• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Geforce 'Maxwell' Thread

Soldato
Am I ever going to be able to trade my 2 x crossfire 7970s for a worth while single card upgrade? :( On the bright side these cards have proved to be awesome value for money, can't remember the last time I had GPUs last this long and still run pretty much everything thrown at them.

Soldato
Am I ever going to be able to trade my 2 x crossfire 7970s for a worth while single card upgrade? :( On the bright side these cards have proved to be awesome value for money, can't remember the last time I had GPUs last this long and still run pretty much everything thrown at them.

Its a shame for us enthusiasts though - the market is that stagnant that we have been served up rebadge after rebadge all on 28nm.

Caporegime
I think I'm going to stick to 1080p and get a GSYNC monitor so hopefully when the 880 or 9 series land I can use a single card and get close to 144fps. Never fancied a dual card setup, I have however been tempted to trade my 780 for a 690.

Soldato
OP
Nvidia Maxwell Geforce 800 comes in September. 20nm?

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/35488-nvidia-maxwell-geforce-800-comes-in-september

20nm desktop chip is ready

Nvidia was always cautious when talking about upcoming Maxwell parts, the first of which was launched back in March and based on the first-generation Maxwell architecture.

This left quite a bit of room for speculation about the second generation chip which was the new architecture shrunk to 20nm. We learned that Geforce GT 750 TI and 750 cards were closer to the Kepler architecture than originally thought, but they were also much more power efficient than Kepler chips, so Nvidia decided to call this transitional architecture Maxwell.

Soldato
20nm isn't even supposed to be that great. :(

16nm finfet turbo is the process that will unleash these next gen arch's, but it's 2 years away.

Soldato
Our good friend Alatar just brought this to everyones attention else where.

http://videocardz.com/51195/nvidia-maxwell-gm200-pascal-gp100-confirmed-research-paper

very interesting scientific paper has been discovered by 3DCenter.

Paper titled “Suitability of NVIDIA GPUs for SKA1-Low” has revealed some NVIDIA’s plans for the upcoming Maxwell and Pascal architecture.

This document would probably mean nothing, if one of the authors wasn’t working for NVIDIA itself. Mike Clark, who is Compute DevTech Engineer at NVIDIA, has contributed to this research, so it would be rather shocking if the data he provided would be bogus.

NVIDIA’s Big Cores 2012-2016
FLOPS/Watt Timeline
GK110 12 November 2012
GK210 14 Summer 2014
GM200 25 End of 2014
GP100 35 Beginning of 2016
Kepler GK110/210

First up, we have Kepler GK110, which was revealed in 2012. This GPU is currently being replaced by GK210, a re-binned, more efficient chip, which is available with some Quadro cards.

Maxwell GM200

The most interesting part is where GM200 pops up. According to this document, the Big Maxwell would arrive yet in this year. This GPU would be twice as power efficient as GK110. Of course this doesn’t mean it’s twice as fast in games.
It means that with the same power consumption, it will deliver 208% of GK110′s synthetic performance. This is probably where 28nm node limits end. GM200 silicons are still in development stage. It will take only few months for GM204 to launch since we first saw it at Zauba. GM200 appeared just 2 months later. Late 2014 launch seems plausible.

Pascal GP200

Pascal GP100 would be 3 times more power efficient than Kepler, this is where 16nm arrives. While 3x better efficiency sounds great, that’s jut 40% above Maxwell. Not exactly what we expected from such a small node, but bear in mind 16nm is just 20nm with FinFET.

Pascal architecture is probably where we are going to see a new naming scheme. GeForce 800 and 900 series will likely stick to Maxwell (including die shrinks). So what you guys think about GeForce GTX 1800 followed by GTX 2800?

Last edited:
Associate

Nope, Nvidia have expertly manipulated everyone into the brand and name changes as generational improvements. Only the tech minded few realise we've been taken for a ride financially and performance wise. Even many members on this forum don't care. Salivating at Titans (what a joke of a card) and the like.

We should be expecting a card that doubles the previous generations flagship. But instead we get reports that this card won't even be as powerful as the 780 Ti.

Even the 7970m is even more powerful than the mobile maxwell offerings and that came out 24 months ago. Nvidia are more content to partition it's higher end into outrageous prices that incredulously the market is supporting. I'm never going to pay more than £350 on a card and even that is bordering on insanity. Who pays that much to play a humble bundle game?!

Maybe I'm getting old but there isn't anything to be excited about in the gpu or cpu market. The stagnation is real and it's be propped up by advertising, marketing and all those disciplines divorced from reality.

The improvements are shrinking but somehow the cost is rising.

Man of Honour
Salivating at Titans (what a joke of a card) and the like.

The Titans are definately not a joke, try running 4K with any 4 other cards with games maxed out and you will very quickly realise how good the Titans are. Not bad for a card that was launched over 18 months ago and is still a top performer @4K.

The real joke is an 18 month old card makes all the others look bad @4K and the only real competition it has had is the slightly faster Titan Black Edition.

8gb 290Xs are not a serious option either as you can only use two at a time due to the coolers they use and there are only 250 in existance.

Associate
We aren't going to see any *real* breakthroughs until we hit 20nm... which TSMC keep screwing with.

If nothing else, the 880s should cause a nice price drop on the "obsolete" 780(ti) :cool:

Soldato
The Titans are definately not a joke, try running 4K with any 4 other cards with games maxed out and you will very quickly realise how good the Titans are. Not bad for a card that was launched over 18 months ago and is still a top performer @4K.

The real joke is an 18 month old card makes all the others look bad @4K and the only real competition it has had is the slightly faster Titan Black Edition.

8gb 290Xs are not a serious option either as you can only use two at a time due to the coolers they use and there are only 250 in existance.

+1 While titans were expensive you have to look at how much use you have had from them and there still relative performance

Permabanned
Nope, Nvidia have expertly manipulated everyone into the brand and name changes as generational improvements. Only the tech minded few realise we've been taken for a ride financially and performance wise. Even many members on this forum don't care. Salivating at Titans (what a joke of a card) and the like.

We should be expecting a card that doubles the previous generations flagship. But instead we get reports that this card won't even be as powerful as the 780 Ti.

Even the 7970m is even more powerful than the mobile maxwell offerings and that came out 24 months ago. Nvidia are more content to partition it's higher end into outrageous prices that incredulously the market is supporting. I'm never going to pay more than £350 on a card and even that is bordering on insanity. Who pays that much to play a humble bundle game?!

Maybe I'm getting old but there isn't anything to be excited about in the gpu or cpu market. The stagnation is real and it's be propped up by advertising, marketing and all those disciplines divorced from reality.

The improvements are shrinking but somehow the cost is rising.

Nonsense. Titans are far from a joke and guess what.... if you think that then they clearly were not aimed at you. As a compute card they actually offer good value. Top end cards (excluding the titans) have always been minimal gains for big money. People argue the 8800gtx but one card does not a trend break.

And as for £350 for a card to play humble bundle????? Theres plenty games out and arriving shortly to stress peoples gpus. I had to buy 2 780s to get decent fps on my 1400p monitor 18 months ago and played loads of games. I had 2 7970s before that were maxed out most of the time I had them as well

Associate

4 cards to get a game run properly is not a joke? It was launched when Nvidia had the 780Ti in their back pocket the whole time. The card was a pure profit making machine. The gaming performance was only partially ahead of the 780 but substantially larger price gap.

They threw in compute performance for a niche market, a justification for the larger price tag, it was marketed as the most powerful gaming card. But if you looked a bit deeper 2 670 gtxs handily beat it in all gaming benchmarks for half the cost. Problem with that though is noise. I suppose my wish is for another 8800GTX. I just dislike they the way incremental performance is the new standard.

Soldato
The Titan was released Feb 2013 which was a good few months before 780Ti and it totally blew everything out of the water. AMD have been playing catch-up ever since.

EDIT: I don't think you can compare SLI to a single card. Allot of us (myself included) would rather buy a single fast card rather than rolling the dice with SLI/Crossfire.

Man of Honour
The Titan was released Feb 2013 which was a good few months before 780Ti and it totally blew everything out of the water. AMD have been playing catch-up ever since.

EDIT: I don't think you can compare SLI to a single card. Allot of us (myself included) would rather buy a single fast card rather than rolling the dice with SLI/Crossfire.

Single fast cards is where its at

(but you get two of them :cool::cool:)

Back
Top Bottom