• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA Adds Telemetry to Latest Drivers; Here's How to Disable It

Soldato
This sort of thing is standard practice unfortunately, AMD's privacy policy is just as bad as is Intels.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/who-we-are/privacy

http://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/privacy/intel-privacy-notice.html

It is the sort of thing that if you use any modern services, even web browsers, social media or mobile phones you have to live with or become a paranoid tin hat wearing conspiracy nut.

Except the AMD link you posted is about their website, not the drivers package. Try harder ;)

V F

V F

Soldato
Heads up for anyone that cares about this stuff.. Me personally I think its a disgrace. Why should they share your personal information? end of the day all you want is the driver software to work on a product you spent cash on "ALREADY"

:mad: Ness

Only pointing out... Your ISP/phone provider is any different? They all sell on the details.

Man of Honour
ISP doesn't have a direct connection to your desktop and a phone is a bit different - not sure why so many people are just passively accepting it but I guess its like Windows 10 and they can't visualise the problem or the potential dangers until it affects them directly.

bru

bru

Soldato
Except the AMD link you posted is about their website, not the drivers package. Try harder ;)

We collect several kinds of information from you, depending on the part of the Site being visited. For example, We collect personal information from you when you register for a forum or newsletter, download products such as drivers, register products with Us, create a user name and password, provide feedback, send email enquiries or participate in another part of the Site.

You were saying. :confused:

V F

V F

Soldato
Passively accepting it? What are you going to do about it... Protest and march outside NVIDIA's headquarters?

bru

bru

Soldato
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it is a god thing, I am just saying it is standard practice. Most companies do this sort of thing and this thread seems to singling out NVidia, as if they are the only ones who do it.

Soldato

Learn to comprehend. They get info about what drivers/software is downloaded from their site like any other website . There is no actual telemetry in the drivers, unless you can provide evidence of that. Why try to deflect from the issue at hand. A software which is installed (Nvidia GFE) has telemetry and that is not in any way related to a website which you visit.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Some times I wonder if some stick their tongue out when a load gets dropped.:p

That is just site monitoring LOL
Sure AMD will monitor what drivers are getting downloaded, What version of Windows for example is more people download them for.

We collect several kinds of information from you, depending on the part of the Site being visited. For example,

We collect personal information from you when you register for a forum or newsletter - So they know my Email address and password I used to Register nothing out the norm there.

download products such as drivers, register products with Us - Just normal monitoring of products and services

create a user name and password, provide feedback, send email enquiries or participate in another part of the Site.

Nothing out the norm there either.

Now lets look at the difference with Nvidia!

The software is sitting there on your PC monitoring and sending information without you even knowing about it LOL How is me going onto a AMD site once to download a driver worst? When you have these Geforce always running!!!

Read the Reddit, it monitors and sends information on Websites and system information

According to the article
a detailed description of your hardware is sent a few minutes later to gfe.nvidia.com/getsugar. This description includes: brand and model of your motherboard, serial number, BIOS version, information regarding USB drives currently plugged, RAM capacity, GPU frequency, etc....
GeForce Experience will communicate the software you use (not only games), when you use it, for how long...
record where you click on the various utilities provided and how long you stay on each page. Almost 100Ko of information, along with Google trackers, are sent to Nvidia.
This is clearly a breach of your privacy. Nvidia's privacy policy does not mention these activities in the French version, only in the English one.

(1) Identifying what games you play and what hardware you use, and then positioning themselves as the advertising middle-man for targeted ads inserted into the GeForce experience. They might be planning an F2P ad-sponsored gaming platform, which they can sell to both game developers ("you have an ARPG; we can deliver 100,000 players who regularly play those games") or for advertisers ("we can insert your ad into the games of 100,000 players").
(2) Monitoring your activities in great detail, selling that information outright to game developers ("we can give you extremely detailed information, even including Facebook data, about the types of people who play the game you're offering or planning to develop").
(3) Monitoring user data, and then using that data as competitive leverage ("collectively, GeForce 1080 users spent 1,000,000 hours on your game last month - if you want your future games to be well-positioned for our user base, you'll incorporate Nvidia-specific marketing or technical features and refrain from supporting AMD...")(1) Identifying what games you play and what hardware you use, and then positioning themselves as the advertising middle-man for targeted ads inserted into the GeForce experience. They might be planning an F2P ad-sponsored gaming platform, which they can sell to both game developers ("you have an ARPG; we can deliver 100,000 players who regularly play those games") or for advertisers ("we can insert your ad into the games of 100,000 players").
(2) Monitoring your activities in great detail, selling that information outright to game developers ("we can give you extremely detailed information, even including Facebook data, about the types of people who play the game you're offering or planning to develop").
(3) Monitoring user data, and then using that data as competitive leverage ("collectively, GeForce 1080 users spent 1,000,000 hours on your game last month - if you want your future games to be well-positioned for our user base, you'll incorporate Nvidia-specific marketing or technical features and refrain from supporting AMD...")

Permabanned
nVidia are taking way too many liberties with their customers.

I don't get why people expect anything less?

Too many people jump on the latest and greatest hardware they offer regardless of what they do letting them think they can do as they please. If they're not delaying the move to newer techs or nerfing the competitions performance through in-house software kits they're coming up with ways to elevate the prices of the gpu's simply because they can, Nvidia is a business company and it's in the business of making money so if you want them too stop taking the Mickey let your wallets do the talking.

Last edited:
Soldato

Too many people jump on the latest and greatest hardware they offer regardless of what they do letting them think they do as they please. If they're not delaying the move to newer techs or nerfing the competitions performance through in-house software kits they're coming up with ways to elevate the prices of the gpu's simply because they can, Nvidia is a business company and it's in the business of making money so if you want them too stop taking the Mickey let your wallets do the talking.

Maybe one day a company will emerge to offer some competition and they cannot do such things but alas they remain unchallenged :(

V F

V F

Soldato
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it is a god thing, I am just saying it is standard practice. Most companies do this sort of thing and this thread seems to singling out NVidia, as if they are the only ones who do it.

Thing is the way some go on about it they act like it is a disgraceful shock. I'd bet the same people or most out there complaining about this at the same time you can profile a person from all their stuff on Facebook/Twitter/instagram...

Too many people jump on the latest and greatest hardware they offer regardless of what they do letting them think they do as they please. If they're not delaying the move to newer techs or nerfing the competitions performance through in-house software kits they're coming up with ways to elevate the prices of the gpu's simply because they can, Nvidia is a business company and it's in the business of making money so if you want them too stop taking the Mickey let your wallets do the talking.

Most people are full of manure though. Football fans are the perfect example.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just disabled those services, I do use GFE though for SHIELD game streaming.

Been a bit annoyed about the last big update with GFE due to it pushing facebook logins, ads on the driver page and making it harder to turn certain features off.

Starting to feel like I'm the only one that has no interest in recording / sharing my game play and if anything just see these services as opening new security / privacy vunerabilities in the OS.

Associate
Pretty unethical of Nvidia. I've done the Autoruns method of disabling it, hopefully it won't be a regular thing to have to re-enable.

I know data is big money, but as a user of Facebook and so on I choose to let them use my details, I'm not stupid, I know they do. But to have such snooping essentially built into my hardware is just wrong.

Shame AMD don't make anything competitive right now for me to replace my 980, this is the sort of thing which would persuade me to not repeat my business with Nvidia.

Soldato
Just disabled those services, I do use GFE though for SHIELD game streaming.

Been a bit annoyed about the last big update with GFE due to it pushing facebook logins, ads on the driver page and making it harder to turn certain features off.

Starting to feel like I'm the only one that has no interest in recording / sharing my game play and if anything just see these services as opening new security / privacy vunerabilities in the OS.

I wonder if we'll have to go through the hassle of disabling these 'features' every single time we install new drivers :(

HURRY UP VEGA! AND BE AT LEAST 1080 PERFORMANCE!

Soldato
Pretty unethical of Nvidia. I've done the Autoruns method of disabling it, hopefully it won't be a regular thing to have to re-enable.

I know data is big money, but as a user of Facebook and so on I choose to let them use my details, I'm not stupid, I know they do. But to have such snooping essentially built into my hardware is just wrong.

Shame AMD don't make anything competitive right now for me to replace my 980, this is the sort of thing which would persuade me to not repeat my business with Nvidia.

Pretty much that, really. Disappointing.

Soldato
Bet shanks has been slapping the ham for hours over this , being able to take so many digs at nvidia from his high horse.

This is all pretty normal, practically every service collects data, really nothing to see here.

Back
Top Bottom