PC boot problem...maybe blown..?

Associate
Hi,
I think my PC has given up - maybe the mobo or CPU has blown.
I switched it off by accident (toe stuck on the off button for 7 secs and just shutdown !!). Then I tried to restart - here's what I get:
The fans spin up.
The hard drive spins up. and that's all.

I get no Bios beep. No lights on the keyboard or mouse. No monitor display action.

So I'm guessing something has died in there. I will strip it down and try a step-by-step rebuild with it when I get time. But maybe someone could hazard a guess now??

It's about 4 yrs old anyway and I was planning an upgrade (it's XP 3000, 512mb DDR PC2100, AS Rock K758x mobo, ATI radeon 6500 graphics - so quite out of date now)

Does it act as if its booting ie lots of hardisk access but with no monitor output?
Nothing should die just by being powered off... strange.
I'm placing my bets on the graphics.

Hi, no - no harddisk action apart from spinning up.
I've now stripped everything off it down t othe mobo, ram and cpu only and still there's nothing doing... not sure what else to test without assuming the cpu blew.
Only one other thing to mention - I was working from a USB stick when it went off. Can't see why that would make a difference though.

Gilbern74 said:
!!! Yikes !!!
Indeed. I'm somewhat more careful when i plug my memory stick in than i was before i read that.
Take it to school/library and see if it blows up one of their pc's. 'All i did was plug my memory stick in, honest'. ;)

The joys of computing.....

Having tested thoroughly and failed, and just ordered £550 worth of new kit.....................................

I unplugged the case to mobo usb cable that had the dodgy USB stick in it and 'for the hell of it' tried to boot once more........................

.........of course, it worked perfectly! :(

Oh well, was planning an upgrade anyway!

Back
Top Bottom