Asus P5B Deluxe Problems

Associate
Hi there,

Don't know if this in the right place but I did have another thread in the general section.

Basicly I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem,

My PC will not POST with RAM in it but will give one long beep and two short if no RAM is in it.

I was thinking it's the RAM but if it was would it not still beep with a hardware failure?

Here's what happens:

PC will switch on for about a second, go off then stay off for around 5 secs then come back on. It will stay on with fans, HDD's etc going but will not beep or POST etc.

Have tried taking battery out, moving CMOS CLR jumper, leaving things overnight etc but nothing seems to be working.

Specs:

E6600
Asus P5B Deluxe
Cellshock 2GB RAM

The only other thing I can think of is that the BIOS is dead but then surely it wouldn't beep without RAM?

This has got me VERY confused!

I will just say that I have no access to any more DDR2 RAM to try in it.

Any help MORE than welcome!

Cheers!

Hi there,

I have removed the GFX card and replaced it again but still have no joy.

This is really annoying me now, I don't want to send bits back to OC'UK if they aren't faulty but I don't know what to do.

Questions:

Would it be the RAM? If the RAM was faulty would it not still beep etc giving me hardware error?

If the above is true then would it be the mobo? If it was the mobo why would it beep when the RAM is removed?

What happens if the BIOS is dead? If the BIOS was dead would it still beep when the RAM is removed?

Really sorry guys to keep asking annoying questions but I really don't get this! If something was gone and it needs sending back that's fine but I have been trying to figure this one out for 3-4 days!

Any help appreciated!

Cheers!

Edit: I just tried switching it on again and remembered something else that happens.

When I press the reset button it turns itself off for 5 secs then switches back on to just sit there and do nothing.

Last edited:
What ram do you have and is it at the correct voltage in the bios?

Give me a few mins and i will post pics of my bios settings.

Update the bios too using the eazy flash tool in the bios - i use 1215 and all is ok here.

Last edited:
Yar, I have Cellshock 2GB PC6400

I really don't think that it's the RAM that's dead but of course, it's guilty till proved innocent...

I can't even get past POST so getting into the BIOS to check voltages is impossible.

Im pretty sure that the voltage was either set at 2.15 or 2.25 so I really don't think that it is starved of voltage... but then again I have reset the BIOS so surely the voltages would be back to normal?

Cheers for replying guys!

Yar, I have Cellshock 2GB PC6400

I really don't think that it's the RAM that's dead but of course, it's guilty till proved innocent...

I can't even get past POST so getting into the BIOS to check voltages is impossible.

Im pretty sure that the voltage was either set at 2.15 or 2.25 so I really don't think that it is starved of voltage... but then again I have reset the BIOS so surely the voltages would be back to normal?

Cheers for replying guys!

Thanks - the 6400 bit helps - acording to the Cellshock website it runs at 2.1-2.1v so yea that should be fine.

here's my settings

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

hope they are some use to ya.

My PC will not POST with RAM in it but will give one long beep and two short if no RAM is in it.

I was thinking it's the RAM but if it was would it not still beep with a hardware failure?

Here's what happens:

PC will switch on for about a second, go off then stay off for around 5 secs then come back on. It will stay on with fans, HDD's etc going but will not beep or POST etc.
I had exactly the same problem as that, turned out to be a bad stick of RAM. :(

Cheers for all your help!

I only have one stick and have tried both at once and then each stick has been tried on it's own.

Unfortunatly I can't get to POST so can't run memtest and I don't have any other PC's that run DDR2:(

Those pics do help slightly, I had the FSB running at more (495 x 6) but CPU running slower.

I never put the RAm above 2.25 and I have a 120mm fan blowing over the mobo and RAM so I was ever worried about temps. It was all cool or warm to the touch.

Would there be any way that both sticks would have just died?

And again, if the RAM was bad would it not still post and moan or at least beep at me telling me it's broken?

Cheers again guys!

Edit: I did forget to mention that I lowered the O/C to 345 FSB and multi to 8 because, as I brought the PC out of hibernation in Vista, the network adapter had stopped working. I reset the PC and it did this exact thing (which it normally does when the O/C is to high) so I lowered it.

Just so you all know the 495 FSB O/C had been stable on Orthos and had been running it for around 3 weeks.

Cheers again!

Last edited:
Yes it should beep if theres no ram installed or a ram fault.

Looks like you need to get a stick of ram to try, or try yours in another machine.
You dont hear of Cellshock ram failing that often but i suppose its possibe.

The 5 second reboot thing is common with 965 boards.

Do you have any idea what bios is on it? - have you ever updated it?

Try and take out or unplug everything thats not needed and try and boot with the bare essentials ie cpu, gfx and 1 stick of ram.

Yes it should beep if theres no ram installed or a ram fault.

Looks like you need to get a stick of ram to try, or try yours in another machine.
You dont hear of Cellshock ram failing that often but i suppose its possibe.

The 5 second reboot thing is common with 965 boards.

Do you have any idea what bios is on it? - have you ever updated it?

Try and take out or unplug everything thats not needed and try and boot with the bare essentials ie cpu, gfx and 1 stick of ram.

Cheers for replying!

I have updated but that was ages ago... I think that it 1024 or something like that (maybe 1016?)

I have tried with only essentials but still no joy:(

Think I'm going to have to wait until I can get a stick of DDR2 RAM:(:(

Cheers anywho guys!

Back
Top Bottom