Virgin Media - Optic Cable - 20MB - Any Good?

Soldato
20Mbit user here as well. Paying 19.50 a month. Top connection, cannot complain about it. Hell even with the traffic shaping (just queue up big downloads for after 9pm), its no big loss. Better than being under the watchful eye of ADSL ISPs who will slap you if you overabuse their FUP imho.

Cant wait to try out the 50mbit connection when it comes out :D

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
£19.50 for 20MB I'm paying £29/month for 20MB atm and after the recent 5day outage (PO12 node on Cosham Exch failed) I feel the need for them to compensate me by reducing the monthly cost!

Man of Honour
virgin10.jpg

Soldato
I'm getting seriously left behind in the broadband "have not" camp.

I can't get faster than 1.5Mbit/s on ADSL and our newish estate was never cabled by NTL/Virgin. Therefore I can't get BE (they say my line can't handle it) nor can I get "fibre optic" services until BT upgrade the local infrastructure on the estate to support it. I can't see that happening for a good few years.

So my only hope of a really fast connection is WiMax. Again that won't be here for a good few years yet.

Ironically my distance to the exchange as the crow flies is only 2Km. This is Coventry we are talking about and not somewhere out in the sticks. I honestly feel like a broadband leper.........

Permabanned

I can't get faster than 1.5Mbit/s on ADSL and our newish estate was never cabled by NTL/Virgin. Therefore I can't get BE (they say my line can't handle it) nor can I get "fibre optic" services until BT upgrade the local infrastructure on the estate to support it. I can't see that happening for a good few years.

So my only hope of a really fast connection is WiMax. Again that won't be here for a good few years yet.

Ironically my distance to the exchange as the crow flies is only 2Km. This is Coventry we are talking about and not somewhere out in the sticks. I honestly feel like a broadband leper.........

Have you tried this?

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php?type=html

Soldato
No complaints here, get around 17Mbps at off-peak times and, whilst it can drop down as low as 6-7Mbps at very high peak times, that's still about the max you'd ever expect from "up to 8Mb" ADSL, which puts it in perspective.

They also have one of the most reasonable usage "capping" systems out there, merely limiting your usage during a five hour peak period in the evenings. At other times you can download as much as you like so it's just dissuading people from downloading loads of stuff during the evenings which is fine with me, just queue it up overnight or during the day whilst you're at work.

Soldato
The service entirely depends on what area your in by reading other peoples posts. If your in a good area then you wont find a better net connection, if your in a poor area then you probably wont find a worse connection.

Luckily im in a good area, had about 5 hours downtime in 7 years, gaming pings are always sub 15 to the right servers and download speeds always maxed out if your downloading from the right places at anytime of the day. (Average 2.32mb/sec from my usual place)

Associate
my area is pretty good for 20mb I can easily download at 1.6-2.2MB/s depending on the server Im downloading off ofcourse and for me Vista actually handles these faster speeds a lot better than XP.

Soldato

I can't get faster than 1.5Mbit/s on ADSL and our newish estate was never cabled by NTL/Virgin..............

I'm in a similar position. I live in a new estate which was not cabled by NTL/Virgin, yet it is surrounded by houses which are cabled! Infact, within 20 metres of my house are houses that can receive cable grrr

Luckily I'm with BE*, but only get 5Mbs, which is better than the 3Mbs I was getting with plusnet

Soldato

Thanks

I have one master socket and I changed its faceplate for a fully filtered one. There is NO extension wiring anywhere in the house. In that master socket sit my cordless phone and my router adsl connection. Its as simple and uncluttered as it can possibly be. I have a **** line and there is naff all I can do about it.

:(

Soldato
When you said cabled your estate i didn't think u ment that they didn't put a hub in. As then you should ahve said they didn't put a cable hub in your estate... well i think so anyway :)

Why dont you make a fake partition and get like 200 fake signatures to get cable in your area. Then virgin will think ooo 200 customers :)

Back
Top Bottom