I finally gave in to i7

Soldato
Fanboy me wash your mouth out :p
I've used DFI and Asus, but fancied another Gigabyte :D

Hmm...it's a little over £200 quid. Decent price.

What's the extreme got that's worth like £30 quid more?

Oh, and that Foxconn Bloodrage, I maybe mistaken, but wasn't that going for around £160 a couple of months back?

Associate
OP
A few more pics as promised

i7-4.jpg

i7-5.jpg

i7-6.jpg

I didn't get as much done last night as I wanted, the OS I first installed didn't want to work, had to re-install that, so spend most of the time doing that, installing updates, drivers etc.

I did manage to get temps for the CPU at stock, at both idle and under 100% load, just using 5 minutes of Prime.

Idle-stock.jpg

Load5min-stock.jpg

I was pretty pleased with the temps, so I'll get on with the overclocking tonight, finally see how far I can get the 920. I also should get the last little bits n pieces today aswell, so get the cables sorted.

Associate
OP
I probably could use the 6 DIMMS, it would be pretty tight. I would have to remove the fan from the cooler first though. At the moment I'm not too bothered as 6gb will be more than enough for me :p I would say that the heatsink on the ram is quite tall, so ram with slightly smaller heatsinks would fit a lot better.

Associate
OP
Why did you choose the Giga over Asus?

Also you need to get some Xigmatek fans for your case *drools*.

It was mainly to do with the extra cooling and gigabyte offer a few more overclocking options over Asus. I was very tempted by the P6T Deluxe, it got great reviews and is slightly more user friendly than the gigabyte, so it was a tough decision.

Definitely interested in some Xigmatek fans, would look awesome in the fortress, It might have to happen in the next few weeks ;). I'll keep you posted though mate.

Soldato
Enjoy it man. I7 is a no brainer now buying anything less is a waste of money.

You may need this thread as it contains the latest beta bios and is Gigabyte's official support forum:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/gigabyte-latest-bios-28441/

They are up to the 8 series bios now. Your stock bios is probably much lower. Apart from improved overclocking and stability the newer bioses contain the latest Intel ACHI version. Best way to flash these bios are through the built-in qflash utility found @ the bios post stage. Otherwise you need a boot disc as the windows supplied utility is not recommended as its been known to corrupt some systems!!

Associate
OP
That's great AWPC, thanks for that mate :)

I did notice the gigabyte built-in qflash utility, should make flashing the new bios a lot easier.

Soldato
I ended up joinning the i7 club last week, upgrading from my Q6600 and I glad I did. Even though I dont see much of an increase in performance I knew if I didnt do it now I wont in a few months time.
Was also feeling the love for the Gigabyte motherboards(GA-EX58-UD4P) compared to the Asus as my other 2 computers have Gigabyte motherboards and so far no problems.
All I need to do is find a good CPU cooler so I can start overclocking as I never did with my Q6600 and maybe buy an extra 6gig of ram giving a total of 12gig but maybe that would be extreme greed:D

Soldato
Thanks for the temp pics looks a very good cooling case, did that window side panel come with the case or is it modded by you? building myself an i7 spec pc next month or so, probably end up getting it.:D

Associate
OP
Thanks for the temp pics looks a very good cooling case, did that window side panel come with the case or is it modded by you? building myself an i7 spec pc next month or so, probably end up getting it.:D

I was really impressed with the temps I was getting. The thermalright cooler is awesome and can't wait to see what it can do with an overclocked i7 :D

I'll start overclocking later in the week, I want to try it out with some games and benchmarks before I start it.

I would highly recommend the case, it looks good, decent cable management, cooling is excellent, though will be changing the fans for Xigmatek ones later down the line, which should finish the case off nicely :)

The window came with the case, so no modding required ;)

Soldato
Excellent will use it in my new one for sure then!

Yeah your temps are extremely good....i7's can get hot, even in good cases i've seen them hit 55-60c in games.

Bah got to wait a month or so for mine ah well.:p

Back
Top Bottom