My quick, simple & effective Mini HTPC build!

Associate
Hey all,

Decided I wanted something small, low power with semi-decent performance for a new Mini HTPC for my living room, I didn't need a BluRay as I have a top model Sony unit that takes care of BluRay and DVD up-scaling etc. Anyway I fancied trying a Mini-ITX build based on one of the all in one APU's, I didn't want to use an Intel Atom board as I read these AMD Hudson all-in-one APU's are better so went for a Gigabyte GA-E350N-USB3 AMD Hudson Motherboard as it fitted the bill perfectly, spec is:

• AMD E-350 1.6ghz Dual-Core processor
  • Built in Radeon HD 6310 (DirectX 11) graphics
  • AMD Hudson-M1 FCH Chipset
  • Realtek HD Audio, 2/4/5.1/7.1-channel, Support for Dolby Home Theater
  • Realtek 10/100/1000 Mbit NIC
  • 4 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors
  • 8 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports
  • 2 x USB 3.0 ports

I also decided on using a Antec ISK100 case which comes with a 90w DC-DC PSU with external power brick, its an awesomely small case which runs almost silent with the 2-speed fan set to low, I did decide though that the front needed treating to a bit of Carbon Fibre wrap, if I didn't like it I could just rip it off but in the end I did like it so its staying for now ;)

Otherwise I have fitted 4GB of OCZ 1333 DDR3 memory and an older OCZ X32 Extreme Series SSD which is only 32GB but I only need this to boot into windows and everything else is accessible from the network, it gets around 180mb/s read speed which isn't bad for an older gen SSD and it boots Win 7 x64 nice and quick :)

Pictures are quite self explanatory and I done my best to keep the cable management neat, it runs pretty damn quick for a HTPC and happily plays back a 10GB full 1080p mkv using only around 25% of the systems resources while pulling around 16w from the wall :D

Anyway enjoy the pics and any comments are welcome I can take it lol :p

htpc1.jpg

htpc2.jpg

htpc3.jpg

htpc4.jpg

htpc5.jpg

htpc6.jpg

htpc7.jpg

htpc8.jpg

htpc9.jpg

htpc10.jpg

htpc11.jpg

htpc12.jpg

htpc13.jpg

htpc14.jpg

htpc15.jpg

htpc16.jpg

htpc17.jpg

htpc18.jpg

htpc20.jpg

htpc21.jpg

htpc22.jpg

htpc23.jpg

Associate
OP
Cheers guys, quick breakdown for me was:

Motherboard - £100
Antec ISK100 - £60
4GB OCZ 1333 - £30
SSD I already had, but a 60GB Agility3 would set you back - £72

All in all without an OS - £262 :)

Associate
OP
Quality.... have you thought about braiding any of the cables? That would look great I think.

I did think about putting some Braiding over the ATX & 12v power cables but I only had red sat about and as you cant really see them with the lid on I couldn't be bothered lol

What software frontend do you use, Media Center?

I don't at the moment to be honest, but I am looking into a good front end as we speak on the AVforums.com I think im going to try Media Center with a couple of nice plug-ins or give XBMC a go, will post some pics up of my findings if anyone is interested? :)

Associate
OP
how did you get the "carbon" effect front to fit so well>?

With a lot of messing about and swearing lol, nah just with a Black & Decker heat gun mate, I use decent 3M Di-Noc Carbon Fibre Effect Vinyl which is very strong and hard wearing, its quite thick and would never just be able to be wrapped around tight corners in its standard form without being heated up and manipulated with various tools! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom