• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8800GTX Upgrade?

Associate
Hi, im building my new C2D spec very soon (e6750, 2gb ram)
I game at 1280*1024 max. Originally i had a gts on my list, but im wondering whether its worth going the full hog and get a gtx.
At this resolution does it make sense, or should i stick to a GTS 320/640mb
Ta.

Associate
personallly id stick with the gts 320 for that res..

gtx is overkill for 1280x1024, unless you are made of money/have a money tree/crap bricks of pure gold. i game at max resolution and max settings.

Caporegime
Depends how long your wanting to keep the card for, if its a good while then the GTX is not a waste of money, as it will last a helluva lot longer at 1280x1024 than the 320mb GTS , you'll be able to have max everything on it, AA/AF the lot for a long, long time, and won't have to upgrade for donks, where as the 320mb GTS may need upgrading when Crysis gets here as the memory might not be able to handle the higher textures etc... if your wanting to play it in Dx10.

Last edited:
Soldato
Test drive unlimited will not run maxed out settings with a 320MB GTS at that resolution believe. Games will most likely catch you up fast and you wont be playing at maxed out settings for long i don't think. If a driving game can already beat your pc. Then all the new DX10 games to come must be able to do similar things.

Permabanned
LoadsaMoney said:
Odd i just picked up TDU the other day, runs maxed out fine at 1280x1024, 16xAA/16xAF as well.

Just tried that on my GTX for comparsion and it was unplayable, that game seriously needs a patch. :p

Caporegime
I wouldn't know about that as i only picked it up a few days ago, but its confirmed for Monday so we'll see i guess. :p

Well ive just tried it with fraps running, minimum is 30fps with 16xAA/16xAF, does need a patch though as its not smooth, seems to like jerk now and again, even though ive got that unofficial patch on. :D

Permabanned
LoadsaMoney said:
I wouldn't know about that as i only picked it up a few days ago, but its confirmed for Monday so we'll see i guess. :p

Well ive just tried it with fraps running, minimum is 30fps with 16xAA/16xAF, does need a patch though as its not smooth, seems to like jerk now and again, even though ive got that unofficial patch on. :D

Where did you get the patch?

Caporegime
Filefront, but its been removed now i think, didn't make any difference like, still stuttered in places, and it supposedly buggers up your online account or summit, but i aint made one yet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom