Just visited a Detention Centre

Man of Honour
Well that was an interesting 2 hours.
I've just had a 2 hour tour around a Young Offenders Detention Centre with the hope of doing some voluntary work up there.
It was quite an eye opener seeing what the 'trainees' get up to and where our tax money is spent.
I was shown the computer room, loads of PC's but most of them broke and nobody to show them how to work one.
Can't say too much but it was quite an experience.

Soldato
So did you come out thinking that it was a soft touch, with kids getting free playstations, gym, McDonalds etc? or have you seen the reality that the tabloids fail to print that in actual fact prison *isn't* a nice place to be?

Don
ElRazur said:
I was asking a honest question. Anyway, i would suggest the whole prision and detention system be revamped and brought to a higher standards.

depends what you mean by "higher standard"

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I done my DC over 20 years ago & i would have loved to have had a few of you in my Dorm just to show you how "easy" it was :p
If you could have avoided the screws & dealt with the marching & Orders & BS routine you would have still had to sleep at nights with the likes of me just a few feet away from you.
Midnight raids on ******* included sliding under the beds till below your victim then tying him down whilst others beat the living crap out of them.
I have never been more Violent than when i was banged up & DC trained me for it all.
Treated like an Animal i acted like an animal, in fact being the worst Animal was the major game of the cons/trainees.
When you have nothing at all then giving or receiving pain is all there is to gamble/play with.

Soldato
Biohazard said:
What to make it more confortable for them?

Are you suggesting we live everything not working/broken/dilapidated/depressing etc? Remember that are coming back out to live amongst us.
How do you meet their basic requirment in a prison without letting "comfort" through. I would love to hear that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Maybe the computers don't work because one of them is secretly selling the components on ebay in order to buy an Xbox360 and a HDTV.

Man of Honour
OP
jamiemoles said:
So did you come out thinking that it was a soft touch, with kids getting free playstations, gym, McDonalds etc? or have you seen the reality that the tabloids fail to print that in actual fact prison *isn't* a nice place to be?

Its certainly changed since malc30's days.
Bullying does go on but everything little thing is documented and before the shift you see a list of bully's and self harmers etc.
I was shown a 'trainees room' and it is very basic. They can quickly earn a TV but it can easily be taken away. I didn't ask if they could earn SKY TV or or an XBOX.
I saw a room with some very old arcade machines in but was told they don't get used because all they want is XBOX or Playstation games.
They've got a fantastic gym and it just so happened to be run by an old mate of mine. There was a couple of 16 year olds in there that would have made some of the OCUK bodybuilders frown. Others were playing 5 a side in a large gym.

Soldato
Linoge said:
Maybe the computers don't work because one of them is secretly selling the components on ebay in order to buy an Xbox360 and a HDTV.

That is a joke right? Im sure they have limited access to the net, so how they gonna set up an ebay account, post the item etc? Unless you are now accusing the guards....which frankly, i think it is a joke.

Man of Honour
OP
ElRazur said:
That is a joke right? Im sure they have limited access to the net,

They have zero access to the net. I went into every classroom and only saw one 'trainee' using his teachers laptop.
I was also gobsmacked to find out that it is a totally no smoking zone.
Absolutely no one is allowed to smoke inside or outside which is one way to rub a nicotine addict up the wrong way.

Soldato
ElRazur said:
That is a joke right? Im sure they have limited access to the net, so how they gonna set up an ebay account, post the item etc? Unless you are now accusing the guards....which frankly, i think it is a joke.

Of course it was a joke. :p

Soldato
dmpoole said:
They have zero access to the net. I went into every classroom and only saw one 'trainee' using his teachers laptop.
I was also gobsmacked to find out that it is a totally no smoking zone.
Absolutely no one is allowed to smoke inside or outside which is one way to rub a nicotine addict up the wrong way.

So all in all, prisons are not what the media and press is making it out to be?

Back
Top Bottom