Project Red Alert - IMG heavy

Associate
With the inspiration of similar recent project I've decided to turn this old case I had lying around...

Dscf0080.jpg

Into an overclocked Red monster of doom. Naturally on a budget although the budget's a bit higher than other recent examples of about £400 it's still fun and hopefully you guys will enjoy it too :).

Mobo and PSU fitted, Mobo is the Abit AN8 Fatality although won't be using the Nguru module as it's the wrong colour and not practical to respray.

Dscf0081.jpg

CPU, 3500+ Venice cored with a Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro CPU Cooler. Since buying it I understand this cooler might struggle beyond 2.5ghz - we'll see. As you can see it's got help from 2 80mm fans plus the 2 fans on the mobo ( covered by the black shroud ). I'll also be adding a blowhole and 80mm fan just as soon as I can work out where.

Dscf0082.jpg

Last edited:
Once I'd done that it was time to paint the panels - here they are in primer awaiting the gloss coats. Using normal car aerosol spray paints, in this case a metalic peugeut red. Chose red as black is too normal :).

Dscf0083.jpg

and finally the case all together in red lovelyness. This is a bit of a trial fit as the side panel hasn't been laquered yet but gives a good idea of the final look.

Dscf0085.jpg

Final spec will hopefulyl be :-

1gb Gskill ZX
SLI'd 6600's cooled by Zalman's.
Athlon 64 3500+ Venice cooled by Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro

HDD is an old 10gig which wil in the future be replaced by something else.

CD-Rom is an old one I had lying around, not even sure if it works.

Everythign will be clocked as high as I can stabely manage :).

Last edited:
looks cool, if i were you once you have lacuered it mask up some of those lower swooshy bits on the front and do them black also make a template for the buttons and do them black too, that would look ace.

m3csl2004 said:
:D

deffo want some serious cathodes and fans in there, get it lookin mean, than you want......water cooling with red uv additive :cool:

Hehe Oooo now you mention it that could be a fun future addition. Especially with that red mobo :)

Looks good, you shouldnt have a problem with the arctic freezer past 2.5ghz. I run my 3200+ @ 2.5ghz but with fairly high voltage (1.55v) and it is 40c load. Should be fine upto 1.6v and ~2.8ghz

Exciting stuff, the color's pretty shocking. :eek: Cut a few windows into the side panel and it'll look perfect. :p Good luck with it. I have high expectations for this project. ;)

i think you should have a window with dark paint moving out to the bright red so its like dark around the window and light outsdie, am i babbling?

Thanks for the support :)

I remembered an unusued Tagan 430W modular I had so that's been swapped for the Antec. Neater insides now :) - but tighter behind the CD-Rom :(.

Just waiting for the 6600's to arrive then I can start work on the next stage :).

Plan on benchmarking with a single 6600 and default clocked 3500+. Then working on the CPU. Then SLI, then overclocking the graphics.

Not got any expectations out of the 6600 ( although they are being sold as overclocked ) - don't really know anything about them at all so any tips on that front would be appreciated. I just know they are SLIable and have run in SLI mode.

Update time :)

The twin 6600's havn't arrived yet but I recently took advantage of the cheap X1800XT's so I've setup Red Alert with my old X800GTO2. Managed to get the layout pretty neat and tidy.

So the spec is currently :-

Venice 3500 cooled buy the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro
X800GTO2 cooled buy a Arctic Cooling ATI 4 (X800 Series) VGA Silencer
G.Skill 1GB DDR ZX PC3200 (2x512MB) CAS2 Dual Channel Kit

DSCF0087.JPG

After Installing Win2K and the various tools needed to test her I setup to work overclocking her.

Currently at the time of writing she is running prime95 with the following :-

230FSB at a voltage of 1.45 - 2.530 Ghz
Memory I've slackend off to (assuming I changed the right values) CL 2.5-4-4-8 and upped the volts 1 notch to 2.65.
Graphics running at 494/594 for now.

Benchmarks will be when I'm happy she's stable :)

As said earlier I am aiming for 2.6Ghz so 236fsb

Back
Top Bottom