i7 Boards that will take 3 (and 6) RAM sticks with decent cooler.

Soldato
Been trying to spec a system for someone at work. They want 6GB to start with then 12GB later when they've got some spare cash.

I see many of the boards struggle to take RAM when a big HS is installed.

Is there a heatsink (none water) that gets around this on a clocked i7 or a decent board?

Soldato
It would probably be best if you listed the Heatsinks/Motherboards that you were interested in then members could advise you accordingly.

Sometimes it's just a case of moving the fan up the HS a fraction to allow for the memory. Also, avoid tall memory with large HS - especially ones with heat pipes - lower profile memory has a better chance of a work around.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think most X58 mobos will take 6 sticks of RAM with big air coolers so long as you aren't using modules with large heatsinks like Dominators.

Infact, I just looked at my mobo now, and I recon if I were to slightly offset my fan so that it was sitting slightly up the heatsink it would be able to take 6 sticks of Dominators or other DIMM's with large heatsinks no problem..

See this pic to get a better idea of what I am trying to say!!

thermalrightultra120exth.jpg

Excuse the poor MS Paint skills, but you will get the idea!!!

But if you were using RAM like the Corsair XMS3 series, with normal type heatspreaders, then they would sit under a TRUE without having to install the fan like in my awesome pic above.

Associate
If that's the copper TRUE I bet he doesn't - copper extremely heavy plus not exactly fantastic for transfer of Heat to air (it tends to retain heat)

Soldato
If that's the copper TRUE I bet he doesn't - copper extremely heavy plus not exactly fantastic for transfer of Heat to air (it tends to retain heat)

It is the TRUE copper - and yes, obvioulsy, it is very heavy but still very effective when it’s compared to the other TRUEs - some reviews give it the edge. (It's still not worth the extra money when compared to it's cheaper and lighter siblings.)

My comment aimed at Dave were to do with the aesthetics rather than its performance.

How’s the case coming along DavyBoy?

Last edited:
Soldato
Here is my friend's Copper True in Action!

Nice setup - your friend clearly hasn't got kids.

I used to run a setup similar to that a few years back - but no where near as stylish as mine was a homemade botch (a combination of a cut down motherboard tray and solid wood.)

Are those Sharkoon Silent Eagles? If they are, are they the 1000 or 2000?

I'm guessing he must have a substantial clock even with the 12gig?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom