My First Hi-Fi Setup [Pics]

Soldato
Going on from a previous thread I had about "going to listen to Hi-Fi Setups at the weekend" I purchased my first ever setup today. :) And all I can say is.... It's awesome! :cool: Much better than my old PC speakers.

Well anyways, this is what I bought,

: Mordaunt-Short 902i Bookshelf Speakers
: Cambridge Audio Azur 640A Amp

Now, they are not running "properly" as after reading the manual these can be bi-wired and from the looks of it I need to get more cable. Will this improve the quality even more?

Coupled with my X-Fi everything sounds amazing. The speakers are very very clear and the bass output is good to. I thought I'd miss the fact of having no woofer but imo they perhaps don't need one. And it's not a boomy bass, it's actually more refined if that makes sense... basically it's not just a deep noise.

I have a 14 day trial from the shop as well, so if I'm not satisfied I can exchange them, which is quite nice. Pics below, comments welcome.

Thanks!

Soldato
OP
The Amp -

HiFi_Amp2.jpg

HiFi_Amp.jpg

The Speakers -

HiFi_Speaker.jpg

HiFi_Speaker_Coverless.jpg

Soldato
Glad your enjoying them. Bi-wiring certainly isn't essential and i'd be suprised if you genuinely noticed a difference after doing it. Save your money tbh :) .

The bass output should be much better, bear in mind you have 2 woofers, one in each speaker, and the combined area and case volume of the 2 is probably more than that of the old PC speakers "subwoofer". The bass should sound tighter yeah, just due to better acoustic design and the amp having more control.

You should also find you get a better stereo effect as it isn't only the treble that is in stereo, it is the mids and bass too, so locating enemies should be easier as well as improving the music quality :)

Soldato
its going to be tricky getting the most out of them whilst there in the position they are. Really a good set of stands should be used and have the out of corners and a bit away from a wall, just to control the bass.

Dont waste money on bi-wiring, its a complete waste of money, you will not notice the slightest bit of differance. all your doing if replacing the speaker binding post brackets with a long run of cable. just replace the bracket with a little bit of quality cable for the same effect, I still reckon you woudlnt notice that either though to be honest.

I would try and bring them away from the wall slightly if I were you, try movong your whole desk away from the wall a bit, just to let them breath. If you cant have stands where they are then put 4 dabs of blue tack under each speaker, stops em slipping and more importnatly vibrating.

other then that just enjoy :D

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the info on the bi-wiring. :) Much appreciated. I could possibly buy stands but space is v.tight in the room. Just in front of the right hand side of the desk is the bottom of my double bed (you can just see the duvet in one of the pics), so I doubt I could pull the desk off the wall anymore. :(

Lol just had "The Police - So Lonely" blasting out and it was soooo good. Never noticed the top end being so tight before. Haha I'm like a little kid again! Woo!

Thanks again!

Soldato
Firegod:

That is a nice amplifier!

Glad your happy with it.

On the subject of bi-wiring, I did notice a difference, in that there was better separation of the different sounds. Bi-wiring is a controversial subject at the best of times. ;)

Soldato
It is controversial as scientifically, it shouldn't make any difference, and Hi-Fi is a science (as often as it deviates into "snake oil" these days). I almost thought I heard a difference after doing it, but I had spent ages doing it, my fingers hurt and I am certain I imagined it tbh, just as subconscious reassurance I hadn't wasted my time. Since moving it, I haven't bothered bi-wiring again. Things like changing thier location make far more difference, it might well be worth getting some isolation for the speakers as mentioned. Blu-tak would work, but cork or rubber feet might be best. If you really wanted, you could use some special studio foam under them, and applying it (any left over) to the walls behind them should help too :)

Associate
looks very nice, both the amp and speakers seem to get good reviews from what i have read.

bet they make a huge difference from sp speakers. i have been considering doing the same thing.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Nice one.
As already stated, don't worry about bi-wiring. Chances are that you'd simply be better off buying higher quality single wire.

One thought, try sticking small blobs of blue tak under your speakers, might help a little.

Soldato
OP
Thanks again for the comments. :)

@antc, they sure do make a difference over my tiny little 5.1 speakers that I had before. I can now see why people say don't buy PC speakers. I'm converted. lol. The bloke in the store had the originals, not the "i" version and said they were good as well, so as soon as he said that I was sold on the new ones. :D

I'll try the blue-tak idea as well that has been mentioned.

@jbloggs, thanks. I just noticed that it moves the big volume knob when you use the Remote Control for the Volume. That's a neat party trick right there. Magic! :p

Soldato
Not just a party trick, the motorised volume is still the best quality form of remote volume control :) . It avoids it having to go through any VCA circuitry or digital volume chip (both of which can be very good too btw), and can use a normal mechanical pot volume.

Soldato
OP
Dr.EM said:
Not just a party trick, the motorised volume is still the best quality form of remote volume control :) . It avoids it having to go through any VCA circuitry or digital volume chip (both of which can be very good too btw), and can use a normal mechanical pot volume.

Wow did not know that! :) Cheers.

Soldato
OP
antc said:
do you mind me asking how much you payed for the amp and the speakers Firegod?

I don't mind, you could easily find out online anyway (or at least get a rough idea) so it's no secret mate. :)

The speakers were £149.99 and the Amp was £249.99. I got all the cables thrown in for free with a bit of haggling and also managed to get two free coffee mugs as well. :p Result!

I think that's an ok amount to pay, not too much, but if you think about it the Logitech speakers are like ~£250 so the Hi-Fi stuff is not that much more. :)

Soldato
Dr.EM said:

I think the designers at Linn and other might disagree with that :p as they use a contact less solid state switching "ladder step" volume control system... that doesn't degrade over time..... Motorised pots are a "cheap" off the shelf option ;)

Putting the speakers up on some wall brackets, a little higher than the desk should improve the sound.
Re Bi wire, replace the metal links on the back of the speakers with speaker wire, should make a small but noticeable improvement. Fraction of the cost, for 90% of the improvement.

Caporegime
Mr_Sukebe said:
One thought, try sticking small blobs of blue tak under your speakers, might help a little.

yup, and better still, get some speaker stands !!! Speakers should never sit on tables, and not that close to each other as well, it really restrict them and you won't hear their full potential until you have them on some stands and with apart a bit more.

Soldato
Raymond Lin said:
yup, and better still, get some speaker stands !!! Speakers should never sit on tables, and not that close to each other as well, it really restrict them and you won't hear their full potential until you have them on some stands and with apart a bit more.

Seconded. They must be what .. 2 ft away from you at most?! Stick them much further apart and try to get a bit of distance between you and them.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
I cant make out if there is one or not, but if there is a Tone Direct (or defeat, or whatever they call it) button - PRESS IT and LEAVE IT OFF!

If there isnt one, leave them at 12 o'clock and forget they exist. Get used to the sound that way - its how it is supposed to sound.

Back
Top Bottom