehe FahMon is scoring me at little over 500ppd at the moment - not great considering i was up to 1000ppd only the other day. Im off out tonight though so its going to be crunching away all night without interruption (as long as theres no power cuts)

Soldato
SiriusB said:
Wow not bad. I always assumed the Ninja was the daddy. Guess not anymore! See, this is what I get for waiting too bloody long :p

my cpu is lapped (mirror finish) AS5 fully tempered, and air flow in my silverstone is prity good - but to be honest a ninja would improve temps - but an ultra-120 extreme is the daddy (don't think if it's avaliable in the uk yet)

is the surface of your ihs flat? or are the 6600 just hotter?

Soldato
As far as I know all the C2D chips are pretty much the same - hence why nearly all of them can get to at least around 3GHz.

To be honest I didn't really make a point of seeing how flat the IHS was. I did clean it before applying the AS5 and it didn't seem concave.

I will see how it goes while the AS5 is setting and the chip gets burned in so to speak. The real test of course is when I get around to overclocking it. Am I correct in that the max safe temp is around 65C? If I can stay under the max safe temp and still reach at least 3GHz I'll be happy. I will be going H20 in a few months so its only a temporary thing :D.

Back
Top Bottom