Speaker isolating/decoupling, do it!

Soldato
Hi all, I was aware of the bass from my speakers being drowned out by the desk, so decided enough was enough and made my own decoupling stands, made of dvd cases and some spare rubber mat: p

ifeyR2M.jpg

You’ll have to excuse the awful iPotato pic and don’t worry this isn’t my permanent desk (and monitor) ;)

Does the job great, now the tweeters are at ear level I am hearing details I wasn't before. Also the bass has definitely come alive and more in your face now, still not ideal due to room acoustics but good enough! Kick drums are sounding more punchier and sharper as well. So I think things in general have cleared up in terms of clarity. Maybe less “muddy” some might say, but I don’t want to dive too deep into talking about things I don’t know much about :p
Also worth noting no placebo effect is at work here, as I’ve tested this “solution” for a few weeks now ;)

I wonder how these would compare to some proper foam, or those gel feet you can stick on which would be more low profile. MoPads are a bit to overpriced for my liking but I am sure proper high density foam or even rockwool would make a huge difference as well, probably better than my DIY hack which is still rather impressive.

So in conclusion definitely consider getting some form of speaker stands or isolation pads, as they will make a noticeable difference to your listening experience.
Whether it be through stands or pads, no way will I be going back to putting speakers straight on a desk.

Last edited:
I need to do this at some point... I think I have some speaker stands kicking around in the loft actually.

I can't help feeling that a big chunk of the bass ends up going through the desk and then the floor.

I need to do this at some point... I think I have some speaker stands kicking around in the loft actually.

I can't help feeling that a big chunk of the bass ends up going through the desk and then the floor.

Yeah it is / was a rather unpleasant listening experience as well, I think the correct term would be "muddy" as I mentioned already. You can't help but hear the sound being drowned by the desk. This actually depends on what type of desk you have, the one in the pic isn't actually that bad but any sort of cheaper MDF will make things sound worse :p

Yeah it is / was a rather unpleasant listening experience as well, I think the correct term would be "muddy" as I mentioned already. You can't help but hear the sound being drowned by the desk. This actually depends on what type of desk you have, the one in the pic isn't actually that bad but any sort of cheaper MDF will make things sound worse :p

Personally, about 2.5m of pine and yeah, that's how I'd describe it.

If only I could remember where I put the damn stands. I'm starting to think about what I can repurpose now though!

Just getting the speakers right position (height) for the ear makes a huge difference - the difference with my 1600s is massive.

Back
Top Bottom