Bf3 system ram usage?

Soldato
hey guys

I was asking about this on the BF3 thread but its pretty busy in there so i thought i'd ask here :)

I've only got 4gb of ram and getting worried i wont have enough to play this smoothly. Usually have between 2.6 - 2.8gb of ram free.

Could anyone post some ram usage graphs up for me? Tried google but i cant find a lot on the retail version on BF3.

Once again cheers lads :cool:

Soldato
I had 6GB of ram and in the beta I noticed usage of nearly 5GB which included BF3, Orgin, Task manager on performance monitoring, and a couple of other small apps running.
This game really does kill 4GB, maybe time to pop another 4GB in to be safe?
Ive just gone from 6GB to 12GB to be sure (tri-channel)

You can never overkill on ram

Soldato
I had 6GB of ram and in the beta I noticed usage of nearly 5GB which included BF3, Orgin, Task manager on performance monitoring, and a couple of other small apps running.
This game really does kill 4GB, maybe time to pop another 4GB in to be safe?
Ive just gone from 6GB to 12GB to be sure (tri-channel)

You can never overkill on ram

BF3 does not use 5gb.

Even if you have 1TB of ram in your PC, windows 7 will still 'use' it all, it just reserves it.

To see how much ram bf3 is using, just look at the bf3 process.

Soldato
In bfx max usage i had so far was 14xxMb. Anything over 4Gb is pointless

Which is all well and good, but if your system idles about about 2.2GB used like mine, then adding another 1.4GB is cutting it a little fine.

BF3 runs at just under 2GB for me taking me over the 4GB mark. With the cost of RAM (DDR3 anyways) and the availability of x64 OSes, it's a quick fix to pop in another 4GB and give yourself a buffer to play with and one less thing to worry about.

Soldato
OP
Looking at my system it idles at 1.6gb. Thats with task manager, vuze, graphics temp widget, daemon tools and AI Suite running. Should leave me with roughly 2.2gb left which is plenty.

Panic over :)

Soldato
Resource monitor had me hitting 98% of 4GB last night on BF3. This is with Origin and Firefox (obviously), Steam and MSE.

Nothing else. Bought 8GB of the Kingston Hyper X after I saw that.

Soldato
Mine seems to run fine on 4GB but last night I was peaking very high on Memory Usage - 95%+ and as a precaution closed background processes off to free some.

Rather than do that I just bought another set of 2x2GB XMS3 for cheap cheap.

Caporegime
May have to get new RAM as well.

Current system:

4GB G Skill RAM
HIS 4850 512MB
intel i5 750 (stock)

1920x1080

Couple of questions though:

1. When I alt tab out to change server etc. the system sort of comes to a halt for a few seconds. The general UI is a bit unresponsive for a few seconds as well once out of game and returns to normal, is this due to just RAM and/or hard drive and/or the small amount of VRAM on GPU?

2. Physical memory usage with just FF (4 tabs and quite a few extensions/userstyles installed, uses about 300-350MB), origin open and my other usual background stuff is around 46% and then when playing BF 3 it is 80-90%, was hitting 97% when I had my other usual background stuff opened (which is closed now) and the odd time I encounter a bad hardware stutter, but this could be related to the low VRAM as well (everything on lowest setting at 1080P)

So if I got another 4GB, would the 2 things above improve a good bit, especially for number 1?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom