• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How to volt mod your 7800 GT through BIOS!!!

Associate
Hi there,

Recently found out how to do this and allows me to get 530 MHz Core giving me 8,3014 marks in 3DMark05. Before going any further it goes without saying that
YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

To do the BIOS mod, you will need the following:

a couple of floppy disks
NiBitor 2.5a
NvFlash 5.25

First you will need to make a backup of your bios just incase:
Create a bootable floppy disk and then copy nvflash.exe and cwsdpmi.exe to the same disk
Boot the computer from the floppy, and issue the command:
nvflash -b a:\oldbios.rom
This will extract a copy of your video card bios and put it onto the floppy disk as oldbios.rom

Before you continue, you should be aware of the risks involved
I cannot be held responsible for any mishaps you may have or damage you may cause to your card. Incorrect flashing of your card can render it inoperable, and leave you staring at a blank screen.
To minimise the risks, you should have an old spare pci graphics card and/or a floppy disk containing your original bios.
If anything should go wrong and you don't have a spare pci gfx card, then you can still do something known as a "blind flash"
To do a "blind flash" we add the following lines to the autoexec.bat file on the floppy disc containing your original backed up BIOS:
nvflash -r
nvflash -4 -5 -6 -A -y a:\oldbios.rom
This will flash the bios of the videocard without requiring any user input

Right, with the warnings out of the way...

Boot back into windows and open your bios file with NiBitor. You should see something similar to the following screen
nibitor18cy.jpg

Now comes the strange part, change the device id to read "Nvidia PCI-E 6800 Series GPU" and save the BIOS under a different name (eg. newbios.rom)

Open the new "newbios.rom" file and switch to the "Voltages" tab, place a tick in the "Extended Voltage Table" box

This allows us to select 1.5v as a 3D value
nibitor39ug.jpg

next we must clean up and correct the voltage table entries
nibitor46hp.jpg

nibitor4voltage5lt.jpg

the correct listing should be
nibitor4voltagec8hk.jpg

after correcting the table entries, change the device back to read "Nvidia PCI-E 7800GT" and save your modded 7800GT BIOS

make yourself another bootable floppy disk and add the nvflash.exe, cwsdpmi.exe, and your newbios.rom file
reboot the pc with the floppy, and type
nvflash -r
nvflash -4 -5 -6 -A -y a:\newbios.rom

Once windows has loaded up successfully the mod is complete and should allow you to overclock much further than previous attemps, my card is optimally detected at 500/1.15, for the records, this does not increase the voltage going through the memory.

If you give it a go please let us know what overclock you get.

As far as i'm aware this DOES not work with GTX models.

Cheers,

Andy

Associate
OP
Lol, yeah, thought that id done it in. After a lot of research it tunred out to be a virus that corrupts nvidia forceware drivers and a format soreted it out, however was extremely worried at the time!!!

Associate
oooo sounds like fun, think i'll give it a go.
i'm gonna be putting an arctic cooler on my BFG 7800 gt this weekend so i'll be invalidating the warranty anyways!
I'll let you know how i get on.
Where did you get this info from originally?

Associate
OP
I use a arctic silencer 5 (rev 3) and even then i noticed and idle jump of about 5 degrees, however it dosent ever hit 60 on load so it's not bad. I would be a little wary if using a reference heatsink because you might be going quite high on load

Associate
thanks for this, did it a few mins ago. :)

XFX EE with stock cooler.

using auto-detect:

before = 461/1070
after = 490/1130

:)

Associate
yes i have volt modded on a BFG
coolbits optimum : 470/1150
volt modded : 499/1160
For all you benchmark whores out there it added an addition 300 points onto my 3dmark 05 score

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi there,

Thanks for sharing this information with us. Looks like it could be really useful to us 7800GT owners! :)

To do a "blind flash" we add the following lines to the autoexec.bat file

I've got to this part. I have a bootable floppy with the nVidia Flash programme you linked to and my original BIOS saved on the disc. I want to protect myself with that blind flash command but I have no autoexec.bat file on my disk. Can somebody help me please?

Associate
OP
^ ^ ^ ^ what he said.

If you can get your BFG up to 499mhz core already then theres no point doing the mod because BFG limit the maximum overclock. If you cant get up to 499mhz fire away :)

If you look closer into the programme you can set the clocks speeds and then put them onto the bios file via the floppy. If you set it to always start up at 500, it may be a way around the clock lock. I wouldnt count on it because it might not even boot up - :-S. Might be worth giving it a go if youre brave.

Associate
Amps said:
Has anyone done this on a BFG 7800GT yet?
I have a BFG 7800 GT OC (watercooled too :D ) and can get it upto 500/1200 with rivatuner, I am thinking of using this volt mod to squeeze that bit extra out of it.

My question is with this mod will I lose my VIVO capability?

Back
Top Bottom