Advice about car tyres

Associate
Need a bit of advice about car tyres.

About time to replace the two front tyres of my gf car (as they are pretty much worn out). Currently all the four tyres are the sizes 215/55/R16. I was told by a friend that I could save some money by buying 205/55/R16 as they shouldn't make any significant difference. My concern is do I need to replace all four tyres all at once? My plan is to change just the front tyres to 205/55/R16, keeping the existing rear tyres of 215/55/R16.

Would this affect the MOT test next year? and does this posses any problems on safety?

Thanks

You would probably be better keeping them all the same size, as I cant imagine there being much of a price difference between the 2 sizes. I doubt that your MOT would be to concerned about it either. 16" wheels are usually 7" - 7.5" wide, so fitting 195 - 215 is possible.

iirc, you CAN change just one tyre if you want. However, I would recommend you change both front/rear at the same time, but if all your tyres are diff sizes (left/right) you will fail the MOT

If you're going for different sizes, you have to change in axle pairs - ie. both front or both rear if you aren't doing all of them. Changing the front to smaller diameter will give your nose a slight downward drop. And depending on where your speedo reading is taken, alter that by a couple of percent.

thanks for all the advice guys. I think i'll go ahead with getting a 205/55/R16 for the two front pair. I'll then get 205/55/R16 for the rear tyres when it's time to replace them.

:)

Whats the car? I was under the impression it's only advisable to have wider tyres on the driven wheels and not the other way around although I could be wrong.

it's a vectra. I'm just thinking of changing the front tyres now and change the rear when they worn out.

Hmmm I had the impression it's alright to have wider tyres for the rear but not the front.

Yes it's an old thread, but when searching this was the most relavent....

Need recommendation for new tyres for a 01 Vectra SRI front tyre size 205/55/16 91v

Currently got budgets on there well due for replacement, my experience extends to Goodyear hydragrips - 'quite good', Dunlop SP01s 'not quite so good'

Looking for a *decent tyre in the rain/wet*, inspiring confidence when cornering around A roads.

Mytyres quotes a few ranging from michelins, yokohamas, bridgestones etc. budget was around 50-60 but I think it'll need to be closer o 100-120 a tyre..

What about Uniroyal rainsports? good rating here http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Grid/ pointed out by someone here: http://forums.astra-sri.co.uk/showthread.php?p=684748

edit just noticed on that the is a another secion for vectra, (but not SRI) i should be noted that my sus is very firm, and there's not much roll. I suppose that means I don't require tyres reputed to have stiff sidewalls? On bumpy surfaces, the vectra is a 'mare something cushioning would be ideal :)

Last edited:
[TW]Fox;8103094 said:
Whats the car? I was under the impression it's only advisable to have wider tyres on the driven wheels and not the other way around although I could be wrong.

I was thinking of putting wider on mine, on front however guy I spoke to was saying something along the lines of:

"If you have new tyres on the front, and wider = more grip, rear end less grip = more chance of oversteer. More grip on back = more chance of understeer = safer."

This make any sense in real life? At this rate I'll need all 4 soon so probably won't matter to I!

did a wee google on the vredestein and they seem to get a bit of a mixed bag, mostly very positive, however this link popped out. http://briskoda.net/fabia-i/vredestein-sportrac-3-tyres/82491/ . probably gonna go for some rainsports unless someone can offer any more input ?

I'd go for some rainsports, I couldn't find any bad reviews and just got 2 fitted earlier in the week for £87 each 205/50/R16. Too early to tell how they'll be but no problems so far :)

I was thinking of putting wider on mine, on front however guy I spoke to was saying something along the lines of:

"If you have new tyres on the front, and wider = more grip, rear end less grip = more chance of oversteer. More grip on back = more chance of understeer = safer."

This make any sense in real life? At this rate I'll need all 4 soon so probably won't matter to I!

Tbh I don't think that matters in normal circumstances. If the point comes where your tyres don't have enough grip, either way you are in trouble.

Personally I'd rather have a bit of oversteer, as understeer can be a pant filling moment.

In a FWD car your front wheels steer, provide power, and provide 90% of the braking force. My tyres are currently down past the bars, and they are seriously hampering all three of these points.

Tbh, I don't have much experience of RWD cars, particulary powerful ones, so can't really make a point on that.

I shall probably fit these new to the front, and when the rear gets worn, swap them over and put new on the front. I usually go though tyres at least 2:1 front:rear.

Last edited:
I'd go for some rainsports, I couldn't find any bad reviews and just got 2 fitted earlier in the week for £87 each 205/50/R16. Too early to tell how they'll be but no problems so far :)

Hey did you get rainsport 1 or rainsport 2? I guess most things I've read on the net are about the rainsport 1's, but I can find any evidence to suggest that rainsport 2 s are better or worse. And not one single bad comment on them anywhere on the net. Best price I can find so far is 66IncVat for the tyre alone.

Well im on my 3rd set, and have driven in all conditions bar snow, and have not once ever had the car slide, or lose grip, and i dont hang around.
in terrible rain, they just gripped, no problems from me.

Hey did you get rainsport 1 or rainsport 2? I guess most things I've read on the net are about the rainsport 1's, but I can find any evidence to suggest that rainsport 2 s are better or worse. And not one single bad comment on them anywhere on the net. Best price I can find so far is 66IncVat for the tyre alone.

They're Rainsport 2 but I presume they'll be just as good if not better. I think I read they last a bit longer so win win ;)

Back
Top Bottom