New anti-virus tool

Associate
My free 90 day bundled e-trust is about to run out and I plan to change to Avast.
Is there a preferred sequence of operations when changing an AV product?
e.g Uninstall old, Install new or vice versa? Or it may not matter :confused:

Associate
not really, but when you do uninstall the old, make sure you use the built in uninstall not add/remove programs. Sometimes the windows one leaves reg values behind that come back to haunt you.

Associate
OP
Hmm. There is no 'uninstall' in the Start Programs list for Computer Associates e-trust.
So it'll have to be Add/Remove or Norton Clean Sweep (I have Utilities 2005).
I guess I can use Norton System doctor to clean up the registry.

Associate
vince said:
My free 90 day bundled e-trust is about to run out and I plan to change to Avast.
Is there a preferred sequence of operations when changing an AV product?
e.g Uninstall old, Install new or vice versa? Or it may not matter :confused:

You may find that if you have 2 av scanners installed simultaneously that your network connection no longer works properly

Associate
I would always uninstall one virus scanner before installing - if don't do this with norton it throws a complete wobbly

Associate
|Ric| said:
I would always uninstall one virus scanner before installing - if don't do this with norton it throws a complete wobbly

Norton will throw a wobbly if you do anything. Breathe out of time and it'll throw a wobble. McAfee all the way. - tho recently Win98 has gayed up with auto update on startup, but i put that down to 98 being homo.

Associate
well my personal experience of McAfee is it is only a lesser of 2 evils, NOD32 has to be my favourite at the moment

It seems to help that its definition of virus protection is simply not just hogging your resources so you can't use it to get a virus ;)

Associate
What McAfee do you use? only symantec does that. Or norton internet scurity. you don't need real time protection unless you regularly go on dodgy sites, and for that ther's MS antispyware.

Associate
OP
Oh dear :(
I removed e-trust OK. Nothing nasty left in the registry, but the Start-up check stayed in the Startup programs and kept telling me to update my registration. That was disabled with Winpatrol. I'll delete it later.

Avast installation started OK but at the end announced it was incompatible with ZoneAlarm and that my browser (Firefox) needed to use a manual proxy. I followed instructions to set it up, but no joy - no net access.
Avast say they are working with ZoneAlarm to fix this but it all seemed too messy. Also I wasn't sure if I should use the proxy with Thunderbird or IE which I use occasionally, and what about FTP, SSL etc settings in Firefox?

So for the time being I'm back with AVG which I was using before the new PC and e-trust :)

I may check NOD32 which gets good reports. Anyone know problems like Avast's with that?

Last edited:
Soldato
I would suggest NOD32. Costs a little money but is one of, if not THE best AVs out at the moment.

I have had AVG a few times over the years and absolutely loathe it.

SiriusB

Back
Top Bottom