an easy way to share

Soldato
ive been looking at the "netgear SC101" and have been thinkign

1 is it worth it for its money ...
2 simple to set up i know its netgear so itl work with netgear ......?
3 *** i be able to actualy access it from college say by direct link or not ???

but to me it seems expensice buying that then another 160 gig drive on top

so would say a Freecom Classic SL 160GB Ethernet & USB 2.0 External Hard Drive be a better bet or not ????

Soldato
i dont think it work via remote access, its a local network storage.
i think im right in saying you have to access it via netgears software aswell? it isnt just a shared drive available to everybody?

Soldato
I've got an SC101 and I'm glad that I didn't pay for it.

Like sja360 said, you need to have the Netgear software on each PC that will access the drive.

A few problems I've found with mine:

- The drives spin down after 10 minutes and there is no way to control it. I hacked together a VB script that writes a small file to the drive every 9 minutes to keep the SC101 awake.

- If you try to empty the recyclebin whilst the drives aren't spinning, you have to wait for them to start up. If you've got 2 drives in the SC101 be prepared for a wait that'll soon get annoying.

- Same goes for Add/Remove programs.

- Ditto for shutting down/restarting your PC.

- Netgear software likes to connect to the internet each time you open it to check for new firmware/software. There is no way to control this behaviour other than to say 'No' each time you open the software. I'd rather be able to turn it off completely then check myself periodically.

- The biggest problem for me is the lack of Linux support. I have to share the SC101 from a Windows machine then mount the shared drive over SMB from the Linux machine.

- Data throughout isn't fantastic especially if you have the drives in the SC101 mirrored.

In short - stay clear.

Have a look at a Buffalo Terastation instead.

Soldato
The SC101 also makes use of block level transfers unlike similar counterparts within the same price bracket, allowing mutiple users to access more files at once.

By the sounds of it though youd be better off with a simply USB external harddrive or even a USB pendrive, i wouldnt of thought youd have 160Gb of college work.

Personally i would stick with a Pen drive, mainly for portability, each of use and cost, youll get a 2Gb at present for less ~ £50 if you shop arround.

Soldato
OP
Curiosityx said:
By the sounds of it though youd be better off with a simply USB external harddrive or even a USB pendrive, i wouldnt of thought youd have 160Gb of college work.

nah the acces frm college part was to be able to either watch my videos that ive recorded or listen to music so i didnt have to carry everything around with me......

however the main point is to just be able to share all my stuff and the rest of the people i live with there work etc without having my pc on or going heres the stik stik the stuff on .... urh tiresome aftre a while ty tho !!!!!

think the terra station is a bit outa my price range lol .....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom