PSU for Xfire system

Associate
Got a Opteron 170, X1900XTX, X1900XTcrossfire, DFI RDX200, 2gig RAM, Xfi, 2 Raptors and 2 other Hard drives, 1 optical drive system. Powered at the moment by a 520W OCZ PSU. I can Fold all day long, but system crashes when I try to run 3dmark01. Need a new PSU?

Associate
probably, folding to my knowledge doesn't use large graphics power, while 3d mark is a graphics stress-test and as such large amounts of power would have been drawn from the psu

Soldato
goreblast said:
Got one here in another crossfire system - what about the FSP Epsilon 700 FX700-GLN - opinions?

The problem with that is the 12v is split into 4 rails...also, the 3.3 and 5v are a tad low.

Associate
OP
I suppose I could test the Liberty I have here over Easter and see if it works. Afterall probably too late to get anything before Easter now anyway.

Would love a PC Power and Cooling Turbo Cool 1kW, but thats crazy money!

Soldato
goreblast said:
I suppose I could test the Liberty I have here over Easter and see if it works. Afterall probably too late to get anything before Easter now anyway.

Would love a PC Power and Cooling Turbo Cool 1kW, but thats crazy money!

Aside from being overkill.

Associate
OP
Maybe, maybe not - would future proof you for a bit - add a few more drives, one of these physx cards and some uber cooling. And you wouldnt have to worry about lack of power, but 350 quid (ex delivery) is a bit steep!

Soldato
goreblast said:
Maybe, maybe not - would future proof you for a bit - add a few more drives, one of these physx cards and some uber cooling. And you wouldnt have to worry about lack of power, but 350 quid (ex delivery) is a bit steep!

Thats more than some entire systems. Also you had an Enermax Liberty lying around...

Soldato
sr4470 said:
The problem with that is the 12v is split into 4 rails...also, the 3.3 and 5v are a tad low.
5v/30A or 3.3v/36A is not low. Especially as nothing with a serious load uses either rails. And there is nothing wrong with 4 rails. It's better than two, besides they all feed from the same source. 4 rails have a lot less chance of reaching 240VA on any one rail and tripping the OCL.

Last edited:
Soldato
fornowagain said:
5v/30A or 3.3v/36A is not low. Especially as nothing with a serious load uses either rails. And there is nothing wrong with 4 rails. It's better than two, besides they all feed from the same source. 4 rails have a lot less chance of reaching 240VA on any one rail and tripping the OCL.

I see your point, but the individual 12v are only ~14A each.

Associate
OP
Grace from FSP states that of the 12V lines. "It shows max 15A at the moment but they have updated and passed the safety certificates on 18A already. The OCP is actually 20A"

Don
Yeah the FSP is a great PSU by all accounts, especially for high end SLI. I'm using one after having problems with my OCZ 600W Powerstream and SLI and since switching it's performed flawlessly.

Jokester

Back
Top Bottom