Lightsaber technology has been invented! Finally!

Soldato
Why?

Even if you create one it's still just a sword, a weapon that has been useless in warfare for nearly 1,000 years. Unless you live in Westeros I really don't see the advantage.

Caporegime
Photonic molecules?

Why is this in a telegraph...sounds really fishy.

If it is true, then what do we call it... a Photide? Photanoid?

Caporegime
Thing is they didn't even make a light saber, imo a light saber cuts limbs off perfectly.

Which you could likely do if you shaped the "photonic molecules"... in a straight line, how one does this without attractive qualities is beyond me however, i suppose they just shoot even more photons in succession?

I guess technically that would be called a molecular lash, which would be utterly stupid to have in society.

Fob

Fob

Associate
Looks like funding review is coming and they have squat.

I don't think there is any way to have light stop at a pre-determined point in space no matter how fancy the theory sounds.

Soldato
http://phys.org/news/2013-09-scientists-never-before-seen.html#ajTabs

The guy is even called Lukin. Whilst tenuous, that does kind of make me think of Luke Skywalker.

Don't understand though. I thought that quantum entanglement has long been an observed effect of two photons interacting.

And from the sounds of this, the photons aren't really a molecule, they just behave as a molecule when they emerge from the Rubidium because of, as the article puts it, the 'mediation of the Rubidium atoms'.

Sigh. Just another sensationalist stunt?

Back
Top Bottom