ANTEC NEOPower blew up!

Soldato
Don't go for the hyper, I had one and it was a good PSU except you have to daisy chain the cables, which is messy and some of the molex's are hard to connect.

Secondly, the modstream rails fluctuate under load, quite a few reviews have said this and OcUK stopped selling them, not sure why they are back. Although I think the New GameXtreme (think they are called that) are better and don't have this problem - I've seen them praised a lot on here.

Seasonic, or Tagan. I have the Tagan EasyCon and it is a fantastic PSU.

Soldato
OP
ANTEC what are you doing to me!

Hi guys,

just a quick update, either I am having a bad run of luck or something is up! :mad:

Today I have been to collect another machine from a Client/Friend who called me a week or so ago saying his PC wouldn't boot properly and to come over to check it out when I had time.

Finally travelled to his place in Kent today to inspect the PC myself. Basically it was powering up, all fans spinning etc but it wouldn't post?. I did all the usual checks and virtually removed/disconnected all the components trying to get something from the system but nada. So I packed it up and transported it back to my place/workshop in London.

Once back at home I sat and thought what to do, strange I never saw a problem like this, can it be the PSU? (2 year old ANTEC TRUEPower 550w) I mean the boards getting power, all the fans are spinning, I never saw a PSU that is *half* working before, so I decided to get that Tagan EasyCon 530w PSU (that I ordered for a HTPC build) unpacked and tried to hook up the main 20-pin ATX and the 4-pin P4 connector to the motherboard, first problem the 20-pin ATX connector wouldn't fit into the socket on the ABIT AI7 mobo, oh crap. Luckily I had the 24-pin to 20-pin adapter from the NEOPower about so I connected the adapter to the mobo and then the Tagen ATX lead to that, cool.

antectagenabiteditmw1.jpg

Now with both the main leads hooked up I booted the system and VOILA, perfect boot straight into BIOS and everything is sweet, so that means the original PSU is borked, jeesus ANTEC what are you doing!!

In a way I am glad it was just a naffed PSU rather than a problem deeper in the system (shifty mobo etc).

Next up was the original system that was using an Antec NEOPower 550w, I did the same thing with that, hooked up the main 20-pin ATX lead (which fitted no problem on the ASUS mobo, unlike the ABIT mobo mentioned above) and the 4-pin P4 lead, PHEW! the system booted and straight into BIOS for a snoop about, all looks good!

So the upside of all of this is that so far it appears that both systems are *undamaged* by their FAILED Psu's, and once I have purchased/fitted some new PSU's both PCs look like they will be back in 100% working order.

The downside to this is that within the space of 2 weeks I have had *TWO* of my machines fail.

Machine #1: Totally Broken from Clients perspective, cause appears to be a defective PSU (ANTEC NEOPower 480w) approx 18 months old.

Machine #2: Totally Broken from Clients perspective, cause appears to be a defective PSU (ANTEC TRUEPower 550w) approx 20 months old. This is a weird example because I have never seen a PSU that is *half* broken.

tagenantec01editix8.jpg

One thing I noticed about the newer Tagan EasyCon 530w is that it is quite a bit larger than any PSU I have seen before, and is also the first PSU where I have had to read the instruction manual to work out what all the leads are (JEEZ, how many modular leads do you get!!!!!!!!!! lol). Other points of note about the Tagen is its extremely quiet.

I think I will use the Tagan EasyCon to replace the TRUEPower because that system is in a big case, but I will have to look at something a bit smaller for the original *modded* system (was NEOPower) because thats housed in the Antec Lanboy and it don't got enough room for such a big supply. . .

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've had two Antecs die as well. One went bang - literally. The UPS it was plugged into wasn't too happy about it, but the fuse in the plug blew before any damage was done. Popped off the lid on the PSU and soon found out why...

DSC00098s.JPG

My other Antec decided to undervolt the 12V rail - to 11.4V. Sounds familiar.

This was a year ago now. Dumped both (didn't occur to me they would still be in warranty - D'oh - though I wouldn't trust new ones anyway). Replaced both with new Enermax PSUs and both are still fine (touch wood).

Caporegime
Dont get a hiper , they work for a good few months then strange things start to happen 12v rail starts to get low, then it cant keep its power... after that system freezes.

Ive ordered the ocz 700 watt due tomorrow.

This is just MY personal experience with hiper and ive seen a few others on dfi
and even a few members on here

Caporegime
Mekrel said:
Don't go for the hyper, I had one and it was a good PSU except you have to daisy chain the cables, which is messy and some of the molex's are hard to connect.

Secondly, the modstream rails fluctuate under load, quite a few reviews have said this and OcUK stopped selling them, not sure why they are back.

As i was saying hehe another user now ^

Mine are fluctuating , fails to start the system sometimes AND system freeze ups when prime and memtest pass with flying colours

Back
Top Bottom