• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sapphire 4870 1gb "Silent Efficiency"

Associate
Sapphire 4870 1gb Non Reference or Redesigned cooler

This new card has appeared on an American competitor, it's a non reference cooled 1gb 4870 which, if the cooling does the job brilliantly, will hit the sweet spot in the 4870 market. Just wondering if anybody has any info on this? as it's the first time i've seen it and details seem pretty scarce. It look's a bit like the toxic version but it's a seperate card, not the toxic itself.

11133-03-20rvd3105top.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
it is saphire 4870 toxic edition i think it was on preorder in ocuk but it is not now. im not sure if it comes in 1 gb

It's not, i've now seen this card on a UK competitor. I don't know if it's just a redesigned 4870 1gb but it does seem to have a different code to the normal 4870 1gb from Sapphire. People have posted about it on a few forums and on the Sapphire forums because this card hasn't appeared on Sapphire's site itself yet and so nobody knows what's going on. People who have bought it have said it comes in the normal Sapphire 4870 box.

51rZuRfGqJL._SS500_.jpg

100259-1GL in America
11133-04-20R in UK

Can anybody shed some light on this card?.

Caporegime
the blower cooler is useless and utter crap, normal fans blowing onto a heatsink simply works infinately better, if you have a case with 120mm fans bought within the last 5 years the heat dump into the case will make next to no difference. The better cooling from a decent sink will get you a higher overclock on your cpu, at worst your CPU temp might increase 1-2c, possibly an ever so slightly smaller CPU overclock(worst case scenario) but considering almost all games are GPU limited which would be best to have a higher overclock on. I finally took the blower sink off my 4870x2 which would sit at 60-70idle with the fan in silent mode on the stock sink, but would need 45-50% depending on the game to remain stable at load. A single 120mm zip tied on, by far from the best setup possible sits silent at 35c on the 2nd core, 45C main core, for some reason its in the 750 core/500 mem clock mode with those temps aswell. No change in case temps, cpu temp or stability and much better gpu temps.

If you can always buy a version without a blower style cooler, almost any other type will give you better temps and more room for overclocking not to mention less issues with dust buildup and ease of cleaning.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom