The ROG Rampage V Edition 10 Owners Thread

Vore

V

Vore

My 6950X is on the way, 99% sure I will get one of these boards to go with it. I just cannot resist - eager to hear how you guys get on with it. Bit undecided with RAM selection though...

Probably will just keep to keep my current build in tact and do a new themed build in a 909 with big boy pascal when it arrives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Kaap could you do me a massive favour, i really want this board, but can you specifically test for me if you can turn the stupid RGB crap things off, like completely off not white not blue not one solid colour like off off!

Also could you remove the armour thing as well so can i see what the board looks like without it?

Dont understand why any review i've seen no one states if you can turn the RGB off or even removed the armour.

To answer this, yes you can turn off the RGB LED entirely so it's not lit. I've not found a way to remove the armour easily however, I wanted to temporarily do this as there's a bit of transparent plastic that you're meant to be able to peel off but it's stuck underneath part of it, so I've had to leave it there :(.

Associate
To answer this, yes you can turn off the RGB LED entirely so it's not lit. I've not found a way to remove the armour easily however, I wanted to temporarily do this as there's a bit of transparent plastic that you're meant to be able to peel off but it's stuck underneath part of it, so I've had to leave it there :(.

Well being able to completely switch off the RGB is slowly swaying me, might just get it, never know might look better in person

Man of Honour

I had that problem with the plastic too.

Associate
Is anyone getting micro stuttering or severe input lag? I've tried a fresh install of both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, all drivers installed and up to date, even no overclocking and I seem to be getting stuttering and USB devices dropping for some milliseconds (e.g. keyboard/mouse) when playing something as simple as a video (the video itself is generally smooth though). Investigating further I noticed the DPC latency is spiking which I imagine is why, but I don't know what's causing it yet. I'm hoping it's not a fault with the motherboard. ASUS X99 Deluxe was fine with the same hardware.

System Specs: http://valid.x86.fr/rhahw8 - Seasonic 1200W Platinum PSU

8-pin and 4-pin power for CPU are connected, however the 4-pin molex on the motherboard for the graphics cards isn't. I can't imagine that would be the problem?

BIOS settings are pretty much default (hyperthreading, wifi and bluetooth disabled at the moment). Interestingly the BIOS doesn't seem to recognise the GPU's when I look at the 'GPU Post' section in the BIOS, not sure if that's a bug or part of my problem. Computer speaker on boot up does the standard blip sound, along with one short beep shortly after. No errors show up however.

EDIT 1: Problem seems to have disappeared for now. Not sure why or what I did that might've caused that.

Last edited:
Associate
Maybe it's worth me upgrading to 0601, it might fix the problem I had from occurring again.

EDIT: After running GPU-Z I noticed one my GPU's (presumably my primary one) is running at PCI-E 2.0 x8 (PCI-E 2.0 x16) while the other is running at PCI-E 3.0 x16 (PCI-E 3.0 x16). I imagine this is a big part of the problem I've been having, I still don't understand why however.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/details/zhnck

Last edited:
Associate
Well I tried replacing the SLI Bridge and things apparently got worse, I had no display. I've now taken out the second Titan X and the display's back, however GPU-Z says the card is running in PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ x4 3.0. I'm currently at a loss other than assuming my motherboard has a fault :(.

Man of Honour
OP
Well I tried replacing the SLI Bridge and things apparently got worse, I had no display. I've now taken out the second Titan X and the display's back, however GPU-Z says the card is running in PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ x4 3.0. I'm currently at a loss other than assuming my motherboard has a fault :(.

Have you seen this:

ICqMl75.jpg

and are the PCie x16 lane switches on (next page) and you are using the correct slots.

Last edited:
Associate
Have you seen this:

ICqMl75.jpg

and are the PCie x16 lane switches on (next page) and you are using the correct slots.

Oh, wait, I assumed that was just for LED's to show where you put them on the motherboard? I'll give it a try. At the moment however even with just one card (switched to the other Titan X), I'm just getting x8. The only thing I don't have plugged in is the 4-pin molex at the bottom of the motherboard for supply extra power to the graphics cards. For one graphics card I assumed that wouldn't be needed to get x16 anyway.

Also, the GPU Post section of the BIOS still refuses to recognise any graphics cards plugged in (every slot says 'No VGA Card').

Anyway I'll try what you suggested and see if it helps.

EDIT: Let me check what you mean about the PCI-E x16 switches.

EDIT: Yes, all switches are on.

EDIT: I've decided to try putting the single graphics card in slot 3. While the BIOS says it's x16, GPU-Z also says it's x16 however there's a catch. PCI-E 1.1 x16 @ x16 1.1. Performance however seems normal for one Titan X.

EDIT: The problem was caused by the graphics cards not seating properly in slot 1 and 3, this is unfortunately caused by the SATA ports hitting on the graphics card board itself so preventing me from seating it. Putting in the very bottom slot works fine but it's only x8 and only allows me to put one GPU in. It also shows up in the BIOS. Is there any way around this I wonder?

Last edited:
Associate
I can't quite tell for sure but I looked again at how the graphics card was hitting the SATA ports and it looks like the circuit board still has around 1mm or so gap, while the EK water block on it might be the culprit of preventing me pushing the card fully in to slot 1 and 3.

Well, as it stands my options are rather limited, but so far I can only see the following choices:
1) If it's the water block hitting the SATA ports, to try and reduce the bottom bit of it by the SATA ports very slightly
2) If it's both the water block and graphics card board hitting the SATA ports, to do number 1 and also see whether I can grind a small bit of the circuit board area that's stopping me as well (sadly voids the Titan X's warranty, not ideal)
or
3) Cut a little out of the plastic on the top of the SATA ports which are currently stopping me (voids motherboard warranty, not really ideal)
or
4) Return the motherboard to the shop I purchased it from for a refund
or finally
5) Change my Titan X's and/or water block to something else that will fit

All of the above aren't particularly nice options. Surely there has to be another alternative that's viable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom