please help, PII 940 OC with nvidia 780a chipset

Associate
please help, PII 940 OC

Hi all, i've been trying to overclock my Phenom II 940 for the last week or so and have it running @ 3.5GHz using multi only but have hit a bit of a wall

i think the problem is i'm using a nvidia chipset and most other's are using amd chipsets and i'm not sure if voltage setting on amd boards are the same as nvidia and have no idea what stock volts are and max safe volts

@ 3.5GHz temps are about 50-53'c full load so temps are below the max 63'c but can't seam to get any higher, idle temps are about 33-36'c

i'm a little rusty when it comes to overclocking, the last time i had a really good overclock was an old athlon axia 1GHz @ 1.4GHz, i have overclocked most of my systems but nothing extreem 300-400 mhz tops (or 200MHz on my last system x2 6000)

i have had it running @ 3.6 & 3.7GHz but crashed on occt test :(, i'll post pic's of the bios screens when i find my card reader if it helps

any help would be much apprecated

Last edited:
Associate
OP
i've found my card reader so here's some pic's, you'll notice i've been having a play with a few settings and now have my chip running @ 3.6GHz (1.4750v)occt stable (1 hour test)

anyway time for some pic's
SS100440.jpg

SS100441.jpg

SS100442.jpg

SS100443.jpg

SS100443.jpg

does anyone know what sort of clocks i can get out of my chip, i've seen a few people have had them running @ 3.8GHz + on air but mostly on amd chipsets in fact i can't remember any using nvidia chipset's

one strange thing going to 3.6GHz the load temps are a little lower when increace the nb to cpu voltage ???

Associate
OP
anyone got any ideas??? i'm pulling my hair out here :) i feel like i've wasted money on my board but didn't really have many options due to needing an sli board :(

Soldato
my using a amd chipset.

mine is at 3.7ghz 18.5x with 1.47v , htt at 2.4ghz, nb at 2.4ghz with 1.18v.

just remember u won't get the same result because every cpu is different..

Associate
its probably jus the limit of your cpu.
the P2's scale well with temps, so you might find if you get the temps down by a few degrees to say 45c you can get 3.7 stable with ~1.5V

Associate
OP
cool (no pun intended :D ) thanks guys hopefully my coolermaster HAF 932 will do the trick

one last question how do you get your htt & nb to 2.4ghz can i up the multi on that as well? as i said i'm a little rusty when it come's to overclocking, my last chip (x2 6000+) wouldn't go above 3.2GHz without the temp's going through the roof and i tried loads of things re-seating the cooler, new cooler (Xigmatek (or how ever you spell it :D) ) as5 ect, ect so didn't bother to much, it's one of the reasons for upgrading (lower temps and better OC's :cool:)

anyway thanks again guys

Last edited:
Soldato
one last question how do you get your htt & nb to 2.4ghz can i up the multi on that as well? as i said i'm a little rusty when it come's to overclocking, my last chip (x2 6000+) wouldn't go above 3.2GHz without the temp's going through the roof and i tried loads of things re-seating the cooler, new cooler (Xigmatek (or how ever you spell it :D) ) as5 ect, ect so didn't bother to much, it's one of the reasons for upgrading (lower temps and better OC's :cool:)

anyway thanks again guys
yeah u can up the multipler on the htt and nb. u may need to up the cpu-nb voltage alittle.

Back
Top Bottom