Sky Fibre Optic

Soldato
Is there any reason why BT fibre shouldn't be the same speed as Sky.

I have Fibre pro with Sky - been happy with them but they won't budge from £30 a month cost price (was £20 for 12 months). Tried numerous times to leave, call/chat with them but won't shift at all.

I generally sync around 55/60. So BT do a 52mb package for £10 a month. i/e £20 a month cheaper. Also around £100 cashback plus £100 prepaid mastercard.

Upfront cost is £49 activcation and postage for router so around £56.

Surely the speeds should capped out at their 52mb if I am sync around 55/60 on Sky??

Soldato
Yeah but don't forget it's only 10 upload vs 18 with Sky.

true. don't upload a great deal of stuff. At the end of the day, it's £240 a year cheaper, plus £100 cashback and £100 mastercard. So £440 to have a slightly slower upload and I can always go back after 12 months!

edit - 14mb upload is my sync with sky

Man of Honour
Yeah that's my thinking. I get about 45 down and 18 up on my line, I don't really upload that often apart from to YouTube now and then so I don't think I'd miss the speed, but will be saving a fair amount of money given that I'm currently paying Zen £48 a month incl line rental.

Caporegime
I'm finding it hard to understand why Sky won't budge on the £30 fibre pro for some people yet others, like myself, were given the pro upgrade free for three months and after that it'll be only £5 more (£25 instead of £30). I've only just gone past 12 months with them.

Man of Honour
I'm finding it hard to understand why Sky won't budge on the £30 fibre pro for some people yet others, like myself, were given the pro upgrade free for three months and after that it'll be only £5 more (£25 instead of £30). I've only just gone past 12 months with them.

I couldn't get any discount from them at all about 8 months ago.

Associate
Is there a website that shows which cabinet my property is connected to or a map of fibre cabinets in my area? I have a feeling the one I am connected to it is not close (over 1KM) from my stats:
Sky Fibre (Non Pro)
Connection speed:
Downstream: 20004Kbps Upstream: 3821Kbps
Line Attenuation: 27.5 dB
Noise Margin: 6.3db Downstream 6.6 Upstream

I wish I was getting closer to 38Mb, seeing as I am paying upto 38Mb.

Do the stats look correct if the cabinet is over 1KM away?

Edit: just over 1KM

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/cabinet-lookup.htm#fttc_cab_info

Thanks

Andrew

Last edited:
Soldato

trust me I've tried - 3 times over the last 3 months on chat and 2 calls to them - all saying no change/budge etc on £30 a month.

I'm out of contract so I would have expect they would have tried to offer me something but nope!

Looks like off to BT as it's £440 a year cheaper (£20 a month cheaper for the 52/10 package - plus £100 cashback and £100 pre-paid card) - Ok so I drop slightly from 55/15 to 52/10 but for the amount of uploading I do it's no great lose.

Caporegime
Someone at work mentioned a new Fibre pack Sky will be launching next week but I have no clue as to what it might be. Some have said a 'rebrand' of an existing package,mothers have suggested something new. All will be revealed a week today apparently.

Soldato
Someone at work mentioned a new Fibre pack Sky will be launching next week but I have no clue as to what it might be. Some have said a 'rebrand' of an existing package,mothers have suggested something new. All will be revealed a week today apparently.

ok - good to know. I'll hang on for a week before deciding. If they are rebranding the fibre up to 40 to match BT's up to 52. I might decide to stay!

Soldato
ok - good to know. I'll hang on for a week before deciding. If they are rebranding the fibre up to 40 to match BT's up to 52. I might decide to stay!

Could be, ISP's need to change their pricing policy / wording soon to make the line rental price more transparent so could be something to do with that.

I'm looking to switch to Sky but due to my setup I don't want to use the Sky router. I have a BT modem and Asus-AC68U so should be alright following the guides but would be interested to hear from people that have done it if it affects stability at all.

Plus any issues using a VPN with Sky?

Soldato
x2 no issues.

You can use your own router using various guides online - I had no issues using asus/draytek routers over the years with sky adsl/fibre.

However I now use the sky router and shut off the wifi, and a Unifi AC-LR for my wireless.

That's good to hear, my setup is a bit odd in that I use passthrough adaptors between the modem and router so I can have the router in a more convenient location without running cable through the walls.

Works fine with my current setup but will need it so the Sky router only sends a signal to the routers cable port and does none of the home network routing as the passthrough adaptors aren't quick enough.

Associate
The speeds you are getting for the attenuation you have looks about right (maybe could get a few more mbps on the downstream but no more than say 5) and the attenuation looks about spot on for a 1km line.

Thanks for the reply. I used to get 80/20 at my old house, never missed a beat. I miss that speed :)

Back
Top Bottom