** The Official WWDC 2011 Thread **

Permabanned
Notifications look great, basically the same as Android which is a tenfold improvement over the current system

Not much else interested me about iOS 5 though, aside from notifications there's not anything really stand out.

Now I need to go and read up on Lion, the main thing for me since there was no MBA. :)

Permabanned
Safari Reader and Tabbed browsing on the ipad look pretty major.

Tabbed browsing has been available in other browsers for ages though, the reader looked ok but I don't think it will replace a standalone reader app.

Safari has been due an update for a long time though, Atomic is a much better browser. It's just a shame they don't let you change the default browser in iOS, it's annoying how links in texts/emails default to Safari.

Permabanned
Just spent a while reading up on all this.

Quite excited! £20.99 for a new OP is just :D

£20.99! :eek:

So if I buy this, I'll be able to use it on as many machines as I like right?

Since I plan to get a new Air later this year, it'll have Lion on it already so I guess it doesn't really matter!

Associate
Haven't watched the keynote in full yet. Looks good so far.

I'm slightly concerned about MobileMe though. What will happen to any hosting? I have a site hosted using a personal domain name.

Soldato
£20.99! :eek:

So if I buy this, I'll be able to use it on as many machines as I like right?

Since I plan to get a new Air later this year, it'll have Lion on it already so I guess it doesn't really matter!

Up to 5 i think.

-edit-
It appears this music syncing is only available to US customers due to a license issue.

Last edited:
Soldato
Quick question and a long thread to trawl through but I am looking to get a macbook pro in the next few weeks, am I going to have to wait till lion comes out or will I get a free upgrade if it's released within so many weeks of me buying my mac?

Soldato
Hmmm I'm confused about this is it worldwide or only for the US?

The BBC doesn't make it clear. There are also posts stating that it will cost while the Beeb clearly says iCloud will be free.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13677539

The centrepiece of iCloud offers users the ability to synch, store and listen to their iTunes music library from any device that connects to the web.
The free service will also allow consumers to use the web to access eight other key applications including photos, documents, books, contacts, calendar and email.

Soldato
this is an email i got this morning

Dear MobileMe member,

We'd like to share some exciting news with you about iCloud — Apple’s upcoming cloud service, which stores your content and wirelessly pushes it to your devices. iCloud integrates seamlessly with your apps, so everything happens automatically. Available this fall, iCloud is free for iOS 5 and OS X Lion users.

What does this mean for you as a MobileMe member?

When you sign up for iCloud, you'll be able to keep your MobileMe email address and move your mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks to the new service.

Your MobileMe subscription will be automatically extended through June 30, 2012, at no additional charge. After that date, MobileMe will no longer be available.

When iCloud becomes available this fall, we will provide more details and instructions on how to make the move. In the meantime, we encourage you to learn more about iCloud.

Sincerely,

The MobileMe Team

Soldato
Having had a look around the net this morning it would seem that the future of iDisk is uncertain :(

Is there an app on the iPhone and iPad that allows you to use dropbox i.e. can I sync various file types on my MBP, iPhone, and iPad and view them in an app ?

Associate
Finished watching the keynote this-morning. Really excited about the ios update looks great!
One question that was probably covered by i didnt catch. Delta updates, will all ios app store apps used them now? Or is it just for the Mac app store?
Would be so handy for them big apps!

Ta dudes

Soldato
OP
** WWDC 2011 - Day One Summary **

Main WWDC Conference Announcements
  • Mac OS X Lion - Mac Operating system
  • iOS 5 - iPhone/iPad/iPod Operating System
  • iCloud - Apples New Cloud Service

Mac OS X Lion - More Info...

A major new Mac OS release with over 250 new user features. 10 Key Features were outlined during the conference...

• Multi-touch Gestures - disappearing scroll bars, fluid momentum based scrolling, swiping, and taps.
  • Full Screen Apps - New full-screen button allows for apps to take advantage of every pixel on the screen. You can have more than one full-screen apps running at same time. You can three-finger swipe to the right to go back to your desktop without closing the full-screen app.
  • Mission Control - Expose and Spaces combined. A simple three-finger swipe upwards takes you into Mission Control which is a bird-eye view of everything going on in your system. Multiple desktops and multiple full-screen apps, all easy to see and get to.
  • Mac App Store - Built-in to Lion. In-app purchases, push notifications, sandboxing for better security, and delta updates.
  • Launchpad - A pinch motion makes all your applications fly onto your screen. The screen looks and acts very similar to the iPhone and iPad icons grid interface.
  • Resume - Brings you right back to where you were when you quit the application. It works system wide, not just in apps.
  • Auto Save - Lion will automatically saves everything for you in the background. Adds a new History dropdown to your menu bar including Lock, Duplicate, Revert to Last Opened, and Browse All Versions.
  • Versions - can take manual snapshots, only changes are stored, not entire document in each version. Looks a lot like Time Machine, but works per document rather than your whole system. You can even cut and paste between the versions.
  • Airdrop - easy way to share files across devices. Peer-to-peer WiFi-based network. Your system automatically detects who else around you is also running AirDrop. Auto-discovery, auto-setup. Confirmations on both sides to be safe, plus data is encrypted.
  • Mail - Interface revamped with full height message, favorites bar, and message snippets. New search suggestions, boolean searches, and conversation views.

Lion also includes over 3000 new developer APIs. It will be available in the Mac App Store, requires around 4GB of space, priced at £20.99, and available in July. Developer Seed was released on the 6th June.

iOS 5 - More Info...

A major new release for iOS to include over 200 new user features, the conference highlighted 10 Key Features...

• Notification Center - A completely revamped notification system. Pulls together all notifications into one place that is accessible by down-swiping from the top of the screen, similar to how it’s done in Android. Notifications can also be individually dismissed or dismissed altogether.
  • Newsstand - It's iBooks for Magazines and Newspapers. Content is downloaded in the background and makes use of the subscriptions feature.
  • Twitter - Now deeply integrated into iOS. Twitter becomes a native app and gets its own pane in the settings menu. It's also integrated into native apps such as Camera and Photos, so that you can tweet directly from those apps.
  • Safari - New Safari Reader button which reformats pages to make it easier to read on an iPhone or iPad. New tabbing display to easily switch between pages.
  • Reading List - Allows you to pull various articles together to look at later, much like what third-party service “Read It Later.” It syncs across all iOS devices so that if you didn’t finish reading something on your iPad, you can finish it on your iPhone.
  • Reminders - A new native to-do app that can create virtual post-its and assign reminders and locations to different notes. Location-aware.
  • Camera - Can now be accessed faster directly from the lock screen. The volume button can now be used to take the photo. You can now pinch-to-zoom and you can hold your finger on part of an image to set autofocus and exposure lock. You can also edit your photos natively, such as red-eye reduction, quick-enhance, and cropping tools.
  • Mail - Now gets rich-text formatting, indentation support, draggable addresses, and flagging to mark mail items unread. Search now works across the entire message, not just the subject.
  • PC Free - Software Updates available OTA (Over the Air), and these updates are now "Delta Updates", so they are smaller and only update necessary components. No longer needs to be synced with a computer at all.
  • Game Center - Support for turn-by-turn games. More social experience. Friends, recommendations and comparisons.
  • iMessages - iPhones take of the Blackberry Pin. Allows you to communicate with all iOS users.

There are more than 1500 new developer APIs to play with, and it's scheduled for released "this fall". It will support iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4, both version of the iPad, and the 3rd and 4th gen of iPod touch.

iCloud - More Info...

A new cloud solution and service from Apple. It automatically stores your content in the cloud and wirelessly pushes it to all your devices. It’s integrated with all your apps, and works across all devices.

• MobileMe - Ceases to exist from now on. Syncing contacts, calendars, and emails are now to be offered through iCloud for free.
  • App Store - Purchase history can be seen on all devices now even if it isn’t installed on the device. A cloud button is added that lets you download the app to that device at no extra charge.
  • iBooks - Works very similar to the App Store changes above.
  • Backup - Wireless backup to the cloud. Once daily, your content is automatically backed up to the cloud. If you ever switch to a new phone, just enter your username and password and your data is automatically synced to that new device from the cloud. Purchased music, apps, books, camera roll for both photos and videos, device settings, and app data are all automatically backed up to the cloud.
  • Documents In The Cloud - Sync documents via the cloud automatically for Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.
  • Photo Stream - Brings your photos to the cloud. Syncs all your photos to all your devices.
  • iTunes - Now you can sync your songs across all your devices. Purchase history is added and allows you to re-download previously purchased songs. There is also the addition of the cloud button that lets you download an already purchased song to a device if its not already on that device.
  • iTunes Match - A new service scans your music library and finds a match in Apple’s music library (Over 18 million songs). This way you do not have to upload all your songs to the iCloud, which can take a lot of time. It scans and matches music that wasn’t purchased from iTunes and streams those songs at 256kbps AAC DRM-free audio quality. This feature, however, costs $24.99 a year (UK Pricing currently unannounced), and it is currently unannounced whether or not this service will be available worldwide.

Some features of iCloud are available now in beta, however the full launch will occur alongside the launch of iOS 5 "this fall".

Watch the Keynote!

The conference is now available to stream here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom