Catch all account

Permabanned
Someone at work was telling me about a catch all account set up for a company where if someone spells the the email address wrongly and as long as this possible combination is set up by the server ( I guess), the mail will still get delivered

Is this possible, and are there any good guides available?

Soldato
A Catchall address is as the name sounds a way of catching all e-mail sent to a particular domain name.
There are pro's:
Anything at your domain name is caught, so if somebody spells a name incorrectly or doesn't know who to actually contact individually then the mail will still be delivered.
If your a business this can be handy, John Smith maybe [email protected] but if somebody puts [email protected] it will still be delivered.

The system also has con's:
Anything at your domain is a valid e-mail address.
So a Spam list might e-mail [email protected], [email protected] and so on and all of those messages will be received by your system.

What you do with mail received via catchall is down to personal preference.
At the company we work for we simply don't use a catchall address.
The amount of Spam generated from just a list of known addresses is quite enough for us to deal with without letting anything at our domain name through.
Usually anything caught in the catchall system will be forwarded to a different e-mail address for sorting.
So setup catchall to send anything that doesn't have a destination to a specific mailbox to an address [email protected]
Then, when you have a spare half an hour in a day somebody could go through that mailbox, delete the Spam and forward on any mail that was sent to a mis-spelt address.

Associate
Some hosts are now not allowing catch all email accounts because of the spam problems.

Not only are you opening yourself up to [email protected] emails, but the latest form of spamming seems to be backwards spamming...

The spamming sends spam to a random address using your [email protected] as the senders address. The email then gets bounced back to you. This form of spam seriously effected the company I work for, some of the domains were getting upwards of 20,000 spam emails in a day, needless to say, catch all accounts were disabled.

Back
Top Bottom