Build Log: Lian Li PC-O6SX

Associate
OP
Is it wrong that I kind of like the rainbow lighting?! :D

:D it's a cool party trick, but no way I'm leaving it on like that in normal use.

Have the lights automatically turn off when ever GPU temps reach 40c (when gaming). Would be better based on GPU utilisations though. Really nice piece of kit, expensive but nothing is like it on the market atm.

Soldato
I went for the Aqua Computer Farbwerk. Allows colour changing based on temps but not individual control of each LED in a strip. I've got to solder individual 5mm RGB LEDs to do that :rolleyes:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Very nice, not sure about the colour of the liquid though. I would have went with red or green or even yellow. But that is subjective I suppose :p

Associate
OP
Very nice, not sure about the colour of the liquid though. I would have went with red or green or even yellow. But that is subjective I suppose :p

Thanks m8,

I understand that grey fluid is not to everyone's taste, but it does match well with the motherboard. I wanted a more neutral colour as anything bright would be too dominating as the GPU block is in full view.

Definitely not going for red though! it's been way overdone, my last loop was red and black themed.

Green would be nice, but for version 2, I would likely go yellow as I already have replacement individual braided wires for the PSU cables.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Thanks m8,

I understand that grey fluid is not to everyone's taste, but it does match well with the motherboard. I wanted a more neutral colour as anything bright would be too dominating as the GPU block is in full view.

Definitely not going for red though! it's been way overdone, my last loop was red and black themed.

Green would be nice, but for version 2, I would likely go yellow as I already have replacement individual braided wires for the PSU cables.

Yeah, any of those colours would look awesome to me. Really like what you have done.

Noticed you also live in London. Give me a shout in the future if you are ever looking to upgrade and sell your case and water cooling kit at a reasonable price. I might be interested if I have not upgraded yet myself. Happy with what I got for another few years, but it is always nice to upgrade :D

I will just need to decide if I want to do business with someone who is BornEvil. lol ;)

Associate
OP
Won't be selling it just yet :), especially the watercooling bits, my last radiator and D5 lasted 7 years through multiple builds :D

Not bored of staring at the case just yet either :D

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Won't be selling it just yet :), especially the watercooling bits, my last radiator and D5 lasted 7 years through multiple builds :D

Not bored of staring at the case just yet either :D

Don't blame you mate, I would keep that for a good while. But if some some reason you do want to sell in the next year or so, give me a shout ;)

Associate
OP
The case is very basic, it relies on what's inside to expose in order to look good. I will be wall mounting it when I move very soon and i'm treating it more like a display cabinet more than a PC case.

Therefore will try and keep it for a few more platform upgrades (normally yearly). Just hoping mATX will be better supported in the future, unlike the X99 platform.

Soldato
Keep a eye on the grey mate I had some problems with mine. Felt like it took so much dye to get it that colour that it started dropping out the coolant and sticking to my tubing.

I really want to give it another go but was a massive pain to clean out and would rather avoid going through it again.

Associate
OP
Keep a eye on the grey mate I had some problems with mine. Felt like it took so much dye to get it that colour that it started dropping out the coolant and sticking to my tubing.

I really want to give it another go but was a massive pain to clean out and would rather avoid going through it again.

Cheers m8, luckily for me, I'm using cheap soft tubing, and not intricate hard bends like yours. will take me 20 mins to replace.

BTW, was rooting for your build on Booted, watched it live and voted while working on my build late night. Really thought you should have won!

edit: you mean that the dye sinks though the PETG tubing?!?! or leak to the outside of the tubing?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Soldato
Cheers m8, luckily for me, I'm using cheap soft tubing, and not intricate hard bends like yours. will take me 20 mins to replace.

BTW, was rooting for your build on Booted, watched it live and voted while working on my build late night. Really thought you should have won!

edit: you mean that the dye sinks though the PETG tubing?!?! or leak to the outside of the tubing?

I was on a late shift as well mate. I thought the guy who won would have came 3rd and either myself or the 2nd place guy would have won it. The guy who won just had a load of stickers everywhere. I think being game themed it attracted the younger crowd.

Regarding the coolant nah it didnt sink through it, it kinda stuck to the inside. Was really weird and took a lot of blitz to get it all clean again but its all clean now with no harm done. I am going to give white pastel a go for awhile and see how it lasts before maybe trying the grey again. Report back if you have any problems.

Associate
OP
To be fair, he seems to have put a lot of effort with the stealth reservoir (much like my build). I prefer clean straight bends but can't fault his effort, a fair few mods to the stock case too. I think the Portal theme is a bit polarising, love it or hate it. I like Portal a lot, but I feel he over did it with the Aperture decals, would look much better with no branding and a more neutral colour theme.

It's one of those that would stand out in a one-off competition but for looking at everyday, I much prefer yours or the Corsair build.

Having owned a Evolv mATX, I appreciate the trouble and hurdles you have gone through to fit all those parts into a small case. Maybe cos your spec sheet is not the latest and greatest might have hindered the votes but should not take away from your quality of craftsmanship as a case modder :).

Regarding the coolant nah it didnt sink through it, it kinda stuck to the inside. Was really weird and took a lot of blitz to get it all clean again but its all clean now with no harm done. I am going to give white pastel a go for awhile and see how it lasts before maybe trying the grey again. Report back if you have any problems.

Will do, probably won't be soon as I don't have a reason to flush for now. Maybe when I get round to using the Alphacool chrome hard tubes.

Associate
OP
Very nice! - I also like the look of the fans being hidden at the top so you only see the rad. Looks quite clean when you are used to seeing fans underneath.

Thanks, I'm quite pleased with how that part tuned out, obviously not going to have noctua beige visible :). Was considering going for led fans visible as I ditched the top led strip, but decided on the clean look instead.

Very nice, I've a feeling mine's not going to be as tidy looking when I'm done :D

Of course you can m8, your specs are better than mine and it deserves the effort! I've been following your build closely on OcUK forum and the other one :)

Back
Top Bottom