• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Associate
An i right thinking ref 980 waterblocks work with ref 980 ti?

Need to do something about the ridiculous sauna environment im gaming in and i dont kjow if i should go full wc to help me out or just buy some macho fan

Not sure about 980 blocks but I know the Titan X blocks definitely fit

Soldato
An i right thinking ref 980 waterblocks work with ref 980 ti?

Need to do something about the ridiculous sauna environment im gaming in and i dont kjow if i should go full wc to help me out or just buy some macho fan

You need a Titan X block for the 980Ti reference cards. Though watercooling won't make your room any cooler if that's the issue.

Soldato
Hey chaps can I get some insight on this Firestrike score. My friends just got the 980Ti ACX and is only getting a score of 8142.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/7567327

Is it his CPU that's bottlenecking it? It's doing worse than the referenced 970 system,

Although once you look at the detailed scores of FireStrike it's doing better than a 970 by 22fps. It does lose to the i5 and 970 system on all the combined tests though.

Yeah, if you look at his graphics score it is about right, but the cpu score is killing the overall score

Associate
So today I've been testing the 980 Ti G1, and damn dat coil whine, thats not what I wanted to hear at all. Before this I used the GTX 970 Gaming from MSI, and it was silent as hell, ran cool and had no weird noise whatsoever. Needless to say, this is the first time ever I've heard such a whining/beeping noise. When I go to desktop or during loading screens the coil whine seems to stop, but then in-game I hear a loud whining noise.

Soldato
Yeah, if you look at his graphics score it is about right, but the cpu score is killing the overall score

That's what I was thinking. In all the graphics only tests he's 1-3% slower than one of my Superclocked 980Ti's. Although on all the combined tests he gets hammered by 66% on average, and it's wrecking his overall score.

I only made him run 3DMark because he was only getting 40-55fps in the Witcher 3 at 1080p Ultra.

Was afraid it was his CPU, which up until a month ago use to always overheat and shutdown as well because the reference cooler got unseated slightly.

Now to get him to replace it with an Intel Skylake system when those are out.

Last edited:
Associate
You need a Titan X block for the 980Ti reference cards. Though watercooling won't make your room any cooler if that's the issue.

Urgghhh youre probably right. I have no other cooler room to my pc in and the room its in is always facing the sun. ...

Guess I'll have to game half naked from now on

EDIT: on another note i ordered some evga backplates for my 2 reference cards. Dont know how much it will affect temps but, i dont like the look of the bare pcb

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks :) - I was worried about max oc ability and coil whine....and if it would work on my old z68 board (seen a few people where it wouldnt) - but (now touch wood*) everything seems okay so far :)

@ prince + N19 - I ran some benchmarks etc and slowly increased until my display driver stopped responding at one point while running heaven - then swapped over to firestrike ultra @ +130% power and +175 core clock giving a boost of 1567 I ran 3dmark and all went well, so I toned back the power to 100% - wouldnt run, upped to 110% and got he same score as I had at 130% - thats pretty much what asic quality is, doesnt increase the oc per say but lowers the power it can runs its max oc at?

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks :) - I was worried about max oc ability and coil whine....and if it would work on my old z68 board (seen a few people where it wouldnt) - but (now touch wood*) everything seems okay so far :)

@ prince + N19 - I ran some benchmarks etc and slowly increased until my display driver stopped responding at one point while running heaven - then swapped over to firestrike ultra @ +130% power and +175 core clock giving a boost of 1567 I ran 3dmark and all went well, so I toned back the power to 100% - wouldnt run, upped to 110% and got he same score as I had at 130% - thats pretty much what asic quality is, doesnt increase the oc per say but lowers the power it can runs its max oc at?

Yup. That's a darn nice OC though.

ythx7i5.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking at maybe getting these in sli and maybe a third down the line. Don't plan to overclock, well maybe what gibbo suggested a few post back, for 24/7 gaming clocks.
Questions:
Reference cards for more than one card?
EVGA 980ti super clock reference, yay or nay?
Two 980ti vs my titan black sli, big difference or not?

Soldato
Thanks :) i just went up in inc. of 25 tbh - afterburner says my max core is 1567 but 3dmark only recorded as 1327 - is this an error in 3dmark then I assume?

73% Asic is very nice - what clocks you got on that?

No overclocks here, except for the factory 10% on my superclocked cards. Both are reference ones. First card is 73% second is 67%.

Back
Top Bottom