Whoo, bought a credit crunch flat with a difference

Soldato
So I finally sold my place in Prague and bought a Flat just outside Chesterfield, a developer (really nice honest sounding chap) has build an nice apartment block and due to the crash he has had problems selling the apartments (priced 300 to 500k).
He did not finish the internal construction on the penthouse so I bought the space at a knocked down rate.

Now unfortunately I can’t get a mortgage on it until it’s complete because it’s a new build apartment that is classed as non habitable at the moment. So I basically will have to sell everything I own to buy it, I have not quite worked out how I am going to pay for the renovation but we will cross that bridge when we get to it.

So this is the floor plan we plan to use.
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab283/nastytooth/ph.jpg

Now to the interesting bit, the gadgets!

This is what I have planned:
Central air con (I will do the ducting now and buy the unit when we can afford it)
Central Vacuum cleaner
A Couple of runs of Cat6 to every room going from the server room
HDMI cables to each point where I plan to put a TV
6000sq ft under floor heating using a air source heat pump (flat comes with the pump)
CCTV in the hallway
lutron grafik eye lighting system for the living room.

So are there any other cool systems or anything else I should think about integrating? I have given myself 14 months to finish the project but chances are if I can get some funding sorted it will only take 4 months.

I am only going to do 1 bathroom now and the rest when we can afford it. This will be our family home and I don't think we will move for a VERY long time so I want to get it right.

Pics on page 3

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Integrated speaker systems in some of the rooms maybe? Always wanted one in my bathroom.

I will put the cables in now. I cant afford the system yet.

Also, what exactly is a central vacuum cleaner? :/

http://www.beamvac.co.uk/

Nice! Shame it's in Chesterfield.... :p

lol, well its close to the Surgery my partner will be running but I was told its a nice part of town.

Blimey, over 6,300 sq/ft is huge. Do you have any pictures?

Not yet but will get some over the weekend.

Its going to be a hard few years financially but I think its going to be worth it in the long run. I really have sold everything I own to fund this.

Soldato
I'm not sure if it would be feasible but once you've made it habitable could you remortgage(probably not the correct term in this case as you've not got a mortgage to start with) some of it to free up some cash

Soldato
I wouldn't bother with the central vacuum cleaner. It's a waste of money and you'd be restricted by pipe length in the same way you'd be restricted by a wire using the conventional cleaner. Also you'd still need to exchange the pipe outlets all the time.
My advice is lay redundant wires where you can. I.e. speaker wires, Cat6 etc. If you're struggling money wise perhaps tackle one bedroom at a time.

Back
Top Bottom