• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Pascal GTX 1080 Owners Thread

Associate
I made an order for 2x EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0 cards at a local Scandinavian webshop the 27th of May. Today an employee of the sales departement called me and told me, that unfortunately they had oversold the quantity of the total pre-ordered cards, so that model wouldn't be in stock till very late in July at best :(
However, he told me, if I was willing to get 2x EVGA GTX 1080 Super Clocked ACX 3.0 cards instead, he would upgrade my order to those cards for free and get them shipped to me today !. I told him sure that was fine with me, I'd love to get those :D So now I'm getting the Super Clocked versions to the same price as the regular ACX 3.0 - that's just awesome :D The cards will arrive just in time for the weekend!

Now that's good customer service and one heck of a deal! Nice! Will you be posting back on them, maybe make a video?

Soldato
Because at the moment, there is in built protection built in on Pascal which limits voltage to 1.25v
so doesnt matter if its FE or Kingpin or one single power conencor or 2 8 pin, the result is the same max volts.

Been said for a while that Nvidia would curtail Overclocking,

and it certainly looks that way with Pascal so far.

I think an MSI Lightning or a Kingpin will demolish the FE card with ease.

Hope your right mate but I doubt it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Been said for a while that Nvidia would curtail Overclocking,

and it certainly looks that way with Pascal so far.

Hope your right mate but I doubt it.

I hope I am right too or it could be an expensive mistake.:eek:

I don't think NVidia have curtailed overclocking so much as having to have stock clocks high enough to compete with their own cards like the 980 Ti, unfortunately this uses up most of the overclocking headroom available.

Soldato
Nvidia has done away with ASIC on pascal. There will be kingpin cards capable of X mhz, but there wont be any ASIC value ones.

They are all voltage hard locked to 1.25v and even at this voltage not much difference over reference unless its under LN2 as shown with the strix card.

Put it this way FE cards are limited to about 1.08v and still able to hit similar/better clocks than custom bios cards so far.

It will likely be down to chip quality more than anything else. At least that is what is shown so far.

no one has gone much above 1.08 on the stock bios, so its going to need bios flashing to get to 1.25v and from what the likes of Tin are saying anything above 1.25v is of no benefit without LN2 anyway

people looking to OC above stock volts would be best off getting a card with dual bios (and a warranty that goes with it) to be able to run an unlocked bios (unlocked power limit and able to actually hit 1.25v)

so yeah, we don't actually know what the value of cards like the classified are yet until they get in to people's hands and we see what 1080's can do with a bit more voltage than the stock bios allows

in a way, its actually a good thing that nvidia are improving the tools that allow complete beginners to get much closer to the best performance they can get effectively with a single button

Last edited:
Soldato
no one has gone much above 1.08 on the stock bios, so its going to need bios flashing to get to 1.25v and from what the likes of Tin are saying anything above 1.25v is of no benefit without LN2 anyway

people looking to OC above stock volts would be best off getting a card with dual bios (and a warranty that goes with it) to be able to run an unlocked bios (unlocked power limit and able to actually hit 1.25v)

so yeah, we don't actually know what the value of cards like the classified are yet until they get in to people's hands and we see what 1080's can do with a bit more voltage than the stock bios allows

in a way, its actually a good thing that nvidia are improving the tools that allow complete beginners to get much closer to the best performance they can get effectively with a single button

The guys who tested the strix did get it to 1.25v but the card was still only able to hit 2.1ghz. Under LN2 however it managed 2.4ghz

It will be interesting to see if FTW, classified, kingpin, Lightning has any major difference in achievable clocks. I hope so but I'm not so sure.

Associate
Yep, The thing is I took today off work specifically for the card and because someones cockup in the warehouse it's a day wasted.

Sorry to hear that :( did you contact OcUK and what did they say? I've not heard anything back from them yet, sounds like we both have the same problem. I was fearing they had actually run out of stock of my card and that I'll be waiting a week or so for the next batch to arrive!

Soldato
Sorry to hear that :( did you contact OcUK and what did they say? I've not heard anything back from them yet, sounds like we both have the same problem. I was fearing they had actually run out of stock of my card and that I'll be waiting a week or so for the next batch to arrive!

I've left a message in the customer help part of the forum.

I doubt it's a stock problem as it still shows plenty in stock so in all likely hood someone made a cockup at the warehouse of which we now have to pay for.

Soldato

Could not manage 2 Ghz stable, ouch. But then again I do not think its unexpected and really silicon lottery at this stage and that sample being slightly below average. The FTW will still be a better card for most overall given a comparable quality chip to one in FE as it should be able to maintain its boost while running cooler and quieter.

I do wonder, will EVGA put their cherry picked silicon chips into the classified? Could make it a more tantalising reason to opt for that.

Back
Top Bottom