Poll: XenForo

Should the new forum feature a "like" system? (note: this is like only, not dislike)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
If you feel strongly against it, please leave some comments so we can review them.

Hell no, this isn't facebook or reddit.

If you add this feature it's just going to be a way for the various kliqs on here to pat each other on the back and visually gang up on other posters.

Last edited:
Soldato
I like that it removes the point of +1 posts, but the downside is the way it potentially helps bad arguments to steamroll good ones with a lazy click of support.

I think it better that you show your support for a position by arguing it yourself, or at least putting your name to an agreement, rather than just be a 'like' statistic.

Soldato
I don't personally see the point of a like button. The forums work very well as they are, facelift will be nice and some extra features but not a like button.

Man of Honour
I'm personally not a fan of "Like" buttons. 2 main reasons:

• It discourages a more thought out response (or a response at all) and may therefore stifle discussion
  • People will moan about people not liking their posts for various reasons (and the clique thing has some substance to it, potentially)
Very interesting times ahead either way though.

Man of Honour
I'm personally not a fan of "Like" buttons. 2 main reasons:

• It discourages a more thought out response (or a response at all) and may therefore stifle discussion
  • People will moan about people not liking their posts for various reasons (and the clique thing has some substance to it, potentially)
Very interesting times ahead either way though.

People who aren't going to post a well thought out post, won't do that regardless of the availability of absence of a like button. They are two very different demographics.

I personally think a like button is a good way to get visibility of quality posts where otherwise they wouldn't be recognised.

Commissario
OP
People who aren't going to post a well thought out post, won't do that regardless of the availability of absence of a like button. They are two very different demographics.

I personally think a like button is a good way to get visibility of quality posts where otherwise they wouldn't be recognised.

I'm really not fussed, if people don't like the function then don't use it.

Soldato

That's how they work in theory.

The reality is that they are used so that people can express that they like the person making the post more than the person they are discussing/debating with. It's basically a popularity tool thing.

Soldato
like buttons generally reward quips and humour over content in my experience but i don't care

A thanks button in the hardware sections may be more appropriate as there are some helpful people around.

Associate
I don't really understand the point, and feel it would lower contributions to posts in favour of "likes".

I'd rather see "dislikes".

I wouldn't use either mind.

Whens the new forum going live?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom