• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Pascal GTX 1070 Owners Thread

Associate
Tried 2050 and seemed to work fine in witcher 3 but when i sat down and played overwatch with a few friends the OC went unstable. Overwatch is surprisingly stressful for the gpu. Its the game with the highest core temp as well.

does overwatch get a lot of frames?

Associate
Got my Inno3d iChill Air Boss X4 this morning, great service from Overclockers

Have'nt had a chance to install it yet, will do that tomorrow, but it is one massive card.

Associate
n0dgBtx.jpg

GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR OC

got mine installed this afternoon should have checked the size tho as the power connection is forward facing so i had to bend some of the metal of my case lol

Man of Honour
OP
n0dgBtx.jpg

GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR OC

got mine installed this afternoon should have checked the size tho as the power connection is forward facing so i had to bend some of the metal of my case lol

Welcome and on TROH.:)

The Roll of Honour.

Ft2xaoP.jpg

Date 22/06/2016, Make MSI Armor OC Edition, smithy83, Link
Date 21/06/2016, Make MSI Armor OC Edition, Phixsator, Link
Date 20/06/2016, Make Palit Founders Edition, Paul_cz, Link
Date 20/06/2016, Make NVidia Founders Edition, Dave2150, Link
Date 20/06/2016, Make MSI Gaming X, AthlonXP1800, Link
Date 20/06/2016, Make Gigabyte G1 Gaming, w00dy85, Link
Date 19/06/2016, Make MSI Gaming X, kully1972, Link
Date 18/06/2016, Make MSI Gaming X, AliGoz, Link
Date 17/06/2016, Make MSI Gaming X, philo-sofa, Link
Date 16/06/2016, Make Palit Founders Edition, Biffa, Link
Date 16/06/2016, Make EVGA Founders Edition, Daaaveee, Link
Date 14/06/2016, Make EVGA Founders Edition, mankycrack, Link
Date 13/06/2016, Make NVidia Founders Edition, !bluetonic!, Link
Date 12/06/2016, Make MSI Founders Edition, yoyo59, Link
Date 11/06/2016, Make MSI Founders Edition, JamesM, Link

To get on the Roll of Honour all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your GTX 1070.​

Associate
Just a few thoughts on the MSI amour oc which i got yesterday

The fan presets seem to be aggressive they dont kick in until the GPU hits about 50c which just seems insane because i manually put the fan at 100% to see how loud it gets and they are still silent ive made my own profiles in so the fan stays at 20% at idle and kicks in when the gpu hits around 40c

I dont have a clue how i should be overclocking this card coming from a 560ti where you put a few volts and up the core the whole power voltage and core voltage i need to look into

this card also seems to be auto overclocking the core to ) 1950mhz (default boost is 1747 ive put an extra 100mhz and so the core was hitting 2050 without messing around with voltage should i be pushing it more?

Last edited:
Soldato
I dont know what kind of voodoo nvidia is pulling here but my 1070(2025 core stock mem speed) is loosing to my old 980ti(1450 core 350+ to mem) in firestrike with like 800 points difference yet the 1070 seems a good deal ahead in games like Witcher 3 and The division where i get a much improved framerate.

Witcher 3 for example i can now run with low quality hairworks on geralt and animals and it barely takes an fps hit where as on my 980ti just whispering hairworks dropped frames with atleast 20%. Makes me wonder what is going on. Also i noticed in general games that textures pop in a good deal more on the 1070 unless i force texture filtering quality to max in nv control panel. Heres the odd thing, framerate doesnt seem to lower doing this. Now ive only done basic testing so there may be some faults on my part so do not use this as gospel for an argument :)

Soldato
I dont have a clue how i should be overclocking this card coming from a 560ti where you put a few volts and up the core the whole power voltage and core voltage i need to look into

this card also seems to be auto overclocking the core to ) 1950mhz (default boost is 1747 ive put an extra 100mhz and so the core was hitting 2050 without messing around with voltage should i be pushing it more?

Whack the voltage and power sliders to maximum. Monitor the GPU core speed when gaming or benchmark and then just increase the core bit by bit until it's not stable.

Keep the temps as low as possible to help stop GPU Boost from throttling the core slightly.

Associate
I dont know what kind of voodoo nvidia is pulling here but my 1070(2025 core stock mem speed) is loosing to my old 980ti(1450 core 350+ to mem) in firestrike with like 800 points difference yet the 1070 seems a good deal ahead in games like Witcher 3 and The division where i get a much improved framerate.

Witcher 3 for example i can now run with low quality hairworks on geralt and animals and it barely takes an fps hit where as on my 980ti just whispering hairworks dropped frames with atleast 20%. Makes me wonder what is going on. Also i noticed in general games that textures pop in a good deal more on the 1070 unless i force texture filtering quality to max in nv control panel. Heres the odd thing, framerate doesnt seem to lower doing this. Now ive only done basic testing so there may be some faults on my part so do not use this as gospel for an argument :)

Interesting observations! I would suspect drivers behind some of that - texture pop in suggests filtering is defaulting to a speedier standard OR there's a small bug somewhere - we saw in the AOTS demo some minor IQ bugs that subsequent driver updates fixed. Try playing with different AA modes as iirc they often apply some negative LOD clamping to compensate for softening of textures.

Soldato
Just a few thoughts on the MSI amour oc which i got yesterday

The fan presets seem to be aggressive they dont kick in until the GPU hits about 50c which just seems insane because i manually put the fan at 100% to see how loud it gets and they are still silent ive made my own profiles in so the fan stays at 20% at idle and kicks in when the gpu hits around 40c

It will have a fan stop technology. Basically desktop or low load the fans are not needed. Gaming and high load the fans kick in to desired can curve.

There really isn't much point in keeping the fans at 20% all the time, keeping it 40c instead of 50c is not going to make a difference. Keeping the fan off will keep the noise down and help prolong fan life.

Associate
Whack the voltage and power sliders to maximum. Monitor the GPU core speed when gaming or benchmark and then just increase the core bit by bit until it's not stable.

Keep the temps as low as possible to help stop GPU Boost from throttling the core slightly.

Is the voltage slider in Afterburner actually doing anything? Mine shows as % as well which I wouldn't expect?

Sliding it all the way up doesn't seem to do anything on my EVGA 1070 FE. No more stability or overclocking, or heat which I would expect.

I've just set the power limit to max, core to +150 memory +650 and left it at that. I can squeeze around 15-20 more on the core for benching but not stable after a while in Overwatch and BF4. Setting a more aggressive fan profile will let the boost level out to 1950mhz, but over 60% fan is more audible than I like so I've left it on the stock fan profile with 83c temp limit. This drops boosts a little and they average around 1850mhz.

Associate
So are prices going to drop slightly as sites get constant stock in an the excitement calms down, or is £380-400 the cheapest price there going to be?

As im kind of holding out in thinking that the prices that Nvidia stated (£320-350) will become a reality otherwise if £400 is going to be the RRP then ill get one now

Back
Top Bottom