AMD POLARIS RX-480 IN STOCK: THE PERFECT GAMING UPGRADE!!

Soldato
Wish there was also more info about the 470, though it's only rumours but the specs look almost exactly like 480, just slightly underclocked. Maybe 5-10% slower at most and should come out at £139 for 4gb.

Associate
Buy the R9 390 that was on here for £199 better performance and cheaper with 8GB I feel AMD have screwed up here when a GTX 970 and R9 290 still on par or beat it. If Nvidia supported freesync I'd have no reason not to buy a 1080.

And that's why I don't see the 8GB 480 doing well. When the older (and sometimes better performing) cards can be had for less. More 4GB please! And where's the custom cooler models?

OcUK Staff
OP
And that's why I don't see the 8GB 480 doing well. When the older (and sometimes better performing) cards can be had for less. More 4GB please! And where's the custom cooler models?

I am in AMD Munich HQ Office now, if I remember I shall take a photo of the building later.

Custom cards, I shall list for pre-order soon but it looks like only Sapphire are ready, though their Nitro card looks fantastic, clean design, backplate and 8-pin power.

I have also requested more 4GB cards but the reality is once our current 4GB inventory is sold out we will not see more for around another months time and the price won't be any cheaper as the part was used to hit a price with no margin.

RX-470 looks good, that is all I can say but it is not RX-480 GPU so its performance is less so which was expected as the part will also obviously cost less too.

Associate
With the addition of an 8 pin connector the oc potentia should rise without putting excessive strain on the PCI-e power delivery. The price is in line with what is to be expected. This is countered with free shipping and OcUK support you during the warranty of the card. Win win.

Soldato
I do think these have overclocking potential though, if the power delivery is fixed and has a good cooler on it I can see it hitting quite high although that still leave the 1070 miles ahead let alone the 1080.

Associate
I do think these have overclocking potential though, if the power delivery is fixed and has a good cooler on it I can see it hitting quite high although that still leave the 1070 miles ahead let alone the 1080.

As discussed and explained over and over and over

The 480 was never gonna compete with any of the cards you mentioned

Its like posting on the Renault megane forum stating that the meganes even with that extra spoiler will never be as fast as a Ferrari or a Lamborghini

OcUK Staff
OP

1070 cost twice the money!

AMD are going for the bigger market, the gamer who has not upgraded for several years because those gamers are fedup of the stupid 400 pound plus prices for new cards.

So AMD wanted to bring a card that all gamers can afford, that offers a leap in performance for those who have not upgraded, features VR, Freesync, DX12 readiness and has low power so will work in older systems.

To be frank they have nailed it, RX-480 for OcUK has had a more successful launch than 1070 did, we have sold vastly more, infact were nearly sold out and we had 2000 cards to sell nearly.

Associate
rx 480 ftw, can't wait to see what the aftermarket coolers and 8pin power will bring to the table...

Peoples expectations are unrealistic and a total joke. Thumbs up for AMD.

Associate
rx 480 ftw

Ah but EVGA don't do AMD cards lol. A real shame about the 4GB cards, makes it seem almost as if AMD was only having them around for the PR quote of "$200 GPU". Perhaps there will be more with aftermarket coolers? I remember back with the 290x, the 4GB cards performed slightly better than the 8GB cards for some odd reason.

Too bad we gotta wait a long while on the aftermarket coolers. I saw a site earlier (in a foreign language) where an aftermarket card overclocked much better than the reference, though not amazing, one reached 1.4 and the others topped out at 1.3.

Caporegime

AMD are going for the bigger market, the gamer who has not upgraded for several years because those gamers are fedup of the stupid 400 pound plus prices for new cards.

So AMD wanted to bring a card that all gamers can afford, that offers a leap in performance for those who have not upgraded, features VR, Freesync, DX12 readiness and has low power so will work in older systems.

To be frank they have nailed it, RX-480 for OcUK has had a more successful launch than 1070 did, we have sold vastly more, infact were nearly sold out and we had 2000 cards to sell nearly.

:cool:

Soldato

The only reason AMD go for this market is because they can unfortunately no longer compete with anything higher. Even the R9 390 at the same price beats this new card what is that saying?

I love AMD and have only ever owned their cards but I have to say this is the only time I have ever felt I needed to move to the green side of things, if Nvidia stop being morons and just supported Freesync I'd already be pre ordering a 1080 with you.

OcUK Staff
OP
The only reason AMD go for this market is because they can unfortunately no longer compete with anything higher. Even the R9 390 at the same price beats this new card what is that saying?

I love AMD and have only ever owned their cards but I have to say this is the only time I have ever felt I needed to move to the green side of things, if Nvidia stop being morons and just supported Freesync I'd already be pre ordering a 1080 with you.

They are smart, this is the far bigger market! 2000 sold at OcUK in just over 24hr !!!!

Soldato
rx 480 ftw, can't wait to see what the aftermarket coolers and 8pin power will bring to the table...

Peoples expectations are unrealistic and a total joke. Thumbs up for AMD.

Seems to be the people who already had high end cards, this release was by no means meant to be high end.

OcUK Staff
Seems to be the people who already had high end cards, this release was by no means meant to be high end.

I think the poeple with the high end cards are just desperate for another high end card so they can keep up with the Jones'

This card is pitched at a massively underserviced market. Those that can't afford to upgrade their card and their PSU and probably then their case on top of that. It's a performance boost for those still running 460's and the like, for an affordable pp

gg AMD

Back
Top Bottom