Project UnderOverStated - A 900D Watercooling Migration

Man of Honour
Yes, lose top optical bay, for a full length device but my Fan controller still clears.

If you wanted to drills holes for the res you could drill 4 in total should you wish, but would likely get away with 2. I drilled no holes.

I bought the sticky back velcro from B&Q, turns out the width I bought was perfect for the res mounting plate.

Was it difficult to fill that reservoir, did you use a funnel and tubing?

Soldato
OP
Was it difficult to fill that reservoir, did you use a funnel and tubing?

There is a baffle at the top so the actual opening beyond the fill port is much smaller. If you use a big funnel into the fill port and pour too much it will just over flow. I used the very fine opening of the Mayhems Premix bottles and it was fine. The bottle gives fine control of flow itself and the fine tip just made life easier.

Took my time and had plenty of kitchen roll scattered around the res.

I think you would find it hard to do with a funnel in all honesty. There is only a few MM of available space from the top of the fill port and the start of the baffle. You can get adapters that turn the M20 (I think?) threaded fill port into a G1/4 so you could in theory attach tubing on a fitting directly then fill with tube + funnel.

Edit - One of these:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-264-XS

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Today I swapped out my analogue Lamptron FC2 for an Aquacomputer Aquearo LT. Oh dear.....I started at 10am, knowing full well it was going to require a few hours. Initially I felt the passive heatsink was enough, but decided that rather than have to re-do work should it not be - I got the waterblock instead.

As part of the Aquaero LT and the waterblock I got the following addons:
RGB LED Module
5.25" Mounting Kit
G/14 Temp Sensor

The first job was plugging in the Aquaero alone over USB and 1 - Ensuring it was not DOA and 2 - On latest firmware.

With that done the next job was stripping out the current Lamptron and draining the loop. All easy enough. Dusted out the case. Then realised that since the initial custom loop the fans on my lower 480 rad have been pulling air from the case and pushing it outside....DOH! Quick reverse of fans and that was sorted.

I then physically installed the block/fittings and mounting kit on the Aquaero and found a suitable position, checked all cabling reached and then fixed it in.

I decided that for my water temp sensor I did not want to fix it to any blocks or radiators directly. I felt the radiation of heat from those items themselves would increase what the water temp actually was. Instead I opted to install on the return port of my Photo pump/res combo.

The G1/4 water temp sensor is very simple, but the o-ring comes separably in the bag and it seemed a little too big and loose once put on the thread.....I was initially suspicious of this part...more on that later.

New tubing was run to integrate the Aquaero into the loop and all the sensors placed. I've got the following configuration:

Channel 1 - Intake Fans
Sensor 1 - Temp probe on intake

Channel 2 - Lower Rad Fans
Sensor 2 - Temp probe on external of Lower Rad

Channel 3 - Upper Rad Fans
Sensor 2 - Temp probe on external of Upper Rad

Channel 4 - Exhaust Fan
Sensor 4 - Temp probe for ambient internal case

Sensor 5 - G1/4 inline water temp probe

RGB illumination module inserted into Photon tube res

Everything installed, cables tidied - Leak test time! Filled the loop and started leak testing. The position of the Aquaero in the drive bays leaves VERY LITTLE room to work. It's hard to see and hard to tighten fittings. This was my primary focus of attention for leaks. It was going to be hard enough to see even if there was one. Happily all appeared fine, dry kitchen roll + no feel of water on a fingertip test = good times. I left the loop running for a good 10 minutes while visually checking for leaks.

Leak......return port of the tube res....balls. Mopped it up with paper towel, initial thought was it was some beaded water left over from swapping fittings around for the inline temp sensor. once dry kept an eye on it...water egress....definite leak! :( My initial concerns about the inline temp sensor and it;s o-ring arrangements had been realised.

Drained loop again (THANK GOD I use quick disconnects for this) inline temp sensor removed. I crossed my fingers and hoped it was just a bad fit between res and sensor and that a different configuration would be suitable. I put my EK compression 45 Deg fitting directly into the res, THEN the inline water sensor and finally another EK regular compression fitting after to attach tubing. Tightened up and re-filled.

Hurrah...no leaks. I am not sure why the inline sensor leaked here but I suspect it's the less than perfectly flat surface afforded by the Photon tube res. The compression threads/o-rings fit snugly in the somewhat recessed area of the res. The inline sensor is much happier attached to other fittings and, I suspect, would have been fine on a radiator or large flat area block. Something to keep in mind if you plan on using one!

With the system back up and running I spent some HOURS messing with the Aquacomputer Aquasuite. Oh my, what a LOVELY piece of software. I have configured a number of software sensors to pull in CPU and GPU temps and also some virtual sensors which average out my CPU and 2 x GPU temps.

I have configured a fan curve for my Intake/Exhaust fans based on temp reported by the ambient case sensor. Another fan curve is configured on the average temp reported by the CPU+GPUs virtual sensor - this controls my 8 radiator fans in isolation of the case fans.

The RGB illumination module is hooked up to my Water temp values and the threshold temps set. I might need to play with these thresholds but so far they seem good.

Low (Blue) 25 Deg C
Optimal (Green) 35 Deg C
High (Red) 40 Deg C

The RGB module works lovely, and transitions between colours with some amount of radiance, rather than fixed solid colours. It also blinks red in colour when there is an Alarm on the system - Be that temp, fan speed or whatever other warning you configure. Very sexy stuff.

The overview pages take a little while to get to grips with, but once you crack it then you will be throwing meters and graphs out like a pro. once configured I was very pleased to learn that you can overlay it onto your desktop, mine is now affixed to my secondary monitor alongside my Rainmeter arrangement.

All in all, many hours, not the cheapest of solutions but VERY VERY powerful, customisable and best of all - Badass.

I am glad I went for the LT. The front panel display just seems all bling. I do not see the point of faffing with a hardware touchscreen/buttons when the software is so powerful and fully featured. Stealth hardware install with full software control/automation - Excellent.

Some pictures of the Aquasuite software:

aquasuite_1.jpg

aquasuite_2.jpg

aquasuite_3.jpg

aquasuite_4.jpg

Installed in the drive bay, can just about see the copper block! Very messy...but completely hidden :D
Surprised how much discolouration the Primochill Advanced LRT has sustained. Very noticeable when you put next to fresh tubing!
aquaero_lt_1.jpg

aquaero_lt_2.jpg

Photon Res > 45 Deg Fitting > in-line water temp sensor > standard fitting. Leak free config.
aquaero_lt_3.jpg

Money shots!
aquaero_lt_4.jpg

aquaero_lt_5.jpg

Back to a totally clean 900D. I must admit, I never, ever used the manual controls of the LC2....too much hassle. Automation is king :D
aquaero_lt_6.jpg

Video of the Res with RGB module. The changes are very quick as I set it to CPU Temp and ran Intel Burn Test, just to demonstrate. Normally the change is far slower/subtle with more gradient points :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I should also mention, I had a huge hardware refresh some time ago but never put it here.

Basically a 4970k and 2 x 780Tis on a Gigabyte Z87X-OC now :D

project900d_update.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom