VOoDOo Media

Associate
Hello all, this is ReU_VOoDOo posting his latest mod log

I have already finished this mod "VOoDOo Media" which is my second project to date, but I only posted the progress on my clan's (www.sfuclan.net) website. I realized that I left a few friends out of the loop and wanted to correct this by posting here so lets get started shall we?

First off is to show you what my case looked like before it got "VOoDOoized" as my clan mates say.

newpro1-1.png

This is a mid tower made by acer which is just a generic dell if you ask me!

Now its time to show you the new parts

cm221.png

G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333

cm21.png

ASUS P5G41T-M/CSM LGA 775 Intel G41 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

cm22.png

ASUS Internal Blu-ray Burner Blu-ray Burner BW-12B1LT LightScribe Support - OEM

cm220.png

G.skill 60GB Sniper series SSD 285MBps senquential write

cm222.png

cm223.png

3 Gelid 120mm fans, low noise 85cfm nano-flux bearing fans

cm227.png

also my Scythe Kaze fan controller, that I forgot to take a pic of before I painted it!

cm218.png

Made up a drawing in AutoCAD of my Gamertag font and sent it to Mountian Mods to have them Laser cut it and stick uv active acrylic behing the cutout

cm217.png

cm224.png

And here are all the parts together

Those were the only new parts, the rest was reused stuff I had around.

Intel Core2Duo E4400 2.0GHz @ 2.4GHz
2x 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black HDD's 7,200rpm
Antec Earthwatts 550w PSU
XFX Nvidia 9800GT (being replaced by a HD 5870)

So, lets get to modding!!!

First of all I couldnt have any of that computer gray metal showing its face in my pc, so I began to paint the small stuff with a paint called Krylon fusion which is made for plastics and needs no primer, so all that was needed was a quick sand.

cm25.png

Like the Blu-Ray burner, and as you have already seen the fan controller

Had a little extra sleeve left over from my last build, so I used it on the big ugly wires

cm20.png

Next up was painting the case it self

cm24.png

cm29.png

There was a little work that I had to do prior to painting the chasis
I had to cut the HDD rack so that i could accept larger video cards in the future (Hopefully near future!)

cm26.png

Next up was the cooling situationI knew I had to have an efficient cooling system because this computer will be in closed in a cabinet.
So I got one of these from work

cm27.png

lol just kidding!!! The side of my case WAS flat and I couldnt tuck fans on the inside of the panel because it would interfere with my gfx card. So I decided, bieng a sheet metal worker and all, to build a fan pan that protruded from the panel to accept 2 of my 120mm Gelid fans.
So heres where I started from with my layout/blockout

WP_000216-1.jpg

cm211.png

bending 45's

cm212.png

spot welding

Once Cut the excess at the shear, bent my 45's, and spot welded it together, it was time to cut out the middle section that would house the fans. I did it the old fasioned way with hand snips (sheet metal scissors) You have to cut out as much excess to be able to get straight cuts.

cm213.png

looks crazy right

cm214.jpg

and thats what you get!!

Now it was time to fasten my new fan pan to my side panel. I cut a hole in the panel as big as the fans to direct airflow. Then I spot welded that to the panel.

cm215.png

cm216.png

Once that was complete I realized I wanted to hide the edges of the fan pan, so I went and got some bondo (metal filler) and applied it to the edges. After it was dry I sanded that down to make it look like it was all one piece.

cm226.png

I didnt take any pictures of the panel after painting because I was getting all giddy and ready to see this thing assembled. So I started assembly, sorry!

DSCN0265.jpg

I really like how the blue background made it look like my mobo and parts were floating on water!!

DSCN0262.jpg

DSCN0273.jpg

cm231.png

here it is lit up somewhat

With out futher ado, here is "VOoDOo Media" lights off

DSCN0246.jpg

DSCN0247.jpg

DSCN0251.jpg

DSCN0256.jpg

DSCN0258.jpg

Here she is with the lights on

cm230.png

cm233.png

cm229.png

cm232.png

cm228.png

That other crazy pc there is my first attempt at modding the antec skeleton, I will post some pics and specs if anyone is interested.

I couldnt help it!! here is one pic of the skelly
hd58701.png

This is where VOoDOo Media will be calling home, and doing her main job MOVIE TIME!!!

cm235.png

cm234.png

I also wanted VOoDOo Media to be able to play games in my theater so it needed a GFX upgrade

Here is the Sapphire HD 5870 2GB eyeinfinity edition before VOoDOoization
587025.png

And after VOoDOoization

d58702.png

hd58704.png

hd58703.png

I havent had a chance to put the new card in yet, having too much fun with crossfire in the VOoDOo Antec Skeleton

Too much light coming off those side fans imho, would detract from watching full metal jacket... other than that, I think it looks pretty good :) considering what you started with! Best those Asus cases have ever looked if you ask me!! lol

nice job, its so much better when someone mods a "****" case to make it look good rather than just buy the top cases and fit generic components in them (though that can look good to), post up some pics of your skeleton i would be interested in seeing it.

@EnIgMa- you are totally right what I have done to mask the light some, is I have a wireless dinovo edge key board that charges in a base standing up and I put that running along side the case. It reflects the light around the cabinet so its just a blue glow coming out of there. When I get home I will post a pic of it

@Sayso- your in luck! I originally started my mod log of the antwc skeleton here because I got my inspiration for that case from the famous G-Dubs! Just search for "VOoDOo anyec skeleton mod" I will also post the link when I get home. My windows 7 phone doesn't copy and paste );

Last edited:
Nice work voodoo i read threw you skeleton work log a while ago. This is a very good use for a old rig tho. I like the look of your custom front bay and fan shroud/duct thing.

@alex2k10- Thanks! I had to do something with it, because I just felt that I could game better on my smaller monitor, versus the behemoth in the living room. Thanks for checking out my builds, I think the next one is going to be a full custom case!

@Marvin- Thank you!

stear's and queers come from texas !

and you dont look like a steer voodoo !

lol...classic and utter brilliant film.

lovely build dude.

@Schizo- SO you checked my profile huh? Yea Im not a longhorn fan, I am one of the many Aggies stuck in Austin! Doh! Thank you.

@Gepetto- The pic of them sitting side by side is my favorite too, and yes I do like blue! As for the lighting, the ceiling bulb is a high output flouresent daylight shade bulb and I have a 24" tube flouresent about 2 feet above my desk just for the pics. Thanks for looking

@domthecondom-Thank you sir

******* love this mod voodoo :D

Thanks mate good luck on your skeleton!!!

^ I somehow ended up on that pic and thought it was your computer :p.

Fantastic modding skills you've got there!! You've made that case look epicly hardcore. What paint do you use on the gpu chassis?

Thanks Joxang, im a big fan of your mods aswell!! I used Krylon Fusion (Gloss Black) to spray the internals and panels, its good on plastics and metal

how much did it cost to get the 5.25" bay cover done?

$20.00 USD, But now I work at a shop that has a waterjet, so I can do it free now!!! wHOOp! Heres a trailer hitch cover I did with my grandpa's cattle brand on it for my family. Did this on the waterjet, since then I put a piece of copper in between to set it off some, ill post a pic later if you want

000_0242-1.jpg

Last edited:
That would be a wise choice, don't forget to get Corel draw, while you at it. Then you just write whatever with your chosen font, convert to curves, import into AutoCAD and its ready to be cut by a water or LaserJet. Very simple stuff

Back
Top Bottom