• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Another Round of Price Increases ?

OcUK Staff
I see that the Zotac 1070 FE is back up extra £21. Is this due to falling currency rate?

No its because it came of special offer we were running. :)

It still cheaper than anywhere else in the UK.

I shall do more future offers on it and this week only is refreshed tomorrow so the current deals will go back up, not because of exchange rate but because the deals get refreshed on Wednesdays.

Caporegime
I hope so pound falling is good for UK businesses, dollar parity is the dream. You have to pay more for your graphics cards to waste your time playing games boohoo

Why is that the dream? That makes every import, including oil/petrol a lot more expensive.

As a net importer (£15.9 Billion more than we export), dollar parity would be very bad for us.

Last edited:
Soldato
I hope so pound falling is good for UK businesses, dollar parity is the dream. You have to pay more for your graphics cards to waste your time playing games boohoo

Good if you're exporting and your costs are all local (i.e. you don't have to import steel or something). Bad in a lot of other ways. Especially for cost of living. Britain makes little of the things British people buy and a lot of what we eat is foreign too. Successive governments have undermined UK manufacturing decade after decade. Power is expensive too, because of government's favouritism to wind farms. So some winners, a lot of losers.

Also credit dries up which is needed for starting new businesses or sustaining existing businesses through weak spots. The UK has a national debt of around £1trn and around a third of that is foreign owned. That isn't going to be repayable in pounds. And the worth of UK government bonds falls sharply which means we have less ability to finance things.

Lets be clear what a falling pound represents - it falls because people have less faith in the British economy. That's what it represents. Now you can armchair post and think you know more than everyone else, but clearly the majority opinion is that Britain is taking a turn for the worse because they now wont give us as much for our currency. That's what a falling pound means.

So sure, you can say you hope the pound falls further because you think people having less leisure will increase the amount of time they waste when they could be working, but the price of some exporters being able to make more money is a general rise in the cost of living for all. Graphics cards are just a very visible part of that because the margins are small and the turn-over is fast.

Caporegime

The dream? Rubbish. It increases our comparative cost of living.

You think it is just graphics cards that we are "boohooing" about? We will have to pay more for EVERYTHING where it is imported.

Anyway this is off topic but your comment that dollar / sterling parity is "the dream" is laughable.

Our weakening currency is because the world markets predict our economy will weaken.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
As present stocks are sold and if the £ keeps on falling will we see an eventual price hike across the whole GPU spectrum?

Soldato
Oh well, just means we go longer between upgrades. It's not like technology is advancing anywhere near as it used to be anyway.

Soldato
Yea and have to buy overpriced games instead, plus pay a subscription to play multiplayer :p

It doesn't work out cheaper in the long run.

Caporegime
No its because it came of special offer we were running. :)

It still cheaper than anywhere else in the UK.

I shall do more future offers on it and this week only is refreshed tomorrow so the current deals will go back up, not because of exchange rate but because the deals get refreshed on Wednesdays.

someone is doing the palit with same game offer for £349 ;)

Soldato
Well yes but then you start getting into what is relative to wages etc but in terms of the set pricing, we are getting basically the USD price converted plus VAT. At the moment the US price looks cheaper than ours relative to wages because our currency is doing so badly.

I think people are really overthinking it. The MSRP of these cards are set by NVidia in USD. We pay the USD RRP divided by our conversion rate + 20% VAT + some small shipping costs.

Our currency is currently at it's lowest against the dollar for 31 years and will likely go even lower next year when brexit discussions start and article 50 is invoked. I fear we may even see prices in GBP HIGHER than the USD MSRP :(

Gibbo has already tried to explain this to everyone on here countless times but it falls on deaf ears.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=30031185&postcount=180
I get it. And I'm not overthinking it at all. I'm disputing the idea that it's not cheaper in the US - because it is. Listing the reasons why it's cheaper doesn't make it 'not cheaper'.

I'm not saying we're getting ripped off here, just that if you were in the US, you could buy these products cheaper. I fully understand WHY it's more expensive here at the moment. And it sucks. Especially because it was a totally avoidable situation....

Soldato
Not really. A price hike in water, food or shelter could be interpreted as one having 'being had by the balls' but for an unnecessary consumable?

Get a grip.
People's hobbies are a major part of their lives. Just because they aren't an absolute necessity for survival doesn't mean they aren't important.

Caporegime
I get it. And I'm not overthinking it at all. I'm disputing the idea that it's not cheaper in the US - because it is. Listing the reasons why it's cheaper doesn't make it 'not cheaper'.

I'm not saying we're getting ripped off here, just that if you were in the US, you could buy these products cheaper. I fully understand WHY it's more expensive here at the moment. And it sucks. Especially because it was a totally avoidable situation....

Hey you are the one who waded in on my comment replying to someone else saying "Yet parts are a lot cheaper in the US, so how does that work :/" :p

I was trying to explain why, and how they aren't technically "cheaper", they just appear cheaper in the USA now in comparison, because our currency is faltering.

OcUK Staff
someone is doing the palit with same game offer for £349 ;)

The Palit is crap, we sold a lot of them as the deal was good but the return rate on those cards is through the roof. Hence why we no longer promote it.

Some statistics:

KFA 1070 Blower: 721 sold, 1.91% return rate of which 45.45% were faulty, 45.45% were unwanted and 9.09% were courier damaged.

Palit 1070 Dual: 200 sold, 11% return rate of which 72.73% were faulty, 27.27% were unwanted and 0% were courier damaged.

The return rate on the Palit Dual is damn right shocking, I sell all the cards but it is clear Palit have made a cost cutting excercise on that product, it is our highest return rate 1070. As such I can no longer recommend this product. The other Palit cards have much lower return rate and we do recommend those as the Jetstream and Gamerock cooler is fantastic.

I do not mind sharing such information as it is truthful and we have the data and statistics to back it fully up should the manufacturer want to question it. :)

The KFA Blower 1070 is function over form, the card is fantastic value but even better it is a reliable product.

P.S. Our service is better, our forums are better and we share such data with our members, do our competitors do this. No so surely you'd always shop with OcUK when prices are the same elsewhere? :)

Associate
The Palit is crap, we sold a lot of them as the deal was good but the return rate on those cards is through the roof. Hence why we no longer promote it.

Some statistics:

KFA 1070 Blower: 721 sold, 1.91% return rate of which 45.45% were faulty, 45.45% were unwanted and 9.09% were courier damaged.

Palit 1070 Dual: 200 sold, 11% return rate of which 72.73% were faulty, 27.27% were unwanted and 0% were courier damaged.

The return rate on the Palit Dual is damn right shocking, I sell all the cards but it is clear Palit have made a cost cutting excercise on that product, it is our highest return rate 1070. As such I can no longer recommend this product. The other Palit cards have much lower return rate and we do recommend those as the Jetstream and Gamerock cooler is fantastic.

I do not mind sharing such information as it is truthful and we have the data and statistics to back it fully up should the manufacturer want to question it. :)

The KFA Blower 1070 is function over form, the card is fantastic value but even better it is a reliable product.

P.S. Our service is better, our forums are better and we share such data with our members, do our competitors do this. No so surely you'd always shop with OcUK when prices are the same elsewhere? :)

I saw "The Palit is crap" and was shocked, until I saw further down your comments about the Jetstream, I bought one of those recently and can say it is a very good card so far, even though I have only had it a short time.
I cannot hear the fans at all, it has colour lighting codes for its temperatures and I have only had it just off green for cool so far when turning BF4s resolution scale settings up to 200% to test it, so far very pleased

Back
Top Bottom