• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will a Prolimatech MK26 Fit a msi gaming gtx980ti?

Associate
Prolimatech MK26 Installed on a msi gaming gtx980ti

Although my msi gaming gtx980ti is 10 times quieter than my gtx980ti gigabyte gaming, its still too noisy for me so im going to install my prolimatech mk26 onto my msi. Photos and temps to follow.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Wow, Silence! Idle temp has dropped from 31-32 degrees to 23 degrees, thats with the fans running at minimum setting of 25.
Load temps on firestrike have dropped from 71-73 degrees down to 58-60 degrees with fans running at 60 which is completely silent! Massive improvement and if i run the fans on 100, the noise is like the msi gaming on around 70 speed.

Only problem was, the screws at the back of the card holding the cooler onto the pcb were too long for the card to be installed on pci-e 1 slot so i have had to install it on pci-2 slot which only runs at 8x not 16x but with the same overclock as stock cooler i actually got a better firestrike score as the card wasnt downclocking so there doesnt seem to be any difference between x16 speed to x8 speed? im still using a 2500k processor (4500mhz) so its running at 2.0 not 3.0 anyway but looking to upgrade to either skylake or 5820k soon so will be getting a new motherboard and cpu in the next few months.
Well impressed, case seems to be much cooler also and so does the cpu. WIN WIN result!

Photos to follow.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
1_zpszucw3fsm.jpg

5_zpslgxlgtxk.jpg

3_zps0vtmub0y.jpg

6_zpsdtdeo3mh.jpg

7_zps4p2j9soq.jpg

8_zpsz0p6ynpe.jpg

Sorry for the feet in photo 5!

This should enable me to get a better overclock i expect so will update when i have had a play about.

Associate
Yeah it is, see the black heat plate in the images, that I still on there

NOPE.

The (removed) heatsink makes contact with the VRMs (labeled SFC) and even has a large thermal pad strip on it.
It will probably be fine, but I would point a thermometer gun at it to be sure.

vAxV5cK.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
NOPE.

The (removed) heatsink makes contact with the VRMs (labeled SFC) and even has a large thermal pad strip on it.
It will probably be fine, but I would point a thermometer gun at it to be sure.

vAxV5cK.jpg

Those are inductors. The VRM chips that get hot are under the black heatsink. The thermal pad is most likely protection to keep the cooler from scratching the top of the inductor casing. You can see that only the fins of the cooler have touched the inductor thermal pad.

Associate
I checked the prolimatech website and it now adds atleast all the gtx 900 series cards to the comparability list. Maybe OCUK could add all that to their list.

Soldato
This thread has made me wander what temps I could achieve by putting on my Antec Kuhler 920..

It's so quiet already though not sure I can be bothered lol.

Good work OP, do you know if MSI will still honor warranty if OG cooler is removed?

Associate
OP
Just a little update to this. I have settled on clocks on 1520/7600 on stock voltage, gpu fans on 30% fan speed at idle (silent) and then a custom fan curve. Gpu hovers around 55-57 degrees with fan at 55-57% (still silent) if I push any further I hit the power limit but to be honest, I don't need to push it any higher! Well happy with this, I was getting gpu temps around 70-73 degrees with fan at 85-90% so now it's about 15-18 degrees colder at full throttle with fans completely silent. Just goes to show, the msi cooler, although good, can be vastly improved further.

Back
Top Bottom