Ram needed for BF3

Caporegime
Well ill be damned.

I just got a message about running low on memory while playing bf3. What the hell. Only had open battlelog, origin, afterburner, real temp, g35, bf3 and a few other small apps.

This was during the next level load, i was using the origin in game browser. Maybe it has a memory leak or something.

EDIT< this was with my pagefile disabled.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well ill be damned.

I just got a message about running low on memory while playing bf3. What the hell. Only had open battlelog, origin, afterburner, real temp, g35, bf3 and a few other small apps.

This was during the next level load, i was using the origin in game browser. Maybe it has a memory leak or something.
Gotta be a memory leak. What browser?

Caporegime
Just had it again. However i think its actually my system is running out of vram rather than system memory.

I noticed my vram usage was over 2000 just before it happened.

To get this high usage i have to do the following.

Start up bf3, quick match, multiplayer.

As the round is loading using the origin in game browser, browse to overclockers forums, sign in, go back to the game but leave the web browser window open. Start playing, notice my very high vram usage when its normally around 1200-1400, game crashes and low on memory comes up shortly after.

So it appears the in game browser of origin is eating all my video memory unless i shut it down. Memory leak? This does not happen when i use the steam in game browser.

EDIT< ive drifted slightly off topic.

Soldato
I took the plunge and put another 2x2GB XMS3 sticks with my current 2x2GB pair - Right after I got Windows telling me I was running low on System Memory :D

Was not VRAM as it;s not returned since putting 8GB in over 4GB.

4GB works fine for BF3, but I cannot be bothered closing loads down just to play. At the price of RAM now, might as well go for 8GB.

Soldato
Just had it again. However i think its actually my system is running out of vram rather than system memory.

I noticed my vram usage was over 2000 just before it happened.

To get this high usage i have to do the following.

Start up bf3, quick match, multiplayer.

As the round is loading using the origin in game browser, browse to overclockers forums, sign in, go back to the game but leave the web browser window open. Start playing, notice my very high vram usage when its normally around 1200-1400, game crashes and low on memory comes up shortly after.

So it appears the in game browser of origin is eating all my video memory unless i shut it down. Memory leak? This does not happen when i use the steam in game browser.

EDIT< ive drifted slightly off topic.

Stop alt tabing around and doing other things whilst playing BF3, that's the cause. Just because you can do these things doesn't mean you should.

I went from 4GB to 8GB and there's no more stuttering. VRAM sits at 1700MB max where as before it was 1960MB. Looks like my 5850s are using the extra ram as VRAM and its not affected fps at all, inface I can now play with some settings on Ultra :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I wasn't alt tabbing i were merely using the origin in game web browser whilst the new map for bf3 was loading. However im pretty sure the in game web browser has a memory leak if you leave it open during gaming.

Now you mention it though since adding the extra 4gb alt tabbing is ultra responsive even when playing bf3.

Caporegime
Well I got my RAM today! The corsair xms3 2x4GB for about £42

When gaming with BF 3, origin, FF (386MB), my entire RAM usage is hitting 5GB now!

The game does seem a bit smoother for me especially when alt tabbing out, quitting etc. pretty much everything to do with the game.

And in general my entire system just feels a bit more snappier now.

Only thing that needs sorting out now is my GPU.

EDIT:

Also the corsair looks much better in person than all the photos of it!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom