ultrawide monitor for gaming

Soldato
I am looking to get a new monitor to complement my newly refreshed rig and upgrade from the current 24inch AOC I have.

Whilst looking at the selection on OCUK i saw these ultra wide 21:9 monitors like the dell and the asus. I am really tempted to get one of them but I am not sure how they would fare in games like BF3, EvE, Skyrim.

I do a lot of phhotshop work so I think I would certainly benefit from the increase in desktop real estate.

However do games today support the super wide screen resolutions ? or will they end up with vertical black bars either side because the game doesn't support those resolutions ?

Mei

Mei

Soldato
some games do some dont, i think most the newer ones do
how about another aoc, their 29inch is the one i would get
the philips one looks interesting too, not seen a good review of imput lag on them yet tho

Soldato
Direct x is pretty good at supporting whatever res is available. The only issue will be whether in-game FOV can be tweaked to avoid the kind of fish-eye effect on triple screen set-ups.

One thing to consider though is that 27" hi-res ips panels like the affordable DGM offer an awful lot of horizontal pixels to play with, usually with more vertical pixels (important in a general purpose workspace for me) without risking that ultra-wide wierdness. I'm curious about them as well, but after picking up a DGM in a sale a year or so ago I'm extremely happy with it as both a workspace and gaming screen... Though obviously those pixels take a bit of shifting! :)

Soldato
OP
Direct x is pretty good at supporting whatever res is available. The only issue will be whether in-game FOV can be tweaked to avoid the kind of fish-eye effect on triple screen set-ups.

One thing to consider though is that 27" hi-res ips panels like the affordable DGM offer an awful lot of horizontal pixels to play with, usually with more vertical pixels (important in a general purpose workspace for me) without risking that ultra-wide wierdness. I'm curious about them as well, but after picking up a DGM in a sale a year or so ago I'm extremely happy with it as both a workspace and gaming screen... Though obviously those pixels take a bit of shifting! :)

thats this one right ?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-003-DG&groupid=17&catid=1120

the resolution sounds pretty sweet. I would assume that a 7950 crossfire setup could handle those resolutions in games like BF3 ? I guess would have to crank it down from ultra settings though ?

Would still be interested to hear from gamers running the ultrawide setups though as I like the idea of a lot of horizonatl withou having to go eyefinity

Soldato
thats this one right ?
Yes, that's it. I have a 3 x 19" setup at one end of my desk for sim racing, and the DGM attached to this PC, my main desktop machine, which is only an E8400@3GHz with an ATI 5870. I do most of my gaming and almost all my general computing on this PC, because even when I have to drop the resolution to 1080p for games, and cut down the flashy effects, this is a great way to experience games. And of course it's a very useful screen size for multiple window desktop work.

When I edit movies I prefer the ultra-wide three screen setup, and to be fair if I had more expensive, larger screens on that PC I might spend more time on it. But the DGM -- while far from perfect, as the thread for it will show -- is a very nice screen indeed, especially when on offer for £329, like it was last week. The closer it gets to £400, the more tempted I'd be to save more and buy one of the better brands.

Anyway, those ultra-wide screens seem very nice, but I know one person on iRacign who bought one to see if it was a viable alternative to his existing three screen sim racing machine, but he wasn;t impressed by the reduction in horizontal FOV.

Sim racing (and flight sims) are fairly niche activities though, and in most cases I'd expect the ultra wide format to be more acceptable in every way (physical desk space and reduced GPU workload). I'd just struggle to lose the vertical workspace now I've got used to 2560x1440.

Ultimately with screens there's absolutely no substitute for finding somewhere which stocks them and can show you what they're really like. I don't think I've seen an ultra-wide in the wild though, and very few people have them so far to get advice from.

Associate
I'm pretty interested in these too. I have a dell 2560x1440 at the moment but am thinking of replacing it with a cintiq for my graphic work and getting a monitor dedicated to gaming. Does anyone know if there are any plans for 120hz ultra wide monitors? That would be so perfect for FPS gaming!

Associate
my single 680 plays all of those games you mentioned in the OP in 2560x1080 maxed out at 60 fps without any problems :) on the dell u2913wm, that is.

Soldato
OP
my dell arrived yesterday.

Got it back, hooked it all up.

All I can say is wow.

Currently playing skyrim with lots of mods at 2560 x 1080 is really imersive. I had to download an app called flawless widescreen though as at that res there was some display issues with the HUD, namely the invetory and the perks screens.

I am using the moniotr out of the box using game mode, I haven't done any callibration or adjusted anything. Only installed the dell drivers and the software that lets you control the monitor settigns through windows rather than using the OSD

Man of Honour
If you switch to gaming mode and a few other tweaks the panel drops to fairly decent latency and becomes very responsive but at a bit of a cost to image quality. The aspect ratio is really nice for immersion in games like skyrim but I've found the odd game where it distorts the shadow map projection.

Soldato
my dell arrived yesterday.

Got it back, hooked it all up.

All I can say is wow.

Currently playing skyrim with lots of mods at 2560 x 1080 is really imersive. I had to download an app called flawless widescreen though as at that res there was some display issues with the HUD, namely the invetory and the perks screens.

I am using the moniotr out of the box using game mode, I haven't done any callibration or adjusted anything. Only installed the dell drivers and the software that lets you control the monitor settigns through windows rather than using the OSD

I was going to say that 2560*1440 is not 'ultra widescreen' it's still 16:9 however the Dell looks superb, any chance of some pics and screenshots. Especially of Skyrim in wide as I've just restarted it.

Andi.

Soldato
OP
I was going to say that 2560*1440 is not 'ultra widescreen' it's still 16:9 however the Dell looks superb, any chance of some pics and screenshots. Especially of Skyrim in wide as I've just restarted it.

Andi.

didn;t really play tonight, but here is a quick screenshot. I have started a new game so its really early in act 1

Spolier because its the full res screen

9616204411_dc52f910fd_o.jpg

Associate
right....so yesterday i forgot to get some pics, i remembered today though :)

next to a DELL U2412M
tJuDpUc.jpg

some game screenshots, diablo 3, skyrim, EVE online

nOjjeLI.jpg
PkLDkg1.jpg
LjhLDQU.jpg

Back
Top Bottom