cpu packaging advice !

Associate
rite im sending a cpu to someone

what i need to know is what does royal mail class as sufficient packaging !

incase it arrives damaged bent pins etc,

I sent one before in anti static bag and bubble wrap and it got bent pins, dint sent speical delivery tho so lost out,

im going to send special delivery with consequential loss,

any advice ?

Associate
Antistatic bag inside loads of bubble wrap inside a small cardboard box. :)

That's if you can't find the original packaging.

Commissario
antistatic bag doesn't help protect the pins though :(

If you can't find the original packaging, look around for some antistatic foam (you may have some from memory/CPU packaging), if you can't find that then place CPU in anti-static bag.
Seal bag.
Find some normal stiff foam, cut out suitable hole to drop CPU into.
Place CPU in the foam inside a good carboard box.

Sending a CPU in just an antistatic bag inside bubblewrap/jiffy bag is asking for the pins to be bent, you can still get bent pins with CPU's inside specifically designed packaging*, so just throwing it in a jiffy back is just asking for the pins to get bent.

If you've ever ordered an OEM CPU from OCUK the chances are you have ideal packaging for the CPU, as from memory OCUK always ship them in nice little plastic boxes with anti-static foam in the bottom.

*One of the reasons Intel changed from 478 pin CPU's to 748 ball contact CPU's (rather than move on to 748 pin CPU's) was to reduce the number of CPU's RMA's due to bent pins.

Associate
I was wondering, on the subject of sending a CPU through *** post, it wouldn't matter how much it got shook about would it coz its got no moving parts?

I.e. As long as the pins weren't bent, you could shake it around as much as you want and it should be ok?

Back
Top Bottom