Spec me: nuclear themed films!

Soldato
Hi guys

Yep, I have a morbid fascination with nuclear war so after watching Wargames t'other night can you suggest some nuclear themed films to watch!

I'm most interested in the procedures and preparation, huge bunkers in the hillside (vaults Fallout fans :D) to the different Defcon stages, authorisation codes etc., all the way up to the aftermath.

Films I've already seen that I can think of...

Fail Safe - if you haven't seen this already I highly recommend you watch it, it's utterly gripping and was filmed and broadcast live on American TV!
Threads
Terminator films (naturally!)
Crimson Tide
The Hunt for Red October
Independence Day - OK, that's a tenuous link!
The Day After
When The Wind Blows

Looking forward to your suggestions!

Thanks. :)

Soldato
OP
Please make sure you are sat down for my next sentence....

I haven't ever watched them properly.

Yes...I know.

I saw bits of them years ago, didn't understand them properly and never got round to watching them again, they are now on my list, thanks!!! :D

Soldato
IMO, the 1964 version of Fail-Safe is far superior and still worth watching if you've seen the remake.

The War Game, made in a faux-documentary style that Pete Watkins was master at (see also Punishment Park), is famously powerful and disturbing.

Delicatessen is an odd one, but it is a pretty great film and it's set in a post-nuclear holocaust society.

On the Beach is kind of a slow-burner, but an interesting portrayal of a society waiting for the end as nuclear winds approach from a distant nuclear war.

Soldato
May not concentrate on actual events themselves, nuclear or otherwise, but Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker (1979), is a very very good film. It's very much the idea of exploring a post-event wasteland/wilderness with all of its hidden dangers. It's about 160 mins long, but worth it! Brilliant for tension.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom