• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which card to go for.....?

Soldato
Thinking of upgrading my graphics card from the current BFG 7800GT OC (as per sig) and wondering what the opinions are ?

I am not looking at true top-end, pennies are not that free flowing at present :rolleyes: ..... so what is the advice ?

I'm not too worried over nVidia or ATI, not really a fan-boy, although I have had mainly nVidia to date (FX5200, FX5600, FX5900, 6800GT PCI-e, 7800GT current).......and not likely to ever actually go the SLI route (even with mobo I have)......

So, looking around £200 -ish (please keep the -ish in mind :rolleyes: ).....what should I do ? 7900GT ? X1800XT ? anything else ?

The real thing for me is quality @ native resolution 1680x1050......ideally

Soldato
kevpuk said:
So, looking around £200 -ish (please keep the -ish in mind :rolleyes: ).....what should I do ? 7900GT ? X1800XT ? anything else ?

The real thing for me is quality @ native resolution 1680x1050......ideally
Unless you plan to volt-mod the 7900GT, I wouldn't bother buying it. The X1800XT is a much more powerful card at stock, and will give you nice eyecandy at your native resolution.

Soldato
OP
The X1900XT seems to be the route, from what I have been reading - seems the X1800XT really wouldn't be such a boost, although the 512MB version may be handy at my resolution....

Seems This Week Only has an MSI variant of the 1900XT for £249.95+vat, can already feel the first tugs on the wallet pocket..... :eek:

Just gonna have to find a home for my 7800GT......and find hidden stash of notes too :p

Is there any comparison to 7900GTX at this price bracket ?

Soldato
kevpuk said:
Is there any comparison to 7900GTX at this price bracket ?
Nope, the 7900GTXs are over-expensive to the max and in very short supply too it seems. The X1900XT (or XT-X, but frankly it's a waste of £50+ for 25mHz extra) is unbeatable in the price-range it's in.

Soldato
OP
With the consensus leaning (strongly !! :p ) towards a X1900XT, which one ! Seems to me that the tech spec is the same for each manufacturer (discounting the XT-X models) :eek:

I see This Week Only has a few variants : MSI, PowerColour and Sapphire for very similar prices......so, should one just head for the cheapest (i.e. MSI) ?

Soldato
kevpuk said:
So it really is just down to preference.....no better warranty/overclock/bundle/support ?
I've always heard people say their PowerColour cards overclock very nicely, but I have never used one myself. Sapphire cards overclock great in my experience.

I am pretty sure the support is the same for all of them, but I have never had a problem with Sapphire technical support. I think the bundles are the same too.

Warranty is pretty much all the same.

I would suggest Sapphire, but as PowerColour are generally a fair bit cheaper I would grab one of those. :)

Caporegime
If you don't want to stretch then go for the x1800 XT, fantastic cards, and a cracking price now, its also faster than the 7900 GT, if you are willing to stretch a bit, then go for the x1900, on par with the 7900 GTX's, can do HDR+AA at the same time, and are cheaper, just use more power, generate more heat, and some ppl say noisy (which they aint), but if you find it noisy then get the Zalman to go with it, will keep it very cool/quiet, and still cheaper than the GTX. :)

Soldato
OP
LoadsaMoney said:
If you don't want to stretch then go for the x1800 XT, fantastic cards, and a cracking price now, its also faster than the 7900 GT, if you are willing to stretch a bit, then go for the x1900, on par with the 7900 GTX's, can do HDR+AA at the same time, and are cheaper, just use more power, generate more heat, and some ppl say noisy (which they aint), but if you find it noisy then get the Zalman to go with it, will keep it very cool/quiet, and still cheaper than the GTX. :)

I kinda think I would be best going for the 1900, simply to ensure I don't want to change again too soon - I think the 1800 may not be as much of a leap from my (tbh, pretty acceptable !) 7800GT OC.....

Now just to decide which variant/brand.....save a few pennies, or go with the reputation.....

Soldato
OP
okimanoob said:
Here's link to Anandtech's roundup of X1900XT/XTX's to look at
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2695

Which might be useful to you - they seem to prefer the Sapphire one's
;)

Nice one :) have had a good read......

Sapphire seem to be heartily recommended, then ;) I have also seen a HIS model - anyone got any experience of this brand ? Anandtech seem to like them......

Any ideas on what I should look for on my BFG 7800GT OC ? Or should I really be posting in MM.....?

Back
Top Bottom