• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

780ti Sli temp issue

Associate
Today i recieved my second 780ti.

First thing i did was run the cards at stock and ran a few benches, everything fine and no performance issues, however the 2nd card's temp shot up to 84 degrees, hmm, checked everything was clean , fan spinning ok , airflow not an issue as the case is open.

First card is a gigabyte 780ti ref with skynets bios

Second card is an evga 780ti SC ref card.

Both cards at default clocks , no overclock , no voltage adjustment.

At 100% fan speed the second card only *just* stays under 80 degrees running heaven 4 and i'm pretty sure my other ref card when not watercooled stayed under 70 degrees.

Anyway , i wont waffle on and any input would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks

Ed

Last edited:
Soldato
First thing we need to know is what case you are using and what inlet/outlet fans does it have ?

Also have you checked the GPU temps with the side panels of the case removed ?

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Does one have a metal backing plate? That will cook the card next to it. Try also to wedge them apart a bit with some folded up paper. Looks a mess but works

Associate
OP
Ok , this isnt a external cooling issue, there is no heat from the first card, its watercooled, there is LOTS of space above and below it.

Soldato
Does one have a metal backing plate? That will cook the card next to it. Try also to wedge them apart a bit with some folded up paper. Looks a mess but works
It his second card that giving him problems..

Wedging them apart would only increase airflow to the top card
And the top GPU backplate would be next to the CPU cooler and not next the problem GPU..

Associate
OP
Ok , changed out the paste for some MX4, knocked a couple of degrees of the temps but nothing to write home about.

So , the latest !

Changed paste , no real change to temps.

Disabled SLI and running EVGA as Primary Card

Everything stock , no Overclocking

CASE IS OPEN

Ambient room temp or 20 degrees

Case temp 22 degrees

Running heaven 4 , temp quickly rises to 83 degrees (within 30 seconds) with fan on auto, core speed up and down so assuming throttling.

Running Heaven 4, temps rise quickly to 73 degrees at 100% fan speed.

Any ideas or suggestions ? as i'm quite frankly stumped :(

Many thanks

Ed

Last edited:
Associate
Set temperature target to 95c in MSI afterburner and do not worry about it.
Grab a cheap 120mm fan and place it over where the VRMS are ,just so you do not blow them out.
Ghetto Mod for a couple weeks.
I had a few 780Ti cards and some just run hot,some do not.

Associate
You can give us a picture how your stuff looks inside, don't you think it'd be a great idea ? :)

My first card in SLI (when I say first it means the top one) was always hotter about 10 deg than the lower one. Single card was fine (when I say fine it means its temp was like lower one in SLI). I don't know why, I had good vents in my case (5 120mm fans).

I've noticed temp depends on what's just under card's face where is located it's fan - because if there's another card (like sound card), so fan gets louder and takes mostly warm air from case just before 120mm fans would take after it. It's simply air circulation example which is affected by this sound card. Type of GFX cooling plays a role as well as some cards are OTES (outside the case blowing), and some are blowing around inside the case.

Associate
OP
Firstly my cpu and Primary 780ti are watercooled. The EVGA SC is in the second slot. The only thing below it is the PSU and thats a good 2-3 inches away. The PSU fan is in the bottom of the case. There is nothing else near the card, no cables, no clutter , no add-on cards, no fans blowing hot air against it. The card is getting air from the outside of the case and its quite cool in here.

To put it in comparason my reasonably overclocked but aircooled Gigabyte 780ti would hit 64 degrees and that was in a closed case.

This thing will hit 83 degrees 71 seconds into heaven, everything stock.

Associate
OP
Ok just a final piece of info, Fan at 100% , 2 loops of heaven again totally stock, no volts , no overcock and its at 75 degrees and slowly climbing

Associate
OP
Well , i'm going to give it a try in another pc tonight in the hope that its some mysterious ghost in my rig thats causing it , I shall report back !

Soldato
In my cosmos 2 case, with 2 of those EVGA 780 ti superclock cards at their factory overclock level - they never go higher than 68C. Obviously my case is massive and a beast, but the coolers work extremely well for SLI, even at the overclocked speeds.

Associate
OP
*Update*

Tested in another pc, open case , plenty of air flow , fresh latest whql driver install, single card.

The only real difference is that here its much warmer with an abmient temp of around 24 degrees (My room was 17 degrees earlier) and i'm obviously not running SLI , within 41 seconds of running Heaven 4 its @ 83 degrees and throttling. :(

Back
Top Bottom