• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Pascal GTX 1080 Owners Thread

Associate
1. id pay to see that and 2. unfortunately we wont see it as you are right, the TI will be near £800 at least on release because "NVIDIA".

It is a shame that some people are so quick to write these cards off so early when the drivers havent even been fully optimised. Might i remind you all that this is a direct replacement for the 980 GTX that was priced over £440 on release. This thing is 60% more powerful and kicks arse as a single GPU solution. It may not do the Witcher 3 at 60fps in 4K but that is some feat and anyone who expected it is completely deluded!

I think what has happened here is that there was so much belief in the hype that people complete forgot about what the card is designed to replace and compete with.

well lets think..

just because 1080s are over priced atm..doesn't mean we don't see same prices for a 1080 ti which I think we will tbh...when the 1080ti does release Pascal will be 1 year old and Nvidia will have a lot more competition from AMD, considering the gtx 1080 is 525-700 it isn't impossible at all, just because everyone is moaning about stock supplies its Nvidia business plan again to give the customers cards in dips and drabs to keep the hype/demand as high as possible

Associate
Thinking of canceling my FTW order tomorrow and just getting an FE card. Asking in here as id like too know how you guys are getting on with temps and also has the fan revving issue been sorted out ? thanks sam

Caporegime
Your video gregster.... compared to this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux7aH7r1KoI&feature=youtu.be

The 1080 looks much better there compared to your video.

For example the 1080 minimum FPS is as fast or faster than the average of 1070 or 980ti.

I always put the slider in the NCP to "prefer max quality" to stop any shenanigans at driver level, I also use full Ultra and had everything on in The Division except Chromatic Aberration (horrible thing to have on) and the same for Tomb Raider, which had 2xMSAA. I run the test 3 times on each card and take the one that got the average of the 3 and used that for my video, although there wasn't much in it anyways. As I paid for my hardware, I will give it to you straight and don't need to butter anything up and that would be disingenuous to people who view my video.

Edit:

And don't forget a Titan X is something like 1250Mhz clock but mine is the SC version and 1320Mhz clock, so it has a bit of a head start.

Hey, the video shows ~60% fan speed - do you know what that translates to in terms of RPM?

Sure, at 60%, the fans RPS is 2519 RPM.

My new Mobo will be here tomorrow, so I will be reinstalling Windows 10 once everything is built and testing with the 6850K as well. I expect frames to remain roughly the same though but we will see....

Last edited:
Associate
Just got mine today a EVGA FE

I switched like a weather vane from FTW to KFA2 now got an FE

To be honest haven't had a lot of time with it but the first things I've noticed is just how quiet it is compared to my TX.

Did some basic comparison benchmarking and it's just Marginally quicker at stock than the TX is when overclocked.

I had a brief mess about with after burner and it easily boosts to 2100 even with the fan at 70% it quieter again than TX

Giving me a rough average of 10-15% performance increase over the OC TX

Not really a great upgrade or value for money but it's shiny , quieter and a lot cooler

Do me guv :)

I've got a EK block to fit later as well

Associate
My G10 Watercooled Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE :cool:
Sits at 26 C Idle, 38 C Loaded. Fans fixed at 27%.
GDDR5X sits at about 55 C using heat gun so not worried about lack of cooling at front of card - a lot cooler than it would be if it had a reference cooler over it.
Back of card sits around 35-40 C. I managed to retain back plated by using M2 nuts that I had in my kit box, the FE cards have these tiny screws that screws into the nut of the screw that itself screws into the cooler!
Can easy hit 2100 but I found there is not much gains after 1900MHz. Very fast card, if you have a Ti already it is pretty close, however the 1080 does it with a lot less power!

Last edited:
Associate
Thinking of canceling my FTW order tomorrow and just getting an FE card. Asking in here as id like too know how you guys are getting on with temps and also has the fan revving issue been sorted out ? thanks sam

The fan issue is fixed with the latest driver.

Temps will normally reach 83C (the default Nvidia limit) if you're running a game that pushes the card and you're also using the default fan profile - obviously it depends on room temperature and case setup but for me the fan normally reaches 50 - 55% in these situations.

It's worth pointing out though that the fan on a reference 1080 running at 60% is still quieter than the reference 980ti fan at 50%, so the fan is quieter in general - I would guess that the 1080 fan has to reach 65 - 70% in order to match the volume of the 980ti fan at 50 - 55%!

Overclocking is a bit more tricky than the 980ti I've found as the card seems more likely to throttle and downclock, plus since it tends to boost to around 1800mhz anyway that only really leaves you 200mhz worth of headroom before most 1080's seem to be hitting their limits. So you add the 200mhz in afterburner but unless you keep the fan speed up (above 65% for me) you'll rarely keep the 2000mhz boost for a sustained period of time. I should say this is just my experience and obviously some people will be more lucky. I have a good case though (FT05) and it has ninja cable management.

Looking at a game framerate I used the Witcher 3. With everything maxed out at 4k and hair works turned OFF my 980ti's in SLI running at 1380mhz would average between 55 - 60fps but this was pushing the cards hard with 100% usage. The 1080's in SLI running at stock clocks are averaging 70 - 80fps (with the same game settings of course). This means there is the option of turning hair works on (I hate how that setting has become such a 'thing') or just turning vsync on and suddenly the cards aren't been pushed to their limits (80 - 85% usage) and the system is nearly silent.

Overall I'm happy with the 1080 cards, especially the quieter fan, but I feel like there isn't much room to boost framerates with overclocking compared to the reference 980ti - I feel like adding 200mhz to the 980ti's showed a bigger framerate gain relative to what I'm seeing with the 1080's.

Associate
Yes but a 360 rad is what I had and it means the fans do not really need to run :)
A 120 rad gets you about 55 C so I am happy with the gains.

Wow you've made the 400Q look tiny with all that stuffed in there! :D

My 400C looks massive with just 4 fans, stock intel cooler and no GPU at the moment. Hopefully my cooler and GPU upgrade in the very near future will change that haha

Associate
Wow you've made the 400Q look tiny with all that stuffed in there! :D

My 400C looks massive with just 4 fans, stock intel cooler and no GPU at the moment. Hopefully my cooler and GPU upgrade in the very near future will change that haha

It is quiet a small case TBH, I do love it, nice big rad up front drawing in lots of cool filtered air. Same rig just took out the 980 Ti Classified. It looks less full in real life.

My last case for years a 650d and it was a behemoth, I have prefer disk-less (m.2 on mobo), small, clean and quiet these days, must be getting old :D

Still more cable management (remove extra SLI cable etc)

Associate
u took the words right outa my mouth.

my h55 cools my 1080 to the same temps. Please dont say u bought a 360 rad specialy for the gpu?

Ok, what do i need to buy to make this happen? Did not realise I could use a corsair cooler on a 1080 yet.

Also just loaded Witcher 3 up and maxed it out at 1440p and could not maintain a solid 60fps, pretty disappointed tbh. Is this normal?

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
Ok, what do i need to buy to make this happen? Did not realise I could use a corsair cooler on a 1080 yet.

Also just loaded Witcher 3 up and maxed it out at 1440p and could not maintain a solid 60fps, pretty disappointed tbh. Is this normal?

Thanks

Change the Hairworks AA setting to x4 or x2.

If that doesn't work, surely there must be something wrong.

Associate
Stick me on the roll....

image1.JPG

IMG_6232.JPG

Back
Top Bottom