Soldato
I need a new PSU to power:

X2 @ 3Ghz
2Gb ram
few fans
74Gb Raptor
X1900XT overclockerd

So 520+W..

So, what is the best and most efficent PSU out there, the Seasonic 600W looks good but I cant find a review loading them up properly :(

What should I get, money is no object if Im going to sell this 520W OCZ PowerStream..

Conc

Whats wrong with the Powerstream 520?

I power a dual core opteron at 2.7GHz, a x1900xtx overclocked, 4 hard drives, DD5 water cooling pump, plenty of fans, optical drives, and it copes just fine.

St@nners..

Well, I'm delighted with my seasonic 600W, excellent build quality, solid as a rock and silent

Can't ask for much more really tbh - I have no hands on experience with any of the other heavyweight PSUs though...

st@nners said:
Whats wrong with the Powerstream 520?

I power a dual core opteron at 2.7GHz, a x1900xtx overclocked, 4 hard drives, DD5 water cooling pump, plenty of fans, optical drives, and it copes just fine.

St@nners..

Perhaps, but looking at reviews it has no active PFC and has **** efficency.

Plus I have been having random crashes, and ive replaced everything apart from the PSU.

Its either the 600 or 500W Seasonic, I dont really know which one, but the 600W looks the best!!

Conc

Concorde Rules said:
Perhaps, but looking at reviews it has no active PFC and has **** efficency.

Plus I have been having random crashes, and ive replaced everything apart from the PSU.

Its either the 600 or 500W Seasonic, I dont really know which one, but the 600W looks the best!!

Conc

Depends when you bought it for the PFC. As far as i know the earlier ones had passive but the later ones like mine have active.

Yeah i also heard its not the most efficient supply but that dont really bother me.

People seem to rave over its very strong single 12V rail.

st@nners said:
Depends when you bought it for the PFC. As far as i know the earlier ones had passive but the later ones like mine have active.

Yeah i also heard its not the most efficient supply but that dont really bother me.

People seem to rave over its very strong single 12V rail.

Mines a old one, and ive been told that they struggle at high loads :(

Ill buy the 600W next week, gibbo.. special offer time? :p

Tagan don't make power supplies. Topower make the Tagan, based on a P5, same as the OCZ Modstream. I had three, two blew up and I sold the third before it had chance to do the same.

fornowagain said:
Tagan don't make power supplies. Topower make the Tagan, based on a P5, same as the OCZ Modstream. I had three, two blew up and I sold the third before it had chance to do the same.

Still it's a tagan power supply!!

and you must have been unlucky with them or overloading them!!!

booyaka said:
Still it's a tagan power supply!!

and you must have been unlucky with them or overloading them!!!

LOL overloaded. Tagan's are Taiwanese, not German btw, nothing wrong with that just out of interest. They're alright, if you know what your looking at, take a look inside. Mine died from poor windings on the primary, bad quality control is all. The PCB soldering is average, insulation average and the capacitors (Fuhjyyu , don't get me started) used are nothing special. Voltage stability and ripple, not bad, 4% on mine under load. Like I said, in general ok but nothing special. I've no idea where all this Tagan's are wonderful comes from, take a look inside a PCP&P, different league (v stabilty > 0.5% on mine, beat that).

Last edited:
opteron 165 @ 2.6 @ 1.4v
two hd's
two dvd-rw's
two dram
x1800xt pcie
4 usb
25% surge comp
20% cap ageing

Its wrong cos if I put in an fx60 (same chip+speed) i get only 535watt.

Back
Top Bottom