• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** AMD R290X NOW AVAILABLE & OVERCLOCKING REVIEW!! **

Associate
Very impressed with the card and the pricing. :)

Just got a Matrix Platinum which I am happy with for 1080p gaming but will be looking for one of these in the near future.

Hoping the Asus brings a dcu2 with a backplate. These have been my favorite card designs for the last few years.

Good job Gibbo and team. ;)

Soldato
Sound's a promising card, especially at that price.

BF4 edition pricing is a **** take. "Lets charge them the rrp value of the game on top of regular pricing, stick a bf4 logo on the box and tell them it's a special edition" - not a dig at anyone other then amd btw. I expect my bundled games to be free not charged at a premium equivalent to the value of the game.

If these clock speeds scale well with voltage things could get very interesting at the top.

OcUK Staff
OP
How?

Don't tell me you guys just forget to check the 'unlock voltage control' box in AB in all the excitement? :p

Nope

Its down to the BIOS on the card and having the right software version.

Asus works with GPU tweak.
MSI will no doubt work with Afterburner.
Sapphire with Trixx.

But they can do voltage, just software updates needed to go official. :)

I am upto 1225Mhz core stable and 6600MHz ram.

This card is an absolute beast!!!

On water, I can see 1300MHz core speeds and 8Pack and his LN2 will be taking new records for sure!!

P.S. Retail cards seem better than AMD Press cards! :)

Soldato
What's up with the ETA, saying various dates in November? I thought they were in the warehouse?

According to overclock3d.net, Video review in link below, The card feels rushed, Looks cheap, Runs stupidly hot and is on par with the 780.

Well that's just rubbish. It smashes a 780.

Caporegime
The 780 might be close-equal-faster at peasant res, 1080p but thats always been the case for Nvidia cards. When the going gets tough,(1440p up to 4k) the tough get 290X, so to speak. :p It was the same with the 7950/70-670-680. ;)

Wrapping things up, it’s looking like neither NVIDIA nor AMD are going to let today’s launch set a new status quo. NVIDIA for their part has already announced a GTX 780 Ti for next month, and while we can only speculate on performance we certainly don’t expect NVIDIA to let the 290X go unchallenged. The bigger question is whether they’re willing to compete with AMD on price.

GTX Titan and its prosumer status aside, even with NVIDIA’s upcoming game bundle it’s very hard right now to justify GTX 780 over the cheaper 290X, except on acoustic grounds. For some buyers that will be enough, but for 9% more performance and $100 less there are certainly buyers who are going to shift their gaze over to the 290X. For those buyers NVIDIA can’t afford to be both slower and more expensive than 290X. Unless NVIDIA does something totally off the wall like discontinuing GTX 780 entirely, then they have to bring prices down in response to the launch of 290X. 290X is simply too disruptive to GTX 780, and even GTX 770 is going to feel the pinch between that and 280X. Bundles will help, but what NVIDIA really needs to compete with the Radeon 200 series is a simple price cut.

Meanwhile AMD for their part would appear to have one more piece to play. Today we’ve seen the Big Kahuna, but retailers are already listing the R9 290, which based on AMD’s new naming scheme would be AMD’s lower tier Hawaii card. How that will pan out remains to be seen, but as a product clearly intended to fill in the $250 gap between 290X and 280X while also making Hawaii a bit more affordable, we certainly have high expectations for its performance. And if nothing else we’d certainly expect it to further ratchet up the pressure on NVIDIA.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7457/the-radeon-r9-290x-review/20

Soldato
No, It doesn't.

I was going to get the R290X for my dad for his gaming rig but after watching the video review I completely changed my mind.

Before the 90 second mark, he's spoken about the aesthetics and "bum raping performance". The guy is a bit of an idiot to be honest.

Each time I watch one of his reviews, all he cares about is what the component looks like.

Soldato
Before the 90 second mark, he's spoken about the aesthetics and "bum raping performance". The guy is a bit of an idiot to be honest.

Each time I watch one of his reviews, all he cares about is what the component looks like.

I did notice that to be honest, I'm going to wait and see what the overclock version are going to be like i.e MSI etc...
I'm guessing my dad can wait an extra month, Although he's getting an itchy trigger finger for some gaming :p

Soldato
Which is the thing I care least about, since it goes in a case with no window.

My PC is for gaming and media, not looking 'pretty'.

I could not possibly agree more with you. I think this new "themed computer" stuff is just a way to make more money out of us.

I want to look at good graphics on my screen, not the interior of my computer.

Caporegime
Which is the thing I care least about, since it goes in a case with no window.

My PC is for gaming and media, not looking 'pretty'.

I could not possibly agree more with you. I think this new "themed computer" stuff is just a way to make more money out of us.

I want to look at good graphics on my screen, not the interior of my computer.

I'm with you on that one. Looks are nice, but its way down the pecking order behind performance and price for me.

Back
Top Bottom