The ROG Rampage V Edition 10 Owners Thread

Permabanned
Just keep the voltages under a certain threshold and it's hard to damage things.

Depends on cooling... But a good air cooler or all in one watercoooer will handle 1.3v on the cpu at reasonable temperatures easily and ddr4 is happy to 1.4-1.5v. Start with these kinda tigers and adjust the multiplier for more MHz ;)

Man of Honour
OP

Off topic - but one disappointing thing is that I have not found a way to independently adjust my lighting strip in the case and the mobo lighting - which is a shame. I would have preferred to have my lighting strip just set to white, and then set the board to whatever I like.
Maybe asus will update this at some point or maybe I have missed a trick somewhere. Otherwise a stonking board, and so it should be for the enormous cost.

Is your lighting strip issue still unresolved?

Soldato
Is your lighting strip issue still unresolved?

It is still not resolved, but Raja on the Asus forum said you can do what I want to do - but did not say how. I will need to try again through the software, but I feel it should be a lot easier than this. Still this does not detract overall on a stonking board - it is just slightly irritating.

How is your setup going?

Mark

Man of Honour
OP
It is still not resolved, but Raja on the Asus forum said you can do what I want to do - but did not say how. I will need to try again through the software, but I feel it should be a lot easier than this. Still this does not detract overall on a stonking board - it is just slightly irritating.

How is your setup going?

Mark

Mine is still sitting in boxes as we went away a couple of days after it arrived and just got back. Still deciding on what to change in the system (water cooling/solid state drive/fans. I expect complete the build by mid August now.

Soldato
Mine is still sitting in boxes as we went away a couple of days after it arrived and just got back. Still deciding on what to change in the system (water cooling/solid state drive/fans. I expect complete the build by mid August now.

Oh well - all good things comes to those who wait apparently. Lol. Good luck with the build when it happens - sure you will be happy with it.

Soldato
Hi,
Basically put the boards overclocking software is good, and it does the job, but as always it will tend to use more volts for any given clock speed - which means higher temps, which we don't want. It is better to overclock manually via the bios - it is not rocket science, but you do have to know what you are doing to be safe.
There are plenty of guides on here from 8Pack and others on the art of overclocking - have a read of some of them, and don't be afraid to try, we learn by doing.

I am not by any means an expert on clocking - there is always something to learn/try - but I learned from others and just tried things out. Give it a go - there are plenty of us here to advise if you get stuck etc. Also research it a bit online - read some others experiences to put your mind at rest.

Hope this helps - any questions just ask.

Mark

Sorry mate forgot to reply to this. Thanks for taking the time to reply I appreciate it :)

Vore

V

Vore

IMG_2410.jpg

Couldn't resist.

Associate
To preface, I own this board, and everything has been just fine since the initial setup last week, but this morning in my infinite wisdom I decided to update to the 0801 bios from the 0502 that initially was shipped. That's where things got a bit odd.

Bios updated fine, no errors, loaded optimised defaults, turned aura off, set my fan profiles, save and exit, Windows boots normally.. Notice I'd forgot to set the XMP profile so my RAM is only at 2133mhz instead of the 3000mhz it should be.

Go back to the bios and set the XMP profile, save and exit, reloads into bios.. no listing for my m.2 SSD, no on-screen errors reported, no boot sequence.

Turn off the XMP profile, save and exit, Windows boots fine, albeit with the memory running slow.

I download and try the 0601 bios, same thing, download and try the 0502 bios, again, same thing.

So now I have a board running the shipped bios version that for some reason refuses see/boot from the m.2 SSD if I set the XMP profile, but otherwise will run fine without it. Whereas a couple of hours ago it was seeing and booting fine off the same SSD with the XMP profile on the same bios version.

Quite frankly I'm at a bit of a loss..

Note; I wasn't sure whether to make a new thread or if I should use this one, I figured I could post here and if the powers that be deem it necessary then it could be split off into its own thread.

Last edited:
Soldato
To preface, I own this board, and everything has been just fine since the initial setup last week, but this morning in my infinite wisdom I decided to update to the 0801 bios from the 0502 that initially was shipped. That's where things got a bit odd.

Bios updated fine, no errors, loaded optimised defaults, turned aura off, set my fan profiles, save and exit, Windows boots normally.. Notice I'd forgot to set the XMP profile so my RAM is only at 2133mhz instead of the 3000mhz it should be.

Go back to the bios and set the XMP profile, save and exit, reloads into bios.. no listing for my m.2 SSD, no on-screen errors reported, no boot sequence.

Turn off the XMP profile, save and exit, Windows boots fine, albeit with the memory running slow.

I download and try the 0601 bios, same thing, download and try the 0502 bios, again, same thing.

So now I have a board running the shipped bios version that for some reason refuses see/boot from the m.2 SSD if I set the XMP profile, but otherwise will run fine without it. Whereas a couple of hours ago it was seeing and booting fine off the same SSD with the XMP profile on the same bios version.

Quite frankly I'm at a bit of a loss..

Note; I wasn't sure whether to make a new thread or if I should use this one, I figured I could post here and if the powers that be deem it necessary then it could be split off into its own thread.

Seems a bit weird, but maybe there is a problem with the 801 bios? Have you tried loading and booting from the second bios - see what that does as I assume it will be the original 502 bios which in theory should work fine. You could also try re downloading the latest bios and try re flashing again to the no1 bios and see how that goes. Good luck.
Have you tried a clear cmos or battery out for a while - then re set defaults and go from there? Check the m2 bios setting in bios - it may have been re set to wrong setting during the flash.
Mark

Last edited:
Associate
Some peculiarity here.

Second bios is indeed 0502, applying the XMP profile gives me the same result, no drive and no boot.. Remember something about having to use Intel RST drivers for the Windows install, flick over to EZ Mode and turn on IRST, save and reboot, and what do you know, the drive appears and Windows boots.

Ok, so if that works on the 0502 bios, surely it should work the same on the 0801 bios right? Wrong.

So now I'm running off the stock 0502 on bios slot 2 and wondering if the system will remember to use it after a complete power cycle, or whether I'm going to have to find a way to copy this bios over the non-working slot 1.

Either way, at least the system is running as it should be now, albeit on an old bios.

Bloody odd things these computers.

Associate
Anyone else tried using the SupremeFX Hi-Fi on their system yet?

Headphone output works fine for me, but Mic input doesn't appear to work properly..

If I go to Recording Devices (Control Panel>Sound) the green coloured bars do actually move, but if I enable the loopback test (Mic properties>Listen) I don't hear any sound from the Mic at all, I've tested it across every sound output and sample rate offered and get absolutely nothing. Even tried the Teamspeak loopback test, same result regardless of settings.

If I plug the Mic into the onboard, either front panel or rear, I can hear myself on loopback. It's not even a question of gain control (DAC offers none, onboard does) since with zero gain I can still hear myself fine with the onboard.

Permabanned
No that I'm aware of, I would like one too.

But I don't think you need it to be honest... a CPU block should be fine as even with increase voltages is a low-mid airflow case like the one I currently have the system in... the motherboard bits aren't going over 50C. Usually 40-45C. Unless you just want it for aesthetics.

EK should come out with one in the next couple of months though.

They have one for the previous RVE, not sure if it will fit - you could always send them a message.

Vore

V

Vore

Is there a monoblock out for this?

I asked EK and they said there wasn't one available, but it is in the pipeline as mentioned above. I was going to get a monoblock but I don't think it is necessary. They also confirmed the existing one for the RVE will not fit.

Permabanned
I asked EK and they said there wasn't one available, but it is in the pipeline as mentioned above. I was going to get a monoblock but I don't think it is necessary. They also confirmed the existing one for the RVE will not fit.

Good to know... I'm going to go with CPU-only block this time as the CPU puts out a lot of heat, while the board keeps itself more than cool enough... so I'd rather concentrate on CPU cooling.

Associate
Welp, did some playing around in Win10, broke the living hell out of the OS to the point of needing a re-install, and since I was gonna be unplugging drives (want the bootloader on the SSD) I figured I'd try the 0801 bios again.

Hit the bios switch on the board, fired it up, it still had the XMP profile set from last time I tried to get it working, so I hop over to the boot menu, lo and behold it now sees my SSD and I was able to both reinstall Windows and continue to boot from it.

So, since it appeared that the hardware was somehow, on its own, fixing itself, I decided to give the DAC another look.

Previously the Mic would register input on the recording devices tab but had zero output in loopback or recording tests, now it works absolutely flawlessly. Yet unless the bios change had anything to do with it, which I doubt, there's again nothing to explain why it just started working, everything else about the system is exactly the same.

Starting to wonder if Asus have invented some sort of Borg-like self repairing technology here.

Back
Top Bottom